Kifaru Frame Size Recommendations

MountainZ

FNG
Looking for feedback on Kifaru frame length. I plan on running a 22 MAG 90+% of the time. Possibly a 44 MAG if I decide I really need more room, but not planning on that to start. I'm trying to decide between a 24" Duplex Lite and 22" Tactical for a frame. I'm 6'4" with a 20" torso. Slim and fit; broad shoulders and chest, skinny waist, arms, legs. This will be an archery-specific pack. I need to strap my compound bow on for longer hikes, but the pack will mostly be carrying food, lightweight gear, clothes, and tools, etc.. I'm a bushcraft-style, lightweight, camper. Archery-only. Also needs to work as my main day-pack for whatever I have to throw at it at any given time, including a ton of regular multi-hour archery shoots.

I'm inclined to go with the 24" Lite frame, but am curious if the 22" frame will just fit the 22 MAG bag better since that's what I plan to use, and if it will also fit me alright still, being fairly tall.

Any input is appreciated.

Nwmod39

FNG
Definitely new to kifaru packs here but I'm guessing at your height and torso length Kifaru would tell you to go with a 26" frame.

Best to call Kifaru direct.

Jbehredt

WKR
The extra cost and weight of those options is wasted if you’re getting a pack that short. No sense in carrying a frame around that doesn’t lift the weight off your shoulders and put it on your hips.

OP
M

MountainZ

FNG
Definitely new to kifaru packs here but I'm guessing at your height and torso length Kifaru would tell you to go with a 26" frame.

Best to call Kifaru direct.

Thanks. While that's my guess, as well, I thought I would beat the bushes and ask for input. I would love it if the 22 MAG was just 2" taller.

I wrote Kifaru, but haven't received a response.

OP
M

MountainZ

FNG
The extra cost and weight of those options is wasted if you’re getting a pack that short. No sense in carrying a frame around that doesn’t lift the weight off your shoulders and put it on your hips.

My torso length is shorter than 22", so I would get some lift out of a 22" frame. More, obviously, out of a taller frame, but then I'm walking around with a pack that's smaller than the frame most of the time. Are you a similar height? Have you tried multiple lengths of Kifaru frames? Thanks for the input.

The frame height is the height of the frame, not the torso size. If you're 6'4" pretty sure you'll want a 26" frame if youre gonna carry any weight.

Jbehredt

WKR
My torso length is shorter than 22", so I would get some lift out of a 22" frame. More, obviously, out of a taller frame, but then I'm walking around with a pack that's smaller than the frame most of the time. Are you a similar height? Have you tried multiple lengths of Kifaru frames? Thanks for the input.

I’m 6’2” and use every inch of my 26” tactical frame. My 5’4” wife just barely gets lift with a load on her 22” tactical.

OP
M

MountainZ

FNG
The frame height is the height of the frame, not the torso size.
Yep. Completely understood.

If you're 6'4" pretty sure you'll want a 26" frame if youre gonna carry any weight.
That's why I'm asking. The two main issues are: having a bunch of empty frame under the pack, and hiking with a long pack frame when most of the time I won't be hauling significant weight. Are you a similar size and have you tried multiple frame lengths? Thanks.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How often will you haul heavy stuff, how much, and how far?

Mystery Ranch has the "pop up" designed for what you describe.

OP
M

MountainZ

FNG
How often will you haul heavy stuff, how much, and how far?
I live in the mountains and spend many, many days hiking and packing each year. The heavy haul days are, overall, a very low percentage of the time in the big picture. Total miles for the year would be in the hundreds, or thousands. Total miles hauling heavy stuff just depends on the year. I want a pack that can shift quickly to different needs and fits me really well, rather than having several packs that each do one specific thing. Many packs are uncomfortable to shoot in, and I will wear the pack and shoot as much as anything else I do with it.

Fit is #1 here for me. Being tall with a big chest and shoulders and a skinny waist, few packs fit me well, and many are mediocre as archery-specific packs to wear while shooting.

Mystery Ranch has the "pop up" designed for what you describe.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have no interest in owning another Mystery Ranch pack.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am 6"2" with a long torso and never had a really comfortable pack until I bought one with an extra tall frame. For years I backpacked with an OK, one, but always just a little too small.

Have you ever run a tall framed pack that fit you? I didn't know what I didn't know till I got one. I questioned using the tall frame with a smaller day bag.

I run Kuiu and new to Kifaru, but even a "light" day load with my rifle with a small bag feel lighter and carries easier with my Xtra tall frame.

I don't think you would be disappinted with the tall frame, unless you are walking through and under branches all the time. That's the only time I notice the frame. If that's the case, then you are gonna have to compromise and go without a frame that transfers the load to your hips.

OP
M

MountainZ

FNG
I am 6"2" with a long torso and never had a really comfortable pack until I bought one with an extra tall frame. For years I backpacked with an OK, one, but always just a little too small.

Have you ever run a tall framed pack that fit you? I didn't know what I didn't know till I got one. I questioned using the tall frame with a smaller day bag.

I run Kuiu and new to Kifaru, but even a "light" day load with my rifle with a small bag feel lighter and carries easier with my Xtra tall frame.

I don't think you would be disappinted with the tall frame, unless you are walking through and under branches all the time. That's the only time I notice the frame. If that's the case, then you are gonna have to compromise and go without a frame that transfers the load to your hips.
Thanks for the input. I have run some large packs and frames, and have generally had a similar experience. I got away from that idea for several years now and have run smaller, lighter "day" packs most of the time, but what you say is exactly why I'm going in this direction. With my build, I think I will just be more comfortable with the larger frame. My main concern at this point is just having a large, cumbersome thing sticking up behind me and getting in the way. Do you have a lite or tactical frame? Do you shoot your bow regularly with your pack on?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wear my Kuiu extra tall frame everywhere, just swap bags. Its just too comfortable.

I just started shooting bows, but with a small pack on the frame, nothing sticks out that would interfere that would be different than a small pack. Its only what's above the frame. Seems like guys bow hunt with packs and bino harnesses from my own deep dive.

I don't think there is anything about the Kifaru that would be different, but Kifaru guys would have to tell you. I just picked up a Kifaru frame to test out.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would add that having a tall frame and good harness would free up muscles in the back and shoulder for shooting a bow. Just practicing I can feel the muscles burn, hahahhaa. If I had been carrying a pack and my shoulders were hurting like my old packs, I would be a much worse shot.

OP
M

MountainZ

FNG
I wear my Kuiu extra tall frame everywhere, just swap bags. Its just too comfortable.

I just started shooting bows, but with a small pack on the frame, nothing sticks out that would interfere that would be different than a small pack. Its only what's above the frame. Seems like guys bow hunt with packs and bino harnesses from my own deep dive.

I don't think there is anything about the Kifaru that would be different, but Kifaru guys would have to tell you. I just picked up a Kifaru frame to test out.

I would add that having a tall frame and good harness would free up muscles in the back and shoulder for shooting a bow. Just practicing I can feel the muscles burn, hahahhaa. If I had been carrying a pack and my shoulders were hurting like my old packs, I would be a much worse shot.

Thanks. Archery and bowhunting is my only pursuit here. I shoot hundreds of arrows a week, and spend a significant amount of time hiking/training/shooting with my pack on. I'd love to hear your input on the Kifaru frame when you try it.