Kifaru Frame Weight

Has anyone else noticed their Duplex Lite frames are coming in significantly over spec weight? Their website lists the 26" frame at 3 pounds exactly but mine is 3 pounds 9 ounces - that's nearly 20% over spec. I stripped all the buckles and webbing so my frame matches exactly what the photo on the website shows. My belt is a medium so that might be an ounce or two if they are measuring with a small but what about the other 1/2 pound? I measured with 2 different scales too.

I ordered this frame in 2022 and it hasn't been outside so there isn't any blood/mud/grime either.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
never weighed a pack or frame from any company.... i also don't care about empty pack weight, i care how heavy it feels with over 70# in it, and in that regard, kifaru feels the lightest of them all. to me, there are things that matter and things that don't... empty pack weight is on the "don't" side for me considering what packs are made to do.

the lightest 2 packs i have owned felt the heaviest when loads over 70# are reached..... not going to be the same for everyone, but that's how it worked out with me, so i have never been tempted to weigh a frame or empty pack, because it doesn't equate to real world

Mine is way over spec too. I don’t have the most accurate scale, but mine is 57.6 ounces- and thats with a few mods to lighten it up. Pretty disappointing. Small hip belt, and the regular/short shoulder straps, 24” frame, composite stays.

That’s 3# 9 ounces for a frame that is supposed to be 2# 14. I don’t mind the weight terribly- but the lightweight frame was a big part of why I went with the option I did, I wish they would just post honest weights

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
never weighed a pack or frame from any company.... i also don't care about empty pack weight, i care how heavy it feels with over 70# in it, and in that regard, kifaru feels the lightest of them all. to me, there are things that matter and things that don't... empty pack weight is on the "don't" side for me considering what packs are made to do.

the lightest 2 packs i have owned felt the heaviest when loads over 70# are reached..... not going to be the same for everyone, but that's how it worked out with me, so i have never been tempted to weigh a frame or empty pack, because it doesn't equate to real world
Same...

Worrying about the weight when empty misses the point of what the pack is built for.

However, before this becomes a flame Kifaru thread, someone should actually find out the info on how they come up with their numbers.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
People who do not care about empty pack weight are like black powder hunters commenting on a long range thread. I count grams, there is no difference between grams from bringing a cast iron skillet to cook in and from a pack that is heavier than it needs to be.

Function does trump lightweight (why my hunting pack is over 5 pounds) but weight is not immaterial.

I think my Exo (entire pack) was 2 ounces over spec. My Seek Outside was an ounce or so lighter than expected. There will be some variation. However, I think about 10% is the upper end of acceptable.

It is common for companies to state specs so variance is in their favor. However, if truth is the focus then some people should get products that are lighter than spec, within the accepted variance. Though that would assume spec is based on a sample of more than 1 or 2 items.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Looking at the Kifaru site, the Lite is only offered with composite stays, so stay type cannot acount for the difference (3 lb spec is for composite stays).

You guys are killin me - I just wanted to know if other people had noticed this same thing.

I don't care that you don't care what your pack weighs.
Yes I is widely known that Aron doesn't care much about the weights. He refuses to even spec them in most videos because people always cry if he miss quotes. When the 44 mag came out he was off and he got on here and offered to let anyone send them back for refunds if they were that upset about it.
Litterly any amount of research would have lead you to this.
If it matters so much I hope your still in the return window and can send it back.
If you didn't weigh it soon as it came out the box you don't care as much as you lead on.

OP
veganhunter
Talked to Kifaru, as usual, they were super polite and helpful. Here is (most likely) where the differences are coming from between my frame and the published weights:

Published Weights:
- Short shoulder straps
- Small belt
- K clips for load lifter connection
- Carbon arrow to connect the stays

My Frame:
- Long shoulder straps
- Medium belt
- Buckles for load lifter connection
- HDPE to connect the stays

OP
veganhunter
To the Kifaru Legion that I personally offended by asking a question, please accept my most sincere apologies...

