Kifaru Frame for Mountain Ramber?

Rodéo

WKR
I picked up a kifaru mountain rambler bag from another member on here a while back and I've been trying to frankenstein it to my SG xcurve for a while now but none of the configurations I've tried are ideal.

Wondering if anyone knows which Kifaru frame the mountain rambler was intended to go on? I know they made this bag about 5 years ago and abruptly stopped due to some IP infringement claims but I love the lay out on this pack so I'd like to keep it and give it a try.

Thanks!

If you'd like to see pics of the bag or attachment points I can provide those if that'll make this easier.

MtnMuley

WKR
I run one on a bikini frame and have also had it on the 2016 hunting frame. Both worked fine.

Kifaru made it for all of their frames.
The bag should hang from two tabs at the top of the frame. Then use the side release buckles to attach it on the sides of the frame.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Kifaru made it for all of their frames.
The bag should hang from two tabs at the top of the frame. Then use the side release buckles to attach it on the sides of the frame.
This particular bag doesn't have sleeves to attach to the top of the frame like their newer bags I've looked at. I've attached it to the frame the way you're describing and it works but it's not deal because too much of the weight hangs off the top of the frame when it's attached using the included g-hooks. This method of attaching has the load lifters always maxed out which makes the contents of at the bottom shift a lot and makes for an uncomfortable carry.

Kind of want to see how Kifaru originally intended this bag to be attached to one of their frames so I can get a better idea of how to make it a comfortable pack on my xframe. I may have Pods8 modify it to add a sleeve and a couple other things like internal attachment points and a hole for hose from a water bladder.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
I run one on a bikini frame and have also had it on the 2016 hunting frame. Both worked fine.
Did yours come with g-hooks to attach the top of the bag to the top of the frame? Or is it a male/female buckle system like they currently use?

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
It sounds like you are connecting it the way it was intended. Check out this Kifaru video for more information (around the 3:40 mark) :
Awesome. Thanks for posting that. I'll keep playing around with it but I really haven't liked that connection set up at all so far. The bag is so nice and functional that I'll probably keep playing around with it until I get it to carry right. May even have pods8 modify it to fit an SG properly if necessary.

There’s several Mtn Rambler videos. Maybe 5-6 more just like the one above. Shows lots of options and capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
Did yours come with g-hooks to attach the top of the bag to the top of the frame? Or is it a male/female buckle system like they currently use?
I just had tabs so I used condor clips to attach it. Never had an issue with them.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Got the issue solved. Watched the videos and tinkered for a bit and ended up ditching the g hooks and attached the bag to an xcurve with some autolocks on the bag and load lifter straps on the xcurve. Rearranged some buckles and it seems to carry weight much better now. Thanks everybody.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Just a heads up that the newest frames don't work as well with the Rambler since they are missing the proper attach points for the load sling.

rbljack

WKR
following this..i have a rambler that will need a frame at some point. Been running my reckoning for everything so far.

jj554

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up that the newest frames don't work as well with the Rambler since they are missing the proper attach points for the load sling.
I'm not sure if you are still running the mountain rambler but if so, can you clarify what the proper attachment points are for the load sling? I have one of the newer tactical frames and it looks like I only have one set up loops at the middle of the frame for the upper attachment. Did the older frames have a second set of loops at the bottom or what?

Dobermann

WKR
I'm not sure if you are still running the mountain rambler but if so, can you clarify what the proper attachment points are for the load sling? I have one of the newer tactical frames and it looks like I only have one set up loops at the middle of the frame for the upper attachment. Did the older frames have a second set of loops at the bottom or what?
Maybe post some marked-up photos so we all can be sure we're talking about the same thing.

But FWIW, I messed with the Mountain Rambler a bunch a few years back, and from memory, there were two places where the innermost section of the bag / meat shelf could attach, but only really one option on the standard Duplex frame. It looked like the Tactical might solve this, but I haven't yet got one to try it out.

It's a great pack in theory, but I found it to be a bit sloppy and require a lot of swapping buckles for other attachment hardware to get it anywhere useable. And the lid never really seemed to line up. I'm a little bit of a romantic for this pack - I just really wanted it to work - so haven't got rid of it ... but havnen't really found an attachment method that really works yet.

There are a couple of threads here that have a lot of detailed photos from various members showing different attachment options - well worth checking out.

The Tactical frames have the proper attachment spots (upper and lower) for the load sling. The Lite frame dropped the upper common loops off the frame. You’ll only have the lower common loops for attachment. That’s what Justin is talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk