Kifaru Guide Lid Attachment

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
My guide lid has female side release buckles for the upper attachment. Has anyone cut these buckles off and attached the lid with K clips instead? Seems like a cheaper alternative than buying a guide lid kit or the the K-connector conversion kit.
TIA

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
Are they open ended female buckles that can be removed? I'm pretty sure that's how mine is. I'm not sure how old your lid is, but the new ones should come with both the k-clip and female buckle attachment options if I'm remembering correctly.

OP
Steepandeep1

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
Are they open ended female buckles that can be removed? I'm pretty sure that's how mine is. I'm not sure how old your lid is, but the new ones should come with both the k-clip and female buckle attachment options if I'm remembering correctly.

I hadn't even thought to look but now that you say that after checking they are the buckles you can remove. I bought my guide lid second hand so is very possible something wasn't included.

OP
Steepandeep1

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
And after looking more my extra webbing has removable k clips so I can just use those to attach my guide lid. Thanks for the post, it got me looking and helped a bunch. 👍🏼

Davebuech

WKR
I don't have my pack with me or I would check, but seems to me that the top buckles are ladder locks for attachment to the pack frame. The bottom buckles are female side release so you can use the guide lid with the included pack straps (male side release buckles) as a separate "day" pack.

OP
Steepandeep1

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have my pack with me or I would check, but seems to me that the top buckles are ladder locks for attachment to the pack frame. The bottom buckles are female side release so you can use the guide lid with the included pack straps (male side release buckles) as a separate "day" pack.

Thank you for the info. It's very possible that my lid is an older style as I bought it used, and it does have removable female side release buckles on the upper attachment. From looking at Kifaru's page I believe the new style has the ladder locks for the upper attachment.

SneekyPee

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my guidelid last year and it came female buckles on the top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info. It's very possible that my lid is an older style as I bought it used, and it does have removable female side release buckles on the upper attachment. From looking at Kifaru's page I believe the new style has the ladder locks for the upper attachment.

The ladder locks are the old style. below is how they look now, watch the reckoning video and aron walks you through it at about :40 in

Guide Lid and Compression Kits – Kifaru Intl. Online Store
Guidelidkit350.jpg

Reckoning part2 - YouTube

Last edited:

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
New style.

File%20Feb%2020%209%2008%2027%20PM_zpso4xh3wlj.jpeg

File%20Feb%2020%209%2009%2011%20PM_zpsx6wyk9gc.jpeg

File%20Feb%2020%209%2007%2027%20PM_zps67h39hzk.jpeg

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
The above is not as designed but I like it better without a tall load. As designed, a female buckle is attached to the guide lid and the male buckle to the strap that is hanging loose (in front of the shoulder strap).

My older style guide lid has the ladder locks. I threw a pair of K-clips on the same tab loop and now I can run it either way. Use the straps on the bag and ladder locks for tall loads or just the K-clips for a snug and tight fit.