This isn't me crying because somebody misquoted by a couple of ounces the weight in a video. Just a simple inquiry into why my frame is half a pound more than I expected.

This whole thing could have been avoided if they published the configuration of the frame they used to weigh.

On the seek website it seems they list a different spec for the same stuff and different pages.
When I was comparing weights before I ordered id find 2 or 3 different weights for the same thing

OP
veganhunter
I'm sure it's a pain in the ass to keep the published weights current with in-line changes and difficulties with sourcing right now.

I'm still going to use the pack, it's a great update to the old hunter duplex I was using.

bsnedeker

WKR
Thanks for the follow up, good information. You've got me curious what my frame weighs, and I'm one of those guys who doesn't care!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
To the Kifaru Legion that I personally offended by asking a question, please accept my most sincere apologies...
It is not accepted, questions indicate a lack of sufficient reverence.

I was thinking about trying a Kifaru frame, but the responses to this thread have convinced me that like Glocks, Harleys, and Texas the fan boys are reason enough to avoid a good thing.... :cry:

Ok, I'll stop stirring puddles for the moment.

It is not accepted, questions indicate a lack of sufficient reverence.

I was thinking about trying a Kifaru frame, but the responses to this thread have convinced me that like Glocks, Harleys, and Texas the fan boys are reason enough to avoid a good thing.... :cry:

Ok, I'll stop stirring puddles for the moment.
I'm far from a fan boy but you have to use what works best for ya weight aside.
I suffered 2 seasons from a pack that wouldn't stay up at all. After the the weight just us what it is.
And for me kifaru doesn't win the stay up category ether its only mid pack.

They haven't offered arrow stays in years pretty sad they list that.
Molle covering everything is dumb, so is velcro so you can have neat patches for the gram.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm far from a fan boy but you have to use what works best for ya weight aside.
I suffered 2 seasons from a pack that wouldn't stay up at all. After the the weight just us what it is.
And for me kifaru doesn't win the stay up category ether its only mid pack.

They haven't offered arrow stays in years pretty sad they list that.
Molle covering everything is dumb, so is velcro so you can have neat patches for the gram.
I think they are finally starting to see the light on the molle nonsense. They released the dahl and gnargali last year and the new hellbender pack looks awesome.

I don't think they'll ever be the pack of choice for guys chasing grams though, and that's ok!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

This isn't me crying because somebody misquoted by a couple of ounces the weight in a video. Just a simple inquiry into why my frame is half a pound more than I expected.

This whole thing could have been avoided if they published the configuration of the frame they used to weigh.
I don’t think you offended anyone or put anyone on the defense even a little, I was just saying that since it feels lighter with weight in it, the actual measured weight has no bearing to me… I agree, them putting the exact configuration for their advertised weight would be a good idea so people don’t think they are lying…

I would assume even variations of foam batches change the weight a few ounces… back when I made my living under water, I wore 1/2” neoprene wetsuits, same company, same facility, one suit would be half the weight of the prior (or other way around) unless they have their environmental conditions exact, the same foam will have different weight and density for the same exact material… I just never cared considering what the function of a pack is

Kifaru will always be at the heavier end, but for my body and needs, they are worth the weight.

If ounces matter, we have seek outside, stone glacier and EXO that all do an amazing job of riding the line of weight, function and durability.

My mentality comes from one experience going from a kuiu pack (super light, sucked with a heavy load for me) to a horn hunter full curl (clunky as they come, and can double as an anchor in a pinch) but when weight and comfort really mattered, with a heavy load of meat, the horn hunter felt way lighter.

That was several years ago, but it stuck with me and changed my whole mentality about packs. I will always try to convey that to hopefully save someone from wasting money buying a pack based on less practical features like empty pack weight… unless you never kill anything, empty pack weight is low on the list of importance… some get the best of both worlds and one of the very lightweight options also hauls a heavy load better than heavier options.