Kifaru duplex vs hunter vs UL frames

mossyhorn

FNG
what is the difference? I have no experience with kifaru but looking at getting something to use as a daypack for elk hunting. I want something just for day hunts that I can drop an elk quarter in between the frame and bag. That's pretty much it.

I know there's lots of bag options but what's up with the frame choices? I also was hoping to buy used too to save some cash.

Im no expert but will offer what I learned because not long ago I was confused as well. There used to be a duplex frame and a bikni frame. Duplex being heavier and designed for big loads. Bikini being a lightweight option. I had a bikini frame and really liked it. It hauls heavy loads just fine and is much lighter than the duplex. I was annoyed by loads pushing through the stays and touching my back. That was my only real complaint. Also both of these frames are fairly annoying to get fitted. But once adjusted they stay in place and ride perfectly. The duplex and the bikni will be the easiest to find used because they are the older options. And there is likely a lot of people getting rid of them to get the newer offerings.

The newer offerings... there is now a new frame that comes in a tactical, hunting and ultralight configuration. Its pretty similar in each configuration but slightly different. I know little of the tactical option. I understand its a bit beefier and had has a few more strap options. The hunting and UL are the same frame but on the UL the stays are removed and replaced with carbon fiber arrows. I now have a hunting frame. I am loving it its amazing. I plan to get the arrows ($10 from kifaru or cut my own) which would allow you to make your hunting frame a UL frame by pulling out the stays and inserting the arrow stays. Which is simple and easy to do and undo.

Good luck.

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
I'd get one of the older options, off the classifieds, probably the bikini if you're just looking for a capable day pack. They can be had for cheap right now with everyone upgrading to the new frame. You could always sell later and buy the newer setup.

Having owned a couple of bikinis, duplexes, and now a new hunting/UL frame I suggest you go ahead and buy a UL frame. The upgrades to the suspension vs the older options are amazing. Torso pads, lumbar pad, and shoulder straps have all been upgraded. The frame sheet on the hunting/UL is 1/16" hdpe vs 1/8" hdpe on the tactical. The UL flexes with you extremely well yet maintains the same ability to haul loads much heavier than you'd ever want to carry.

Yes, older duplex and bikini frames can be found at extremely discounted prices and still function better than most manufacturers on the market but the new frames are unbelievable. Save yourself the time and money and order a UL frame. You'll be money ahead.

dotman

WKR
I'd get one of the older options, off the classifieds, probably the bikini if you're just looking for a capable day pack. They can be had for cheap right now with everyone upgrading to the new frame. You could always sell later and buy the newer setup.

I agree, the bikini is a very good frame that is more then capable. The UL duplex is what I have and it is more comfortable then the bikini and carries all weight levels better, it really is shocking because the bikini fit me perfectly and I loved that frame.

If getting new I highly recommend the UL duplex. If going used get what you can get the best deal on. My buddy put arrows in his Gen 2 Duplex (old frame now) and dropped a pound off that frame and it is still very comfortable. The bikini doesn't give you an option of changing out stays.

Last edited:

midwest

FNG
Is there any difference in the frame sheet between the old duplex and the new hunting/ul duplex?

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
You mention wanting to put the meat between the bag and frame. I don't know how well the duplex does that but the new frames were designed to have that capability. Kifaru is also coming out with some new bags with meat shelves.

I agree, I just gave my setup away pretty much but the bikini is a very good frame that is more then capable. The UL duplex is what I have now and it is more comfortable then the bikini and carries all weight levels better, it really is shocking because the bikini fit me perfectly and I loved that frame.

If getting new I highly recommend the UL duplex. If going used get what you can get the best deal on. My buddy put arrows in his Gen 2 Duplex (old frame now) and dropped a pound off that frame and it is still very comfortable. The bikini doesn't give you an option of changing out stays.

Dotman, that's concerning for me.,. I love my bikini and resigned myself to not buying the new frame because I can't imagine me liking it more then the bikini.

dotman

WKR
It really is surprising that they could make a frame better then the previous frames but they did.

weaver

WKR
Dotman, that's concerning for me.,. I love my bikini and resigned myself to not buying the new frame because I can't imagine me liking it more then the bikini.

Same for me...think I'm going to try one anyway.
Can't hurt to have two frames can it?:)

I definitely agree that the UL hunting frame is the way to go hands down. The back pads, lumbar pad, and new shoulder straps really make a difference. It flexes and moves with your body very well. I packed a muley buck + gear out last weekend and it was impressively comfortable. The pack stayed put the whole time and I didn't get a single hot spot anywhere.

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
They're the exact same frame. The UL has carbon arrow stays which makes it lighter, the Hunting comes with either aluminum or composite stays. I went with the Hunting frame and will most likely try out the arrows stays next year to see which I prefer. The arrow stays are only $10 or something.

dotman

WKR
what are pros and cons of Ultralight vs Hunting frame?

Only con I can think of is the hunting frame weighs more. I was skeptical of the carbon arrows at first, not anymore. Other then that they are the same.

The UL will handle more weight then most will want to pack.

PredatorX

WKR
I know I am going to have to just try the bikini and the new duplex UL side by side, but will the new UL be as comfortable when shooting a bow? I like how the bikini back pads move slightly but maybe the new UL flexes enough on its own.