Kifaru Frame Weight

They haven't offered arrow stays in years pretty sad they list that.
I think what he is talking about is the cross piece at the top of the frame that connects/stabilizes the stays.
When the Lite frames came out- that piece was a carbon arrow.
They switched to using some type of hdpe squarish thingy.

OP
veganhunter
I think what he is talking about is the cross piece at the top of the frame that connects/stabilizes the stays.
yep thats what I was referring to, thanks for making that more clear

I still don't think they have used that for at least 2 years.
That is a pretty out of date website.
Especially when your aware weight discrepancy is a thing you've had problems with before.

I still don't think they have used that for at least 2 years.
That is a pretty out of date website.
Especially when your aware weight discrepancy is a thing you've had problems with before.
They posted the specs when the frame came out. It does not surprise me at all that Kifaru has not changed the specs to match modifications. Just doesn't strike me as something they do.

S.Clancy

WKR
My Kifaru frame is over spec as well. Exo frame is basically dead nuts (+/- an oz). The K frame does fit me a lot better so even out of spec its whatever.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Considering that 3 lb is the spec weight of the Exo and the SG Xcurve, I find it interesting that their error puts them in the same weight class for the Duplex Lite. It is also interesting that the Duplex is the most expensive of the three. The fact that they state different weights (of only 2 ounces) for the frame lengths clearly indicates they think ounces matter. If they stated a general "3 pounds" instead, I would have an easier time buying the "weight does not matter to them" idea. While it is a poor argument, one could also argue the stated weight was only significant to the pound level.

Obviously, if the Duplex Lite works best for ones body, the weight and cost are insignificant. The question is, how many people would try other frames if a more accurate weight was given in the specs?

I'm willing to spend $50 to $100 to save one ounce. So, figure 10% variance allowed (4.8 ounces on 3 pounds) and that makes this a $200 to $400 misstatement (9 ounces with 5 subtracted).

The frame I currently use comes in at 3 ounces under spec (which is stated as 3 pounds for both frame sizes). I have the larger size, with a medium belt.

Anyway, I'll just chalk this up to sloppy practices. Kifaru's reputation makes a charge of intentional deception hard to believe.

Hopefully some people will find they have frames that are significantly under spec weight, then this can be chalked up to material difference, which while still sloppy is much easier for my brain to understand.

Appreciate the response but empty pack weight very much does matter to me.

Especially when the empty weight is way over advertised spec
Send it back But a lighter one from another company. Weigh it too. If it’s not to your liking, keep repeating the process until it does suit you. That’s what I’d do.

Guys, for all of the technical input that goes into manufacturing a backpack frame, it's NOT THAT HARD to take an accurate weight measurement from a few articles, and post them truthfully on the website. To choose to do anything differently is willfully deceitful.

If you paid for a gallon of gas and later found out it was only 0.9 gallons you'd be pissed.

People who do not care about empty pack weight are like black powder hunters commenting on a long range thread.
That’s not a great comparison… if every pack on the market functioned the same, I would agree, but that isn’t the case, or close to it.

It’s not that I don’t care about weight, I do, but in the case of packs, function is the thing that matters… some weight is worth carrying… you could find some binos on Amazon for 50 bucks that are half the weight of my NL pures, so you could save half of the weight and over 3 grand… which are you taking?

My point is you may have a 2.5# frame, super light, but strap 80# to it and it sucks, hurts, doesn’t support the weight…

You have another frame that’s 5#, double the weight, but you strap 80# to it and you could walk it around all day, go to bed, wake up with no bruises, raw spots or pain and do it again the next day… what frame are you taking into the woods?

They are all fine with 30#, but unless that light frame does at least as well as the heavy one, the weight is 100% empty marketing to suck in the people who think empty pack weight is important.

If empty pack weight was the goal, we wouldn’t be buying hunting frames, we would be using the Uber light backpacking packs, but those don’t perform well with 100#

I love my exo, but I tend to leave it home most of the time, even though it’s lighter and a little more comfortable in hunting mode… I am going out every day with a goal of walking out with a miserably heavy pack, that’s why I normally wear the kifaru… it’s my heaviest pack, but I know it’s going to feel like my lightest pack when I have almost my body weight in my pack and I need to get it from here, to 5 miles back to my pickup.

Some weight is 100% worth packing, some places counting ounces is counter intuitive

Funny thread; I remember when the kifaru fanboys on here used to crap all over MR packs for being heavier than the kifarus and kifaru was chasing lighter weight frames and bags. Now suddenly heavier is better…
Function is the priority, nobody said heavier is better or insinuated that, that would be more of a liberal spin

Personally I would first contact a manufacturer asking what options a certain item is for there advertised weight if it was so important to me before buying…. For example when I bought my SG gruman down jacket I new it was heavier than advertised because I wear XXL and when your a bussiness in the ultralight game your always going to advertise the lightest possible weight cause that’s how bussiness works. I use a 9lb Barneys so you can say chasing scale weight for a pack isn’t a huge concern haha.

Ordering long shoulder straps , medium hip belt , HDPE , and buckles for load lifters 9 Oz makes sense to me.

Pack weights are just like IBO bow speeds, way off and unrealistic.

