Kifaru Fulcrum Backpack Review ***Updated 12/14/20***

Rstien321

Lil-Rokslider
I am leaning on getting either a small Muskeg or a 22Mag for a second lighter bag. Still love my Fulcrum as a do all bag though.
I have been having the exact same thought.

I am running the same setup as the author (Fulcrum, guide kid, water bottle holder, and gun bearer).

While the pack does well as a “do-all” pack, when I go on hunt that’s more a dedicated day pack style hunt, the complexity of buckles, straps, etc get to be overkill. The 22 mag and a fulcrum would seem to be a perfect combo for any hunts that would come up.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member

I am running the same setup as the author (Fulcrum, guide kid, water bottle holder, and gun bearer).

While the pack does well as a “do-all” pack, when I go on hunt that’s more a dedicated day pack style hunt, the complexity of buckles, straps, etc get to be overkill. The 22 mag and a fulcrum would seem to be a perfect combo for any hunts that would come up.

Your right. Our set up isn’t a very “fast”. Let me know what you think of the 22 mag if you decide to go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider

I ended up getting a woodsman as my smaller pack with an OGL when the fulcum is too much.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Great write up Howard. That wolf is sweet looking.

The Fulcrum still just wants to be an EMR2 when it grows up. HAHA

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great write up Howard. That wolf is sweet looking.

The Fulcrum still just wants to be an EMR2 when it grows up. HAHA

You’re not wrong. I don’t know the cu/in of the EMR II but they look nearly identical.

Did you see my wolf had a broken face?!?

543a7ca284fd23cd3614622ba037d50b.jpg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The Gun Bearer is a funny system. The more you use it the more you like it. But you have to get past the initial hatred for it and find the best configuration for your rifle.

Here is my SnipeTac with a 32” barrel and just under 16#s. This setup is very comfortable to walk in.

f18aa3a9e3cd1e9baa86483963a3178f.jpg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
You’re not wrong. I don’t know the cu/in of the EMR II but they look nearly identical.

Did you see my wolf had a broken face?!?

543a7ca284fd23cd3614622ba037d50b.jpg

Did it have any marks on the hide?

Thanks for the excellent write up. This is a pack I've been considering as well. I like the idea of having the wing pockets, and with how well it seems to compress down, there doesn't seem to be a downside to having more space than say the Reckoning or Hoodlum.

One question you might be able to help with. Would you be able to strap something on the outside of the bag between the wings, with the bag empty? One thought that I've had is to strap a child carrier to the frame and have the wings wrap around either side to hold gear. But I've wondered if the main bag would get in the way. What are your thoughts/experience? Thanks in advance!

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the excellent write up. This is a pack I've been considering as well. I like the idea of having the wing pockets, and with how well it seems to compress down, there doesn't seem to be a downside to having more space than say the Reckoning or Hoodlum.

One question you might be able to help with. Would you be able to strap something on the outside of the bag between the wings, with the bag empty? One thought that I've had is to strap a child carrier to the frame and have the wings wrap around either side to hold gear. But I've wondered if the main bag would get in the way. What are your thoughts/experience? Thanks in advance!

I don’t know about a baby carrier, but yes. There are compression straps and room aplenty to lash to the main frame, over top the main bag.
So if you were so inclined, you could strap an entire normal sized day pack, an animal 1/4 (or whatever) over the main bag and wrap it up with the wing pockets.
I can send a picture tomorrow to help illustrate.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider

I don't see why it wouldn't work, you have access to the frame between the wings and the main bag. When I've packed my animals out it's been in daypack mode with nothing or very little in the main bag.

I actually used the extra material of the bottom of the main bag to form a load shelf, and then run one of the horizontal straps through the carry handle on the bottom of the pack.

Attachments

• 20191124_150025.jpg
    20191124_150025.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 51
OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see why it wouldn't work, you have access to the frame between the wings and the main bag. When I've packed my animals out it's been in daypack mode with nothing or very little in the main bag.

I actually used the extra material of the bottom of the main bag to form a load shelf, and then run one of the horizontal straps through the carry handle on the bottom of the pack.

There you go!! I’m off the hook. Great photo.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
[mention]pyrotechnic [/mention] nice buck

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly don’t remember which straps came with the pack “factory mode” and which straps I added.
Does your pack have these same compression straps?

2eb3405941f7741e187c9ac468226785.jpg

If you’re going to run cargo on top of the main bag, I’d lock it down with these compression straps first if possible. Then wrap the wing pockets. Just a thought.