Kifaru frame and bag

Deadmeat

WKR
Wanting to purchase a new frame and bag from kifaru for backcountry elk and mule deer. Average 10-14 day hunts. Give me suggestions on kifaru only please. Meat shelf or no meat shelf? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tradchef

WKR
Lots of good choices. Just depends on what layout you want, what bag looks good to you and what you need the pack to do for you. I would say if you are looking past 10 days ....AMR, Fulcrum, Mountain Warrior, Muskeg, and depending on how you pack the Reckoning. Are you going to use it more than just for one hunt or will you use it a lot? Meat shelf is a personal preference. I don’t like them. I’ve used them and compared it to hauling it inside the main bag and I prefer no meat shelf personally. Either way Is fine it’s just what you like.

OP
Deadmeat

Deadmeat

WKR
I will be using pack on at least one hunt a year. The frame might be used multiple times for hauling meat. I did a hunt in Alaska last year and they required moose meat to stay attached to leg bones and I plan on going back just didn’t know if you and fit moose quarter in bag or if shelf is only way to go for that.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Fulcrum with a Quarter Panel given your planned duration. Meat shelves are more of a gimmicky element in bag design. If you’re looking to make multiple trips to haul big parts, then attach a Quarter Panel between your bag and your frame. It’s a beefier meat shelf if you want to leave your pack on, but also allows you to drop the pack for your meat only loads. Plus it’s a great training tool...if you’re into humping weight around for fun.

fatrascal

WKR
All good suggestions up above. One pack that has not been mentioned yet is the Nomad. With the Nomad you can use a small bag or a large bag. In fact you can go with as big of a bag as you choose. Or you can go bagless and use a Quarter panel or Cargo panel. The options are limitless with the Nomad. Fatrascal.

OP
Deadmeat

Deadmeat

WKR
What frame do you guys suggest then?

Tradchef

WKR
I run a reckoning and I also run a cargo panel with guide lid and pockets for day hunts and load hauling. I’m using the lite frame and it did a great job last season.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Duplex Lite. It’s all you need. The tactical is really designed for, as the name suggests, a different set of conditions.

Run the Quarter Panel between your bag and the Duplex Lite and, besides acting as a meat or load hauler, it also serves as a frame sheet.

Thorn154

FNG
Depends, if you’re hauling massive weight go with tactical, if not go with the Duplex Lite

I was wondering on frames to, curious what the limit is before it's defined as "massive"? I doubt I'm doing anything bigger than elk quarters in the foreseeable future. Thx

I was wondering on frames to, curious what the limit is before it's defined as "massive"? I doubt I'm doing anything bigger than elk quarters in the foreseeable future. Thx
No Aron said that he’s hauled moose quarters out with the duplex lite. The tactical he said is more for awkward heavy loads all the time. Honestly for most folks the duplex lite it’s more than enough

OP
Deadmeat

Deadmeat

WKR
That’s good to know cause I plan on hauling moose quarters. My last trip I had a badlands Ox Frame and it handled quarters pretty good.IMG_2908.jpg

OP
Deadmeat

Deadmeat

WKR
Purchased a Kifaru duplex lite frame super pumped to get it! Thanks for help! Haven’t made my mind up on pack yet.

MLon9242

FNG
I’ve been going through the same thing trying to decide between the lite and the tactical frame. As long as the lite can handle awkward loads some of the time I think I’m going with the lite. Especially since I want a wolf grey and typhon setup to keep it dark.

fatlander

WKR
I’ve got a tactical frame because I haul some awkward stuff with mine around home pretty frequently. The 1 pound difference in the lite and tactical doesn’t really matter to me either.

GHOSTofWENDELL

Lil-Rokslider
As far as meat shelf goes I believe almost all their bags come pretty standard with it. Even older models they are still producing(for example the Mountain warrior did not launch with a meat shelf but has one now). I am currently running a mountain warrior, with a guide lid and Sherman pocket. I get 10 days easily out of it.
I have an older model without the meat shelf but I would use it if it had one. Just for the first pack out and then dumping camp in the truck and the remaining trips would have meat in the main bag.