Kifaru Duplex Lite (curved stays) VS Exo K3

JDB9818

WKR
I’m looking to see if anyone has tried both a Kifaru frame with curved stays vs the Exo K3 frame?

I had an Exo K2 frame and could never get it to where it was comfortable, but I loved the bag layout. Now I have a Kifaru Duplex Lite frame with the curved stays and that frame fits me well. I tried the “normal / flat” stays in the Kifaru frame and it wasn’t comfortable either.

I have the itch to try the Exo again but I’m worried that I won’t be able to get it to fit right like before.

Can anyone help me with this? Does changing the foam material or adding the shims in the lumbar pad on the Exo make much difference? I’m guessing there has to be a few guys or gals out there that need a curved option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jbxl20

WKR
🙋‍♂️ I love my EXO. I have 6400 bag and recently bought a 3200. I had so many issues trying to get it to fit me right. Im 5’ 9” 160. I was able to haul 60lbs regularly on hikes but always felt like
It wanted to sag and slide down because of the lack of a big but. I tried my buddies duplex lite a few times and the hip belt just felt a lot better than the EXO. I just recently swapped the the left and right belt wings ( so basically they are upside down) and the angle of the belt now hugs the top of my hips better and keeps the lumbar pad higher on my back. For
What it’s worth my friend uses an EXO 4800 on his duplex Frame. I wanted to avoid the hassle of mounting the EXO bag on the Kifaru frame.

Jbxl20

WKR
I did add a shim and swapped to the thicker foam pad and that did help as well before I swapped the belt. I think the main issue is the belt for skinny guys.

Attachments

• 389DFD36-1614-429F-8572-E1829C7F5BBE.jpeg
    389DFD36-1614-429F-8572-E1829C7F5BBE.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 53
  • B826056E-8C50-4861-9506-BA4F9BA9D201.jpeg
    B826056E-8C50-4861-9506-BA4F9BA9D201.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 52
You need i think 6 rock lobster buckles and a set of k3 1800 lid straps.
And a 4 pack of kifaru side straps..
20200513_173021.jpg20200513_173013.jpg

Last edited:

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve not tried the kifaru with the curved stays only the flat. I can tell you I think the K3 is a big improvement over the K2.

Sounds like my situation is similar to yours. Very curved back profile. On the wall test, I can fit a fist behind my back easily. I had the k3 and despite my efforts to get it to sit better with extra shims in the lumbar bad, it wouldn't sit well. Moved to kifaru duplex lite with curved stays and it's money for me. The thing I miss most is the easy access to the meat shelf on the exo. That velcro detachment from the top of the frame is a great design. Wish kifaru would make something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ammo29

FNG
My Exo pack is the 1800 with a top, belt pouch, and rifle sling. The bag releases from the top of the frame and the bottom of thebag expands from the frame so that the meat load can be strapped to the frame. Then the bag attached back to the top of the frame and strapped tightly around the meat load. No meat inside the bag with clothing and gear.

My cow pack out was bone in shoulders peeled from the ribcage. Guessing 30lb each. I should weigh my packs next season. An old man should know these things. That way I can brag about it when my kids start to get older and start noticing pack weight. Lol

Anyway, this pack is more comfortable than my designated meat pack that is a frame with a shelf.

S.Clancy

WKR
I have both. The Kifaru with the curved stays is more comfortable for me. Im an anatomical weirdo for a man tho. If you watch the video for whether you need the curved stays, Im the one that can can get all the way up to my elbow with my feet, butt and upper back on the wall.

Oddly, both packs fit my waist/hips fine. The way the curved Kifaru frame hugs my back, I get much less pressure on my shoulders packing weight, even heavy weight. Thats the biggest difference

And I just use the Exo bags on the Kifaru frame. See advice in above posts.

No opinion on the kifaru but I run the K2. Always felt like the pack would slip down carrying heavy loads. Would constantly be jumping up to re align it on my hips. Called exo cust service about it and they sent me a new higher density foam lumbar pad specifically for the k2 free of charge. It seems to be working well so far.

OP
J

JDB9818

WKR
As a follow up, since Exo has a 30 try it period my curiosity got the best of me and I ordered one.

With the stiffer foam in the lumbar pad the pack feels very comfortable to me. I'm sticking with the Exo as I just like the bag layouts better.

I put a few miles on it scouting this weekend and I'm very happy with pack overall.

Sounds like my situation is similar to yours. Very curved back profile. On the wall test, I can fit a fist behind my back easily. I had the k3 and despite my efforts to get it to sit better with extra shims in the lumbar bad, it wouldn't sit well. Moved to kifaru duplex lite with curved stays and it's money for me. The thing I miss most is the easy access to the meat shelf on the exo. That velcro detachment from the top of the frame is a great design. Wish kifaru would make something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No doubt. Pods 8 made me a custom bag for my Kifaru frame with the Velcro attachment at the top. It’s ‘da bomb.