Kifaru Hunter vs UltraLite Convince Me

Decker9

WKR
Does anyone know, if it could be the difference between the lite frame and the ultralight maybe? From what I understand, I have the lite frame, but I can see how a guy could get them mixed up maybe.
I found it strange that they’d use an arrow shaft as well. When I emailed Kifaru, they didn’t seem alarmed and offered to send me the part, but the dimensions of the broken shaft (ID and OD) were exact same as old carbon arrow shaft I had sitting here, so I just fixed it myself.

I would have automaticity used that cross bar as a handle as well, if I didn’t know what I know. I do know of one other person who broke the cross brace by weighing his full pack by the brace as well. Something to keep in mind I suppose.

Does anyone know, if it could be the difference between the lite frame and the ultralight maybe? From what I understand, I have the lite frame, but I can see how a guy could get them mixed up maybe.
I found it strange that they’d use an arrow shaft as well. When I emailed Kifaru, they didn’t seem alarmed and offered to send me the part, but the dimensions of the broken shaft (ID and OD) were exact same as old carbon arrow shaft I had sitting here, so I just fixed it myself.

I would have automaticity used that cross bar as a handle as well, if I didn’t know what I know. I do know of one other person who broke the cross brace by weighing his full pack by the brace as well. Something to keep in mind I suppose.
I recently acquired a used Duplex Lite frame. I would guess this frame to be a year old, two years max.
The cross bar support seems to made of the composite stay material. At least, it is maybe 3/4" wide square material.
I have no idea is the ultra lite version uses an arrow stay instead.

The real issue with these newer lite/ultra lite frames is why the **** did they get rid of the mid level attachment points!!!!! Makes zero sense...

Man I use that “handle” all the time and have never had any problems. Maybe they changed what it’s made of?
After the first run of frames with carbon arrow shafts for cross members they quickly switched to the composite stay material instead of arrows. Only early run frames will have the arrow cross members. Totally agree, I can’t see why they dropped the upper attachment point but I’ve also never asked anybody at Kifaru about it. They might have a good reason for it.

I bought a Tactical and Duplex Light frame, and a Hoodlum pack. And tried both frames with the Hoodlum and my DT1 bags to see which frame I’d like best with each bag.

I packed camp in and out of several areas in the month of September using both frames/bags. The difference in weight was negligible between the 2 and I seriously doubt one would notice a difference when fully loaded. I choose the Tactical Frame w/Hoodlum for all future hunts with the Duplex Light w/DT1 as a worthy backup.

I choose the Hoodlum and Tactical over the Light and DT1 as personal preference only. I like the slightly more rigid frame when packing weight. Especially for any amount of distance. I love the zippers for accessibility to the main bag and still having the ability to use the bag as a top loader.

I helped pack my buddies elk out in October . I used the DT1 mounted on the Tactical frame, and my buddy used my Hoodlum mounted on the Duplex Light frame.

Both packs/frames performed without flaw for packing 80 to 100 pounds, while the other 2 guys struggled mightily with the remaining meat and head in their Chinese packs. It was actually quite comical seeing them struggle. It reminded me of anything you’ve ever bought from Walmart and had it break during the very first use. But that’s another thread for another time.

So the decision for me boils down to a rigid or flexible frame. Because I have 2 herniated discs, L4&5, it’s simply a safer bet to protect my lower back, while doing what I love to do. And that is to continue to camp, hunt, kill, and pack in and out of the backcountry every chance I get.

Either frame works just fine and the average uninjured person will do fine with either frame.

bsnedeker

WKR
I recently acquired a used Duplex Lite frame. I would guess this frame to be a year old, two years max.
The cross bar support seems to made of the composite stay material. At least, it is maybe 3/4" wide square material.
I have no idea is the ultra lite version uses an arrow stay instead.

The real issue with these newer lite/ultra lite frames is why the **** did they get rid of the mid level attachment points!!!!! Makes zero sense...
Are you sure you have the light frame and not the ultralight? The light frame should have all of the attachment points the duplex hunter had...mine does anyway. The ultralight does have fewer attachment points so I wonder if whoever sold you that frame miscommunicated what you were buying?

Are you sure you have the light frame and not the ultralight? The light frame should have all of the attachment points the duplex hunter had...mine does anyway. The ultralight does have fewer attachment points so I wonder if whoever sold you that frame miscommunicated what you were buying?
100% sure. I have owned numerous kifaru frames over the years, including the original duplex, the hunter, tactical, and this new lite. The attachments I am talking about are on the back of the frame. One of the packs I use is a cargo panel. The upper attachment points on the tactical/hunter/original allow for attaching the panel higher up the back than what the lite allows. I also use those points to attach a grab it I use as a meat shelf sometimes as well. I like the option of being able to attach weight higher up on the frame. It is also where I prefer to hook the meat shelf on the reckoning as well. The lite and ultra lite do not have those upper attachments on the back. They only have the attachments on the bottom of the frame. I was not referring to the tab loops on the side of the frame.