Kifaru frames

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
So I will preface this with I own Kifaru and like Kifaru. I have a 2016 hunter frame ( similar to the current tactical)and have heard from multiple people that the new lite frame is not nearly as comfortable with weight nor is it any kind of upgrade. I am always looking to buy new equipment, but I can not talk myself into trying one out. So, did Kifaru miss the mark on this frame or is it better than what I have heard?

Mudd Foot

WKR
I disagree, but am comparing the Duplex Lite to the Bikini. There are several convenience features (IMO just as important to effectively make adjustments in the field) and several comfort features that are a significant upgrade when compared to the Bikini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's better. I use to say the same thing after buying a new Lite frame last year. I think the reason I first thought my hunter was still better was simply due to my familiarity with it. It has aluminum stays. Stays that I tweeked just a hair. So, the frame is extremely comfortable. Probably more comfortable under light loads due to how well it moves with you when twisting and such. However, after hunting both last year through the first of November, I started favoring the lite because it handles weight much better. It might be the composite stays in it being more rigid and, the frame itself being stiffer side to side when twisting and such. I simply can't say for sure. But, that is my guess

Having wore both frames under multiple heavy loads now, the lite simply handles them slightly better. I think it also might have to do with the angle of the shoulder straps off the frame and how they conform to the shape of my shoulders. It might be the shoulder straps themselves as they seem to be firmer while still being soft. Maybe that is just my imagination but, it seems that way to me. I just don't feel them the way I feel the hunter straps when under load. Both packs are adjusted perfectly and, both frames are excellent in every aspect. But, the extra rigidity of the newer frames definitely handles loads better.

Then you get into function upgrades not dependent on rigidity. The side and connector loops are longer. Making changing bags, removing bags to get meat in the shelf, or adding extra compression straps to haul meat or treestands, much quicker and easier. Especially when your hands are cold. Two sets of common loops on the back of the lumbar pad comes in handy if you want to run a bag, sherman pocket, net, or panel combo. Making sure they lock into the frame and not being subject to drooping from the bag or, coming out when you had to double up on the triglides in the one common loop on the older frames.

The shoulder straps seem to fit much better. Meaning I have more adjustment for the chest strap placement,. And, with the added length on the female open ended buckle and male buckle on the load lifter connectors, it makes reaching the tag end of the straps to engage them easier.

The ventilation is far superior. It really cuts down on the sweaty back.

To me the only really big improvements are the shoulder straps, ventilation, and the rigidity. And, the rest are just conveniences of sorts. And, none are huge or enough to make you think the grass is a lot greener. But, they are all noticeable to me. Having decided a year or so ago I was going to buy my brother a Kifaru frame, it made buying the newer version easy. As, I intended and did pass my least favored on to him. So, there was no loose in it for me to try the new ones.

I hope all this helps as it took me about 20 minutes to type. :D

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for your input. I am really just looking for another reason to add to my collection. Less back sweat would be nice!

I would have to say that the grass isn't greener, it's just a different texture. I have a 26" hunter that I used for years and a new 24" light with a Nomad 2. The shoulder strap system really is better with the new design. The ventilation is a bit better but I don't think it's a game changer for me.

Block

WKR
I just bought the hunting frame this past fall.. obviously I made the wrong choice if they scratched it and are just selling the ultralight... haha oh well I love it and have carried a whole mule deer with it on the 22mag no prob. anyone know the weight difference between these 2 frames ?

I just bought the hunting frame this past fall.. obviously I made the wrong choice if they scratched it and are just selling the ultralight... haha oh well I love it and have carried a whole mule deer with it on the 22mag no prob. anyone know the weight difference between these 2 frames ?
I don't think they scrapped it. I think the current Tactical frame is the same as what you have. My old Duplex Hunting frame looks just like the pics for the Tactical.

Block

WKR
I don't think they scrapped it. I think the current Tactical frame is the same as what you have. My old Duplex Hunting frame looks just like the pics for the Tactical.

