Kifaru Gun Bearer Question

joelbiltz

WKR
Ok i have a SE Alaska MT Goat hunt booked for next Sept. I will be packing my KU 5200. I have never personally used the gun bearer. Question is how well dose it do while climbing. It seems like the gun would always be in the way. Would I be better off just strapping it to the pack. Any input is welcome. Thanks

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I just lashing the gun to the like pack. I use the universal gun bearer for this particular reason on long climbs.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
I can not imagine using this system. How annoying would it be to have the barrel of your rifle sticking out in front of your face all day long?
I just strap the rifle to the side of my Timberline.

Frans

I used one this year elk hunting and loved it. I never felt that it was in my way when climbing. The one thing I did notice after using it all day was that I could feel it on my hip since it attaches to your waist belt. But it was better than using a sling.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't personally used the Kifaru gunbearer, so I can't say how it would work in a steep climb. But I would encourage you to find a way to strap that gun in tight if you will be doing a steep climb. We found ourselves doing some hand over hand climbing in near vertical terrain on our Kodiak goat hunt this year, and I was grateful to have my rifle strapped well out of the way. Sure it would take a little longer to get it undone, but in that type of climbing situation I don't typically plan to have to take a shot on the fly....it's more of a sneak to good vantage point and then get the rifle out situation. Luke and I have had good success with the corral gunslinger posted in the link above.

I used mine for the first time on a Kodiak goat hunt this last fall and it worked great, in most all situations. The only time it presented a problem was when I was climbing really steep stuff and the end of the rifle barrel would want to stick/stab into the dirt/rocks. This only happened in very steep terrain though. I was a little skeptical prior to buying it, but a buddy that has been using one for awhile now talked me into it, and I'm glad he did.

Gunbearer in every kind of terrain but straight up for me. I would never go back.

I did add a strap from the gun bearer, just behind the velcro for the cartridge holder, to the strap on the bottom of my Late Season. I put just enough tension on it to keep the barrel from swingin in front of my face. I used a strap and a buckle from an old junk pack.