Kifaru Duplex UL Frame Owners

So how do you like the frame? I just pulled the trigger and ordered one. The Bikini frame is officially retired.

Marble

WKR
They are wonderful pieces of gear. I just took my pack off the frame the other day and removed all the little pieces of debris from the past year. Compressed it all back done and put it away.

OP
trophyhill
They are wonderful pieces of gear. I just took my pack off the frame the other day and removed all the little pieces of debris from the past year. Compressed it all back done and put it away.

Have you hauled heavy weight with it yet? If so, how'd it do?

bbrown

WKR
I’ve had basically every version of the frames they have sold. The Duplex Lite is my favorite so far. Plenty of miles backpacking and scouting, hauled a pile of elk, deer, antelope and even a couple of AK bone-in moose quarters. The latest frame is the best balance of weight, comfort and durability so far. Then the original duplex, followed by the bikini and lastly the hunter duplex in my opinion.

Last edited:

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my UL frame and have had no issues with heavy loads @ 80lbs.
It can haul more than I am physically capable of hauling and not dying. The belt is the best in the business and I've tried them all. I live near Boise, so exo is 12 miles from my house and initial ascent is 30 miles and I went with kifaru and will never need another frame.

I would make sure you don't want or need the extra attachment points you get with the lite. There is a very small difference in weight savings.

If I had to do it again, I would get the lite for the above reason.

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
What do you miss about the Bikini?

I felt the Bikini was a better daypack. It was more flexible and moved better as I was climbing or working thru the woods. But then those same attributes prevented it from carrying weight as well. I still brought out a couple 110-120 pound loads with it. But that same load was less sucky with the Duplex.

I also felt I could shoulder a rifle better with the bikini, and preferred its' overall weight.

Dont get me wrong. The Duplex is a serious workhorse.

OP
trophyhill
I felt the Bikini was a better daypack. It was more flexible and moved better as I was climbing or working thru the woods. But then those same attributes prevented it from carrying weight as well. I still brought out a couple 110-120 pound loads with it. But that same load was less sucky with the Duplex.

I also felt I could shoulder a rifle better with the bikini, and preferred its' overall weight.

Dont get me wrong. The Duplex is a serious workhorse.

Yes it works well in "daypack" or "hunt" mode for sure. I can't really complain. Just a little less uncomfortable with heavy loads is what I'm looking for. If I can get that out of this frame, it will likely be the last frame I ever buy.

tdot

WKR
Yes it works well in "daypack" or "hunt" mode for sure. I can't really complain. Just a little less uncomfortable with heavy loads is what I'm looking for. If I can get that out of this frame, it will likely be the last frame I ever buy.

You'll definitely get that out of this frame. You may very well have the last frame you'll ever buy. (y)

Marble

WKR
Have you hauled heavy weight with it yet? If so, how'd it do?
Yes I have. Did two trips with around 100 pounds each. Then several out trips in the 40 to 60 lbs range.

In the past I would always have pain in my shoulders, or back, upper and lower, hips.. you get it. I was never uncomfortable, never had pain, or residual pain from packing. Well that's not true. On the 100+ pound pack outs, I had some bruising on my lumber after the trips, right above my butt. But I think after 15 miles in a day with 100 pounds for half of it, one bruise isnt much to sweat.