Hmm yeah I’m not sure. They had 3 options when I bought the hunting frame.

*hunting
*ultralight
*tactical

Now no hunting.

Jbehredt

WKR
I think they figured the ounce counters would skip over the mid weight hunter. With the lighter options. There’s still a niche for the tactical that the lite/ultra lite can’t completely fill.

14 oz according to their website and assuming you bought the composite stays. I wouldn't sweat it. I've dropped more weight taking a hearty dump. I've tried numerous frames to see if I liked them better than the hunter frame and nothing has felt more comfortable to me in the 50-100 lbs range.

Block

WKR
14 oz according to their website and assuming you bought the composite stays. I wouldn't sweat it. I've dropped more weight taking a hearty dump. I've tried numerous frames to see if I liked them better than the hunter frame and nothing has felt more comfortable to me in the 50-100 lbs range.

Cool glad to hear .. like I said I love the hunter frame...

That extra ventilation and -1 pound doesn’t sound too bad tho haha.. we carry the pack ~50x a year... a deer in the pack only a few times a year...so if the hunter actually does carry a heavy load better than the ultralight that still makes it a toss up on which I’d rather have...

Cool glad to hear .. like I said I love the hunter frame...

That extra ventilation and -1 pound doesn’t sound too bad tho haha.. we carry the pack ~50x a year... a deer in the pack only a few times a year...so if the hunter actually does carry a heavy load better than the ultralight that still makes it a toss up on which I’d rather have...
Gee I don't know that it's the frame style as much as the fit. I watched Snyder's video again about the launch of the new frames and it seems they made modifications based on moving the stays further from hot spot potential points. The new frame's definitely improve on the shoulder strap and lumbar design, especially if you're messing with it like I do. I like the lite frame but I'm trying some home fab carbon (arrow mod) stays in my hunter to see how that feels. I'm actually pretty excited about it.

Block

WKR
Gee I don't know that it's the frame style as much as the fit. I watched Snyder's video again about the launch of the new frames and it seems they made modifications based on moving the stays further from hot spot potential points. The new frame's definitely improve on the shoulder strap and lumbar design, especially if you're messing with it like I do. I like the lite frame but I'm trying some home fab carbon (arrow mod) stays in my hunter to see how that feels. I'm actually pretty excited about it.

Gotcha... yeah if I had 1 complaint about the hunter it would be that I can’t seem to get the shoulder straps to fit perfectly,,, Iv adjusted it every way possible and it seems like the strap always has an upward angle to the pack.. makes carrying a gun on ur shoulder aweful...

Revisiting this. I was messing with my Hunter frame and my new Light frame and noticed that there is a lot more compression rigidity on the new style. To try and explain: If I take a tubular sand bag and reef on the compression straps my hunter flexes toward the cylindrical shape of the sand bag. There is more rigidity on the new frame style working against that tendency to conform to the shape of the compressed load.

twall13

WKR
Revisiting this. I was messing with my Hunter frame and my new Light frame and noticed that there is a lot more compression rigidity on the new style. To try and explain: If I take a tubular sand bag and reef on the compression straps my hunter flexes toward the cylindrical shape of the sand bag. There is more rigidity on the new frame style working against that tendency to conform to the shape of the compressed load.
That's the "barreling" you sometimes hear people talk about and Kifaru admits the new frames have more rigidity to resist that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR

Your hunter frame has a thinner frame sheet than your lite frame. Hunter matches the ultra lite. Lite matches the tactical.

I'll be trying the lite frame in a couple weeks.
You'll love it. I was in there Monday and walked out without dropping any money, almost unbelievable. I took my frame and Nomad2 in to do some comparison and get some accessory ideas. Their customer service is top notch. Dayna replaced a bent K-clip for me with a set of new ones.

hwy5076

FNG
I have both a hunter and tactical frame. The tactical for sure has a thicker frame sheet and is my preference. Can't justify a new one as these are still going strong.