Kifaru Frame for Whitetails

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Kind of an offshoot of the "Must Have" Kifaru thread, but a little more item specific. I currently have a Kifaru Lite frame, Reckoning bag, OGL, a Grab-it, and a few pouches. When I purchased all this gear, my plan was for future DIY Western Elk hunts, but also possible use for Eastern Whitetail hunting. I hunt Whitetails in some rugged mountain ground in NC PA. Usually I am 2- 4 miles from the truck and dragging deer has been getting more difficult every year. I was hoping to be able to use this frame to pack out a quartered Whitetail to eliminate the drag. I have never hunted Whitetails with a backpack, so I want to keep it simple. I know the Reckoning will haul my meat out, but it will be empty until hauling. I was looking at either the cargo panel, or the quarter panel to run on the frame with the OGL and maybe a belt pouch and grab-it for my Whitetail hunting to keep it as compact as possible. Obviously the quarter panel is smaller and simpler, but I'm not sure it will be enough to haul all 4 quarters plus trim meat, plus head and cape. Anybody have experience with this type of set up and a Whitetail sized animal? How has either worked out for you? I understand that I may have to make 2 trips, but that will still be much easier than the drags I encounter. Thanks.

Tradchef

WKR
The cargo panel, guide lid and some pouches are what I run for day hunts out here for deer and elk. Compresses down super thin, can hold what I need and hauls anything I can put in there. I think it would work perfect for what you are looking for. I had the exact same set up as you with the reckoning but with work getting in the way of extended hunts this year I sold my bag and kept my cargo. Where in Pa are you at? I’ve got family down in Bucks Co and used to hunt there and over in Pike.

Attachments

• 1BAB4110-85DF-4F2E-9E71-B4CD1F9DFC2E.jpeg
    1BAB4110-85DF-4F2E-9E71-B4CD1F9DFC2E.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 16350541-FC74-4E6F-BB73-D5790E12AE60.jpeg
    16350541-FC74-4E6F-BB73-D5790E12AE60.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 78

Brendan

WKR
Personally, I'd just use the Reckoning. The pack will compress down to the size of the frame anyways, and you always have the option of going meat-shelf mode or sandwiching stuff between frame and bag.

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice! That's what I was thinking may suit me best being I will not need the pack for anything other than hauling if successful. I will hold on to the Reckoning for my elk hunts though. I hunt Elk and Cameron Counties the most.

I dayhunt in NY and north east PA with a backpack. I ran a woodsman for something similar on a 26 inch and then 22 inch frame. I swapped to a mystery ranch crew cab and now use a pop up 28 for the same role. The MR stuff fits me better but both MR and kifaru are great.

The deer I have hauled in PA and NY are probably 110-150 lbs on the hoof. Maybe a bit more for some of the bigger ones. That is 50-70 lbs of bone in meat, heart and liver. Add a cape and head to that and you are talking about a heck of a load. More than I would choose to haul at once. A kifaru frame will definitely handle the load in a sling but I wouldn’t carry that much in one trip over rough terrain unless I had to. I prefer a pack with a load sling so I can keep other gear in it when not hauling.

PMcGee

WKR
I use my duplex and emr2 every time I go out for deer. Throw my harness and rain jacket in the bag and everything else goes in the lid.
2784008f7ff66649923fb38120d7bd15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I should also mention that I am rifle hunting only. I do not bow hunt and strictly hunt from the ground. I get by now carrying everything I need in my pockets. The only additions I will have if I go this route is probably my skinning knife (I know I can get by with my Havalon but the skinning knife makes it easy), and game bags. I have drug many deer out of the mountains whole, so I think I can handle the weight of a quartered animal if I can secure it to the pack. I may have to make 2 trips to get to the top of mountain or to a forest road, but once there, I think I can handle the load. I may be wrong.

I am a pennsylvania guy who has hunted Cameron county a good bit when I was younger. We always drug deer out of those hills and it really sucked.

I now hunt elsewhere and no longer drag deer anywhere.

I run a kifaru hunter frame. I started out with a reckoning and always used the meat shelf to haul meat. I switched to a cargo panel. It's worked Ok but is not perfect.

I just ordered another reckoning and will be hauling meat in the bag from now on. It's just too simple to put a contractor bag in the reckoning and throw deer quarters in and go.

Tradchef

WKR
I am a pennsylvania guy who has hunted Cameron county a good bit when I was younger. We always drug deer out of those hills and it really sucked.

I now hunt elsewhere and no longer drag deer anywhere.

I run a kifaru hunter frame. I started out with a reckoning and always used the meat shelf to haul meat. I switched to a cargo panel. It's worked Ok but is not perfect.

I just ordered another reckoning and will be hauling meat in the bag from now on. It's just too simple to put a contractor bag in the reckoning and throw deer quarters in and go.

Another great point. I don’t use the meat shelf on my bags. The reckoning is a great do all pack for sure

adamm88

WKR
I use my duplex and emr2 every time I go out for deer. Throw my harness and rain jacket in the bag and everything else goes in the lid.
2784008f7ff66649923fb38120d7bd15.jpg

What is this setup that holds the stand? Grab it and guide lid with-a extra compression strap around the stand? What stand are you running? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I know my Reckoning will work. Thats why I bought it. It is probably my best option but I'm always searching for a better mouse trap. Thanks for the replies.

FWIW, I recently started hunting some public land in MO that is about a mile back through thorn patch after thorn patch. Dragging dead animals is not an option so I started carrying my ILBE instead of the small waist pack I used to have. With a couple external straps, I can compress it down to be quite compact. I also ground rifle hunt and my tripod chair fits nicely in the side pocket.

I haven’t hauled a deer out with it get, but have practiced with 50lbs of sand. It will do the job.

Brendan

WKR
I know my Reckoning will work. Thats why I bought it. It is probably my best option but I'm always searching for a better mouse trap. Thanks for the replies.
My opinion: I've had the cargo panel. I wouldn't consider it a better mousetrap. Sold it and went back to other bags for whitetail and stand hauling. I like having the bag to allow me to layer up/down easily and not sweat, haul harness or saddle and ropes.

22 Mag is my favorite, use it on a 22" frame and attach stands over the bag. If I could only have one bag for everything it'd probably be an EMR2 on a 24" frame.

BAKPAKR

WKR
If you are just wanting to get new/different Kifaru gear, you might consider a Woodsman. I carried one all last fall on my tactical frame. Although I kept most of my whitetail hunting stuff in the guide lid and pockets, I did keep my raingear/camera/tripod in the bag.

9FEB0A5F-F73B-427D-B718-16F7808D133D.jpeg

PMcGee

WKR
What is this setup that holds the stand? Grab it and guide lid with-a extra compression strap around the stand? What stand are you running? Thanks

Yeah grab it and extra strap. Stand is a summit open shot.

Great thread! Kifaru frame and nomad work great to haul a ground blind and chair too! Did it for turkey this year! Never using the cheap primos bags again! Wish I had a picture

Felix40

WKR
A grab it and guide lid will probably be the lightest option. It will work good but you will need at least a couple extra straps to get quarters to be secure. A grab it can actually be used to haul out a whole deer if you are close enough to want to go that route.

A cargo panel or bag would be easier to stuff quarters in and go. You might consider one of the minimalist bags to save some weight compared to the reckoning. I run a highcamp 4800 and its really nice to be able to just drop the quarters in and go.

Ive done it both ways and I think its worth it to have a bag and a grab it both so you have options. If you kill one fairly close to the truck its almost easier to just bring him out whole.whole.PNGquartered.PNG

Last edited: