Kifaru Eastern Ruck or Stryker input needed

Magicmatt

FNG
I want to get a nice Kifaru pack . Eastern ruck or tactical frame and Stryker
WI whitetail tree stand or ground Blind hunting. I have two boys and always packing in a lot of gear. Would be used to carry mineral blocks, rottiller for small plots, tree stands, ground Blinds , during off season and in season.
Also Plan to get into a western hunt next year .
I like the Stryker As the added camp bag could make it a work for occasional out west and then a workhorse for Wi.
The eastern ruck with the grab it at the bottom seems like it could work well. How would ruck work for carrying in mineral blocks or 60lbs gear compared to full frame of Stryker
Also ruck is like $300 cheaper , any thoughts or better ideas

A frame and Stryker is going to be a lot more versatile. I’ve been using my Shape Charge for a whitetail day pack but I’m really leaning towards ordering a frame and Stryker this offseason. I think it’d be the ticket for a do all type setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Magicmatt

FNG
i Was leaning toward the frame and Stryker. Any input on 24 or 26 sizes

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
I had an eastern ruck, didn't care for it for treestand hunting. The side access zippers are pretty small and the roll top is not good for easy quiet access.

I'll be trying a stryker for next season.

Outlaw99

WKR
If anyone is looking for a lite frame, I have a bikini Im looking to move.

Pezboat

WKR
If you want to carry in a ground blind or a stand or anything that weighs 30 pounds or more, go with the frame and Stryker.

Shraggs

WKR
I’ll throw monkey wrench in. How about a bigger pack like a reckoning. Definitely a staple for western elk hunting, mid sized can carry a lot and still compress down for day use only.

I just started using mine for cold weather whitetail hunting! I carry my bibs and parka and has some room to spare. Been stealing it in my eberle x2 but this is so much better with center zip and easily carry rifle in too on the pack.

With the off season stuff you mentioned, you could carry all that, plus seed, cameras all your trimming equipment in one hail.

I would agree with the Reckoning as well. Large bag especially in the early season but it compresses well. I would say the 44 Mag would be another great option, especially if used more in the whitetail woods compared to the Reckoning

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with the Reckoning as well. Large bag especially in the early season but it compresses well. I would say the 44 Mag would be another great option, especially if used more in the whitetail woods compared to the Reckoning

I loved the layout of the 44mag but I returned it. Just too much bag for what I needed for whitetail.

You might be the first guy I've seen want to carry a rototiller in their pack!! Lol! I have several of the packs mentioned and I'd go with the Stryker for your application. The ER is a solid pack, but not gonna carry a rototiller nearly as well.

I use a shape charge and quandary as my WT packs. The shape charge is perfect for camera gear, organization and strapping stuff to the pack. The quandary is sufficient for stand hunting, but wish it was easier to lash a jacket to the back for the hike in. The 44 mag is way to big for an everyday WT pack IMO.

Ask Kifaru on frame size, they have been spot on for me. I had a 26 and they said I should go with a 24 and that has been just fine.

OP
M

Magicmatt

FNG
You might be the first guy I've seen want to carry a rototiller in their pack!! Lol! I have several of the packs mentioned and I'd go with the Stryker for your application. The ER is a solid pack, but not gonna carry a rototiller nearly as well.

I use a shape charge and quandary as my WT packs. The shape charge is perfect for camera gear, organization and strapping stuff to the pack. The quandary is sufficient for stand hunting, but wish it was easier to lash a jacket to the back for the hike in. The 44 mag is way to big for an everyday WT pack IMO.

Ask Kifaru on frame size, they have been spot on for me. I had a 26 and they said I should go with a 24 and that has been just fine.
Thanks for the input. Tiller is sweet , it’s a Gas powered Sthil that folds up pretty good. We have have property that a river runs thru and can’t get equipment over to the other side. but It has a small foot bridge. I like to make small food plots on that other side. It’s been working great for the last couple years. It’s just a pain to carry all the gear

Travis907

WKR
I think the first question needs to be how big a rototiller you want to carry?:sneaky:
The Stryker seems more versatile for many situations in my opinion. It will be my next pack!

cg2737

WKR
I have ran the Eastern ruck for the last two years. Prior to that I ran the cargo panel with two #11 lock and load pouches and an organizer for several years.

The cargo panel worked extremely well for hauling treestands and my double bull 360 matrix blind. It also works very well for hauling 3D targets. The pouches held enough gear for early season but were not large enough for late season when additional clothing is needed.

The Eastern Ruck has been a great pack for me. I use it on my Tactical Frame and don't utilize the shoulder straps that came with it. I am able to haul stands and blinds very easily and secure. I have used the Eastern ruck with the shoulder straps provided and thought it did not carry as well as with my frame. In addition the Eastern Ruck is a pretty large pack that allows for bulkier clothing to be carried along. I agree with an earlier comment that the side zippers are not great for accessing things near the bottom of the main pack. However being aware of that I load it so when reaching for clothes to layer up they come out of the pack in order.

If I were you I would buy a frame and the Stryker. Both setups will do what you want them to, but if you have a frame you can explore other Kifaru pack options. Watch the classifieds and test packs out. If you are not happy with one you can always put it back up for sale and probably not lose a dime.