Kifaru Duplex - which pockets for day use?

midwest

FNG
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site. I recognize several here from Bowsite. I'm looking forward to hanging out here and learning/contributing what I can.

I like the design intent of the Kifaru Duplex frame and being able to buy one suspension system to mount any size bag I may need for that particular hunt or strip it bare and use it strictly as a hauler. Coupled with the load sling, I would think the grab it would be unnecessary.
Instead of buying one of the Timberline bags for it, at this time, I would just like to buy a couple of the pockets to mount directly to the frame for day hunting. One for the water bladder and another for the regular daily essentials like game bags, rain gear, first aid, filter, lunch, etc. When something is down, the pockets can be moved to the outside of the sling and the first bag of meat can be mounted right up against the frame for easier hauling.

Has anyone set one up like this? I'm just wondering what size of pockets I would need. Of course I'll be calling Kifaru for their input.

JG358

WKR
I'm going to run a couple KU LPs on mine. I have a couple pods to but I think the LPs and cargo panel are going to be about perfect for day hunts.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the cargo panel with an e&e, as well as a couple of 2 quarts fir the belt. I use the mystery ranch top lid so have a place for a small bladder if need be. However the Kifaru bags cinch down really small.

Curtis C

WKR
I use an E&E above a long pocket and then a grabit on my frame for day hunts. A Platypus bladder hangs between the E&E and the frame using a light biner. A CP would work better for hauling meat loads.

C

OP
M

midwest

FNG
I need to clarify when I said "coupled with a load sling" above, I was refering to the cargo panel. For you guys using the E&E, is there a reason you're using the heavier E&E instead of the 500 Light back pouch?

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Watching this.
I was thinking maybe the tactical cargo panel, due to all the PALS/molle webbing, allowing for a more versatile combination of pockets/pods etc.

Curtis C

WKR
The back pouch should work very well and will save some weight.
For day hunts with a frame I doubt I will ever notice the 11oz extra. I went with the E&E because it offered more mounting options. I have mine mounted using custom straps so that the pack is secured to frame even when the E&E buckles are undone and the pack is opened. This setup mounts the pack pretty solid to the frame.

C

Lawnboi

WKR
I'll be getting a KU e&e for all my kifaru packs now and in the future. It's light and plus it will make a great breakaway pack for stalking ect when you don't want your hauler on your back

KU e&e is only 9.5 oz. Light!

Last edited:

muleman

WKR
Here are a couple of pictures of how I use the 26" Duplex frame in day mode. This is a 500 Back Pouch, 500 Long Pocket Side Zip, and Cargo Panel.

I put 3 liters of water, food, and first aid kit in the Back Pouch. The Long pocket gets my kill kit, extra insulation, and Poncho Tarp with stakes and guy lines.

The second picture show a Zeiss 85mm with a Manfrotto 190CXPro3 with a 700RC2 fluid head, strapped to the side of the Back Pouch and the Cargo Panel folded over.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349378053104.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349378053104.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 218
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349378083507.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349378083507.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 205
OP
M

midwest

FNG
That looks perfect, muleman! Although, I think I would put my bladder in the long pocket. Thanks for the pics.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Here is mine set up for day hunts. I have used it the past 2 elk season and love it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
M

midwest

FNG
wyelkhunter, can't see your pics.

And I was asking anyone about the length of stays. Are the 26" stays for taller people?

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm 5'6. I have 26in stays in my hauler. Why not have the extra lift? It's not like it gets in the way. I could have gotten away with 24s. But why, when I have heavy loads I'm glad iv got that steeper angle.

I havnt read someone complaining of too much lift yet

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
it is about 4" by 5", It is just an old pouch I had around. I bought some clips that I believe are like badlands uses on their pouches to attach it to the webbing. My Camera spare battery and little camera clip fit in it and then I put diaphram my calls in the outer zipper pocket.