Kifaru Hoodlum Question - Pouches & A Bow

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
With my luck I probably missed this somewhere but after scouring through photos I can't seem to find a photo of a Kifaru Hoodlum that had pouches running down the back of the pack and also had a bow strapped on. I imagine that is because it would be a royal pain to try to hook up the bow to cinch it down. Anyone have any experience running one like this or any photos of it?

I'm considering dropping the money on Kifaru this year and really like the Hoodlum but would probably also like to add some pouches down the back if I could do that and still reasonably strap my bow on.

Much obliged for the help.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t have pictures, and don’t even own a Hoodlum, but I do have several Kifaru packs and use the Grab It to mount my bow on each. Just a few ounces, and a ton of utility that stays rolled and tucked on the bottom of the bag when not in use.

I don’t have a hoodlum but routinely use an AMR and DT1 for my backpack hunting. Both have fixed large belt sized pockets attached on the back (similarly if you were to add belt pouches to the Hoodlum) and haven’t found a problem at all strapping my bow to the bags. Initially I used a grab it for the lower cam and a single horizontal strap for the upper part of the bow. Now I mostly use two horizontal straps to hold my bow and haven’t felt I’ve given anything up by leaving the grab it at home. Sometimes I tuck the top of my bow under my guide lid when I know I’ll be ducking under low hanging brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
TAK, the new version of the Hoodlum has bow straps sewn into the front and the bottom handle is large enough to take a bottom cam securely. It does leave your cam a little exposed however. If you add pouches it will give something for the bow to rest on / compress against and will keep it in place.

marktole

WKR
I have a hoodlum, which I guess is the older style because I don’t know anything about these bow straps that have been mentioned. I run pockets down the back in mine, and I use a grab it to strap my bow in. Works pretty well. Not as well as when I used my reckoning though, felt like the bow mounted easier to that with the strap system.

Pic of bow straps sewn in on newer hoodlum. They are essentially the same width webbing and buckle as the sternum strap on the frame. Definitely long enough to strap a bow down over pouches.

Attachments

• C77D2C23-0074-4D3E-9802-C1CCFD1B22D2.jpeg
    C77D2C23-0074-4D3E-9802-C1CCFD1B22D2.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 183

Anozira

WKR
I used my hoodlum to pack out a coues last weekend. I am using a gun bearer on the back to hold the bottom cam but In an effor to run ultralight I am no running any rear pouches. I have one of the original hoodlums without the extra straps.

IMG_3636.jpg

Last edited:
OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Pic of bow straps sewn in on newer hoodlum. They are essentially the same width webbing and buckle as the sternum strap on the frame. Definitely long enough to strap a bow down over pouches.
Boot, is that a large pouch down low and a medium pouch above it?

Boot, is that a large pouch down low and a medium pouch above it?

Yes, its a large at the bottom, medium in the middle, and another medium on the 'lid'. A claymore also works well on top. Depending on type of hunt, and bane would work up there too. What Ive learned the most with Kifaru, the limiting factor on what you can do with pouches and pockets is your own creativity.

Nwmod39

FNG
Just received my hoodlum 2 days ago and it came with a large pound with medium pouch just above it.

I was looking at the grab it thinking it would work over the pouches to hold the bow.

Has anyome done that?

Attachments

• received_683219519019176.jpeg
    received_683219519019176.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 92
No need for a grab it or gun bearer to carry the bow. Fully loaded for 7-10 days, I reverse the top and bottom horizontal straps across the riser. The only time I carry my bow on the pack is packing camp in or out and even then I carry the bow in hand if I think elk are in the area.

what a great pack! I can’t find anything not to like.......no......not to love about my Hoodlum.

Last edited:

Nwmod39

FNG
No need for a grab it or gun bearer to carry the bow. Fully loaded for 7-10 days, I reverse the top and bottom horizontal straps across the riser. The only time I carry my bow on the pack is packing camp in or out and even then I carry the bow in hand if I think elk are in the area.

what a great pack! I can’t find anything not to like.......no......not to love about my Hoodlum.
Just learning here....

I have a Sherman pocket and just watched a video on YouTube utilizing the Sherman and straps to hold the bow.

Just learning here....

I have a Sherman pocket and just watched a video on YouTube utilizing the Sherman and straps to hold the bow.
Cool! I opted for the belt pouches for my needs and am able to attach my bow no problem. But I don’t have a pic with the bow mounted. But this is how I carry my spotter for hunting deer. I can get to it rather quickly when needed7E0230B4-A1E2-41D9-BC4B-C948906BCF1C.jpeg

Nwmod39

FNG
Cool! I opted for the belt pouches for my needs and am able to attach my bow no problem. But I don’t have a pic with the bow mounted. But this is how I carry my spotter for hunting deer. I can get to it rather quickly when neededView attachment 256460
Do you keep the spotter ready to go so all you do is pop it off and start spotting?

Do you keep the spotter ready to go so all you do is pop it off and start spotting?
Yes but only for my deer hunts. The country I hunt for elk is too thick to even think about carrying a spotter. And the scope is swiveled pointing downwards when walking for a lower profile.

Last edited:
Yeah packing in or out is the only time I ever have it strapped down.
Well this weekend is the first time I strapped my bow to the pack and traded for my trekking poles while in dayhunt mode. The mountain in AZ was straight up and down. I carried my bow on the way up, but strapped it and grabbed my poles on the way down just before dark.

Snyder? Frank? Y’all ain’t got shit on me. Accept maybe a free pack. Even you would have had fun on that rock climbing cliff ;)

Attachments

• B8C6968A-496B-4B7C-B6D2-AC7B47CB6D02.jpeg
    B8C6968A-496B-4B7C-B6D2-AC7B47CB6D02.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 0F536E7A-66E6-4E5D-AA2E-750ABEC32AF0.jpeg
    0F536E7A-66E6-4E5D-AA2E-750ABEC32AF0.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 56