Kifaru Hunter vs UltraLite Convince Me

So, with this fancy sale going on at Kifaru, I got to thinking about upgrading my frame. But I haven't had a single problem with my existing setup. Someone convince me it's worth buying the new one! Anyone know the weight difference? Have opinions?

bsnedeker

WKR
I upgraded last year from the duplex hunter to the lite frame. As I recall I lost about 6 oz.

The new bags are designed for the new frame (load lifter attachment points are on the bag, not the frame), but the old bags are compatible with the new frames, you just don't have as many options for where to connect your load lifters. For example, I have an old Argali and on my new frame the only load lifter option I have is the one that is at the very top of the frame, as opposed to having options to lower my load lifters that I would have had on my old duplex.

The new frame theoretically has better "ventilation" but my back still sweats like a bastard when I'm hiking around so I don't notice that difference.

The new frame has a Rhino logo sewed into the lumbar pad. This is badass.

Honestly not a huge difference. If you're looking for reasons to get the new frame you should get the new frame.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
The new frame theoretically has better "ventilation" but my back still sweats like a bastard when I'm hiking around so I don't notice that difference.
Well that's disappointing to hear! That's one of the things I was most interested in with the new frame. The load lifter thing isn't a problem. I'm 6'5" and always use the top setting anyways. I don't know what the weight savings would be going to the ultra lite frame, but 6oz isn't exactly overwhelming.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yes, but I don't know what my original frame weighs, and don't have the right scale to weigh it. Looks like 6-8 oz is all I'm going to squeeze out of a frame swap.
Yup, its not much. If you want a new frame, go for it but I doubt you'll notice much if any difference. I know the Kifaru guys here have the ultimate pack....until the next one is released, I just don't think its that much of an upgrade. I briefly wanted a new frame because they were on sale but I figured the $$$ was best spent elsewhere.

prm

WKR
I was having the same debate. I have a Hunter that’s been great, but always open to newer models, especially when they are lighter. I too could not find the published weight of the Hunter, to make an apples to apples comparison. Can weigh my Hunter and get an idea at least.

I’m just wondering if both are 1/8” sheets are they equally as stiff?

question is what is the real benefit if suspension is the same?

JD619er

WKR
I’m just wondering if both are 1/8” sheets are they equally as stiff?

question is what is the real benefit if suspension is the same?
No they ultralight frame felt stiffer to me due to the carbon rod cross stay

Here are the frame weights with a medium belt on my scale.

8ef03fcb0fe7a7daacf843646049ee04.jpg

I believe the newer Lite and Ultra Lite frames feel “cooler” on my back because of the open frame sheet /stay design. I can tell a difference when I use the bikini or Lite frame compared to the tactical or hunter frame. Having the open space doesn’t feel as hot against my back. Can’t say there’s a huge airflow but the open frames are less hot to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the crossbar on the new Duplex Lite - get less barreling of the frame with a heavy load - not sure its worth upgrading unless you just want something new

Decker9

WKR
I have all 3 generations of frames, the later 2 are certainly nicer then the original gen 1 frame. I haven’t packed any 60+lb loads with gen 2 or 3, but 2 does seem to hug my back nicer.

One huge fail on duplex light imo, is that carbon shaft cross brace. When mine arrived in the mail, that arrow shaft was broke in half. Honestly, if ida done my homework and knew it was braced by a arrow shaft, I probably wouldn't have bought it, could you imagine having that break, 50km from the truck with a ram on the back?

Needless to say, I put 2 arrows back in, and won’t depend on that frame for any extended backpack hunts.

If I had to keep one frame, it would be the 2nd gen Hunter frame.

zacattack

WKR
I have all 3 generations of frames, the later 2 are certainly nicer then the original gen 1 frame. I haven’t packed any 60+lb loads with gen 2 or 3, but 2 does seem to hug my back nicer.

One huge fail on duplex light imo, is that carbon shaft cross brace. When mine arrived in the mail, that arrow shaft was broke in half. Honestly, if ida done my homework and knew it was braced by a arrow shaft, I probably wouldn't have bought it, could you imagine having that break, 50km from the truck with a ram on the back?

Needless to say, I put 2 arrows back in, and won’t depend on that frame for any extended backpack hunts.

If I had to keep one frame, it would be the 2nd gen Hunter frame.
Man I use that “handle” all the time and have never had any problems. Maybe they changed what it’s made of?

Decker9

WKR
Man I use that “handle” all the time and have never had any problems. Maybe they changed what it’s made of?
I’m not sure if they all use arrow shafts, or if they’v changed anything, but certainly does seem light duty.

Attachments

• AAF5AEDC-227F-4F73-B1DF-F2161B7314AC.jpeg
    AAF5AEDC-227F-4F73-B1DF-F2161B7314AC.jpeg
    565.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 66455813-8766-4C20-B654-0954D9B26BB1.jpeg
    66455813-8766-4C20-B654-0954D9B26BB1.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 33
I use that cross bar all the time as well - lift the frame with it most of the time - seems incredibly strong and secure on mine - not arrow like at all....