Weight does matter to me. I'm carrying an empty pack around way more than a full one coming out heavy. I hate packs that are heavy with just a couple game bags, daily supplies in them. Packing out quarters is always heavy, and taxing no matter what pack you use. The good thing is that only happens once per tag, not every day like an empty pack.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That’s not a great comparison… if every pack on the market functioned the same, I would agree, but that isn’t the case, or close to it.

It’s not that I don’t care about weight, I do, but in the case of packs, function is the thing that matters… some weight is worth carrying… you could find some binos on Amazon for 50 bucks that are half the weight of my NL pures, so you could save half of the weight and over 3 grand… which are you taking?

My point is you may have a 2.5# frame, super light, but strap 80# to it and it sucks, hurts, doesn’t support the weight…

You have another frame that’s 5#, double the weight, but you strap 80# to it and you could walk it around all day, go to bed, wake up with no bruises, raw spots or pain and do it again the next day… what frame are you taking into the woods?

They are all fine with 30#, but unless that light frame does at least as well as the heavy one, the weight is 100% empty marketing to suck in the people who think empty pack weight is important.

If empty pack weight was the goal, we wouldn’t be buying hunting frames, we would be using the Uber light backpacking packs, but those don’t perform well with 100#

I love my exo, but I tend to leave it home most of the time, even though it’s lighter and a little more comfortable in hunting mode… I am going out every day with a goal of walking out with a miserably heavy pack, that’s why I normally wear the kifaru… it’s my heaviest pack, but I know it’s going to feel like my lightest pack when I have almost my body weight in my pack and I need to get it from here, to 5 miles back to my pickup.

Some weight is 100% worth packing, some places counting ounces is counter intuitive
I would say my posts have acknowledged the same priorities. My statement was intended to get people to clarify if they truly do not care (pack mule/wall tent guys) or if they do care, but place priority on other things (probably everyone on this thread).

Ten Bears

WKR
Total weight weenie.

I went through all of this the past two years. Was salty at Kifaru for being over advertised weight and comparably heavy to other packs empty. Sold my Kifaru frame and Hoodlum on here over it.

Ordered a SO custom DCF pack and frame. Also had my old X Curve and tried the new Krux with a 6900 bag.

I ruck year round alternating weight and measuring with my luggage scale.

Nothing came close to that Kifaru when heavy weight was on my back.

Ended up selling every single bag I bought for a loss and having to repurchase the exact same Kifaru set up at the higher price.

Lesson learned.

If you got something that fits your back and carried weight well don’t mess with it over a few ounces.

That being said Kifaru needs to just publish what the things really weigh.

And to make it up to me for my loss, a DCF Hoodlum please. It will cure those 7oz blues I stupidly chased.

Total weight weenie.

I went through all of this the past two years. Was salty at Kifaru for being over advertised weight and comparably heavy to other packs empty. Sold my Kifaru frame and Hoodlum on here over it.

Ordered a SO custom DCF pack and frame. Also had my old X Curve and tried the new Krux with a 6900 bag.

I ruck year round alternating weight and measuring with my luggage scale.

Nothing came close to that Kifaru when heavy weight was on my back.

Ended up selling every single bag I bought for a loss and having to repurchase the exact same Kifaru set up at the higher price.

Lesson learned.

If you got something that fits your back and carried weight well don’t mess with it over a few ounces.

That being said Kifaru needs to just publish what the things really weigh.

And to make it up to me for my loss, a DCF Hoodlum please. It will cure those 7oz blues I stupidly chased.
That’s a good example, and have personally been through the same exact thing more than once.

Many folks prefer the SO frame over any, I genuinely wish I was one of them… I am going to buy another seek outside, but going to try the integrated system, and plan on bugging the heck out of the good people who run that business if I once again can’t get it comfortable with a heavy load… might fit the description of insanity, but I really like their packs, and enough people prefer them over any other frame that I think at least part of my issue could have been user error… there is a ton of adjustments on their packs, maybe I did not ever get it right for me.

I am all for a lighter option as long as it doesn’t punish me when it really matters

I know if I have to carry a few more ounces, or even pounds to get comfort on really heavy loads, my body will adapt and not know any different with a little time… but I don’t count ounces… last archery season I carried an ammo pouch in my pack with about 25 rounds in it the whole archery season for no reason other than thinking I would lose it if I took it out😂

I’m in my packs pretty much all year, whether scouting, looking for a lion track to call on, deer, elk, turkey, bear, etc hunting… I rarely go 2 weeks ever without putting some miles on my boots with my pack… I am shed hunting today trying to find one particular bull’s sheds, but packed the kitchen sink in case I cut a lion track… our bodies are good at adapting, and that’s easier to me than crunching numbers.

I certainly agree with them posting honest weight figures for everything, doesn’t make any sense for them not too… and post real world numbers, not totally stripped down numbers like bow companies.

I hope kifaru doesn’t get too big for their own good, I’m a little nervous with their current trajectory, but as for right now, they carry weight the best for my body, but EXO isn’t far behind, and I appreciate how they run the company… I will be buying their next generation of pack regardless, they have earned my business over the years and I will continue to buy their stuff as well, and if they build a frame that hauls a heavy load as good as anything else, that will be my go to… my k2 isn’t going anywhere either

I’m far from brand loyal, I just primarily use the best option for me, and one of the heaviest pack systems is the one that works best for me currently.

I will pay a lot more to shave weight where applicable, but not at the cost of performance