Kifaru Hoodlum vs SG Sky5900 for tall guys

Hey guy, I've been doing tons of research on these two set ups and I was wondering if any tall guys have experience with either pack? I'm 6'7 and 240lbs. Looks like the sky5900 has only one frame size and the kifaru come in multiple sizes. Thanks for any info

madcalfe

WKR
well I have both. kifaru hoodlum and a SG talus 6900.
i have a kifaru tactical and the duplex frame
I'm only 6ft but the kifaru 26" frame is a bit taller than the SG 26" xcurve by about 1.5" if i had to guess.

madcalfe

WKR
this is only my personal opinion so take it for what its worth
i used the SG for 3 years, multiple sheep/goat hunts and packing out elk, im on the slimmer side (150) and the hip belt would dig in from time to time and my spine would occasionally hit the X section on the frame when loaded super heavy. i replaced all the foam padding with thicker stuff and its 100% better, like love it now.

the kifaru is extremely well built (so is the SG) but right outta the box i felt the kifaru is a little more comfier for myself. The kifaru is definitely more heavier like quite a bit more noticeable when the bags are side by side.
id say if i was only planning on doing 7 day and less hunts the SG anything longer than 10 days id probably go with the kifaru.

If looking at Kifaru what frame would I try for hunting? I was going to try the Xcurve from SG

madcalfe

WKR
uhh im not to sure. i personally just use the tactical for everything cause i like the full frame sheet and its a little stiffer. but its all personal preference. lots of guys use both.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Do most run the Duplex lite for hunting?

Call Kifaru and they will point you in the right direction based on what you plan to use the frame for. They typically recommend the tactical if you are going to be hauling awkward shaped loads. Both frames are great. I personally have the tactical.
kifaru only makes 26" now as well. and yes the SG is 26". I'm sure you'd be fine with either.
Is am seeing options for 24" frames on their website. Have they said they won't be making these anymore?

madcalfe

WKR
Call Kifaru and they will point you in the right direction based on what you plan to use the frame for. They typically recommend the tactical if you are going to be hauling awkward shaped loads. Both frames are great. I personally have the tactical.

Is am seeing options for 24" frames on their website. Have they said they won't be making these anymore?
sorry i meant the largest they make now is 26" they have 24" and 26"
i believe they use to make a 28" frame

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
sorry i meant the largest they make now is 26" they have 24" and 26"
i believe they use to make a 28" frame
Oh okay, I am with you now. I have heard that if you call them and need a larger than 26" frame they will make one for you, but I'm not tall enough to need one of those so I have never had to ask for that.

R_burg

WKR
6'3, but only 200ish. Tried both bags, personally preferred the SG - but I dont think that means you will.

Curvature of your particular back and your hips/butt in relation to the hip belt and frame design probably matter the most - everyone is built different. I am sure I could use a Kifaru, I just prefer the SG. Can't go wrong either way.