Kifaru hunter vs duplex lite

KevinMartinez1

Lil-Rokslider
So this may be a dumb question but what’s the difference between a Kifaru hunter frame versus the duplex lite? Is the hunter just a older model ? Which do you prefer? I know everyone fits different but just looking for info and opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Not a dumb question at all! They don't make the hunter anymore so you have to do some digging to figure out the differences.

Basically the Hunter frame is a lighter version of the current Tactical frame with some minor differences in how the load lifters work.

Here are some of the key differences:
-Hunter Frame is heavier than the duplex light. The difference varies depending on the size of the frame and the type of stays. When I switched from the hunter to the duplex light I think I lost about 6 oz in the my setup overall
-The duplex light is basically completely open between the shoulders, whereas the hunter frame is more "enclosed". Theoretically the duplex light breathes better due to this but honestly I haven't noticed it personally.
-The hunter frame has load lifter loops built into the frame, the duplex light does not. This means that the Hunter frame is 100% compatible with every bag Kifaru has ever made, old and new style. The duplex light only has one load lifter loop right at the top of the frame, so if you have one of the older-style of Kifaru's bags you only get load lifting capability at the top of the frame, you can't lower them. This is not a big deal at all in my opinion (I've used an old Argali for the last 2 years with the new frame), but if you have an older bag it's something to be aware of.
-Kifaru says the Duplex light is stiffer from side-to-side than the hunter frame. This means the hunter frame can "barrel" under heavy loads more than the duplex light. I never ran into this problem personally, but again, a data point.

fatlander

WKR
-Kifaru says the Duplex light is stiffer from side-to-side than the hunter frame. This means the hunter frame can "barrel" under heavy loads more than the duplex light. I never ran into this problem personally, but again, a data point.

I had a 2018 tactical frame for a little over a year, and then I got a 2020 duplex light last March. In my opinion, the duplex light seems to be stiffer side to side than the tactical frame I had. I could feel the tactical frame slightly barrel under heavy and awkward loads, yet I haven’t felt that at all with the duplex light.

OP
KevinMartinez1

KevinMartinez1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys much appreciated!

AKaDougie

FNG
My personnel opinion when I had the hunter frame I could not get it to be very comfortable. I got the duplex lite frame last year and it is the most comfortable frame I have run. I have used and sold Stone glacier and EXO K3 also.

Decker9

WKR
I’m on the opposite end, I find my lady’s hunter frame nicer then my duplex lite, though I haven’t had them under real heavy loads yet. My duplex lite arrived with a broken top cross brace, I have a hard time putting trust in it for extended trips.

Decker9

WKR
The one that broke was a carbon arrow shaft, I replaced it with another arrow shaft with an aluminum tube inside of it. Iv read of a few of the arrow shafts breaking, but wonder how many tried using the cross brace as a handle with a loaded pack

sr80

WKR
I no word of a lie can grab that with my 75lbs of sand bags Strapped to the load hauler and the thing doesn’t budge. It’s not even a point of my concern on the kifaru.
ive got that beefier cross brace in mine too, i think i heard them say it was some sort of unbreakable polymer material used in gun manufacturing or something.

bsnedeker

WKR
The one that broke was a carbon arrow shaft, I replaced it with another arrow shaft with an aluminum tube inside of it. Iv read of a few of the arrow shafts breaking, but wonder how many tried using the cross brace as a handle with a loaded pack
Did you talk to kifaru about it? I use that cross brace as a handle all the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Decker9

WKR
Did you talk to kifaru about it? I use that cross brace as a handle all the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I did email them with some questions, they were happy to fix it if I was to send it to them, but being in Canada, the shipping back and forth would be half the price of the frame, so I just replaced it myself.