Kifaru duplex light meat question

kaborkian

FNG
Looking at the kifaru duplex light and a 22 mag day pack. With this combo there’s no load shelf/panel that goes on the frame. With the frame being open, what keeps the meat from pressing through the skeleton frame against your back?

marktole

WKR
Nothing, but having packed meat several times with mine, I can say I haven’t had that issue.

You can put the quarter panel on it. I did that after I packed meat in mine once. The meat stayed put but I had a nice blood stain all down my back. Any kind of waterproof panel will do it.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

OP
K

kaborkian

FNG
You can put the quarter panel on it. I did that after I packed meat in mine once. The meat stayed put but I had a nice blood stain all down my back. Any kind of waterproof panel will do it.

so would you just get the tactical frame instead? Adds a pound or so, but avoids a quarter panel.

No, I wouldn't. The light frame is still lighter, and I like the way it fits better. It vents better as well.
The quarter panel is actually extremely functional and only adds 11oz. I use it to hold all the meat in. You could do it lighter with just a cuben panel and some 3/4" dyneema webbing. I'm going to make one at some point when I'm feeling ambitious.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I made a small bib out of tyvek that attaches to the crossmember and hangs down. Keeps the blood mark off your back. I only put it on when I have meat and lives in my kill kit the rest of the time