Kifaru Gun bearer - Universal vs Molle cradle mount

shaun1826

FNG
Has anyone used both for the Cradle mount? I understand I need the universal upper. I ordered a Mystery Ranch Pintler which has molle on the waist belt so I could use either version for the cradle mount. If anyone has used both, is the molle version an improvement over the universal?

I used the universal on my mystery ranch and got the molle when I got the new kifaru pack. Both worked fine. An advantage to the universal would be the ability to swap it to any other pack you might use. I kept the universal strap around just in case I want to use a lighter day pack sometime. I’ve gotten so used to the system I’d have a hard time using a sling very far anymore.

OP
S

shaun1826

FNG
I used the universal on my mystery ranch and got the molle when I got the new kifaru pack. Both worked fine. An advantage to the universal would be the ability to swap it to any other pack you might use. I kept the universal strap around just in case I want to use a lighter day pack sometime. I’ve gotten so used to the system I’d have a hard time using a sling very far anymore.
Do you like the molle one better since you are using it as opposed to the universal? It seems the molle with wider foot print would spread the load out on the belt a little better.

I have a 20 lb rifle so the velcro on the univeral makes me a little nervous.

The Velcro is pretty heavy stuff, I don’t think you’d have a problem with that, even with that kind of artillery. I probably would’ve just used it on the kifaru pack too but I didn’t care for the where it wrapped around the belt. On the mystery ranch pack I was able to position it further back on the belt between the pad and the belt which was also a plus so that the Velcro doesn’t end up snagging on my shirts etc. I found that the best position for the cradle to hang was as far back as possible so that the rifle scope was tucked in under my armpit, otherwise it kind of swung around in front of me too much. If your Molle loops on your pack are far enough back that might be the way to go, otherwise you might be better of with the universal to get it back far enough. I am pretty tall, so that might make a difference in how it fits too…

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I have the MOLLE model for my SO pack. I like that you can adjust the position on the MOLLE grid and it stays put. Also, it's one les strap loop and tail to catch on things.

I have the universal upper. The loop around the shoulder strap doesn't stay put as well as I'd like. Also, it's easy to mix up the Gun Bearer strap with my sternum strap. I wish one was a different color.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Universal gunbearer on my Mystery Ranch and carried around my 15lb tikka tactical without issue. I believe I went with the Long waist belt wrap length and it's wrapped around my belt a few times, nothing is going to slip off.

The only problem I had was carrying around the 15lb rifle. After filling the pack with an antelope, I would have been happier with a lighter rifle!