Kifaru Kutthroat vs a frame bag... backpacking only

huntem

FNG
Just looking for opinions on a pack (internal kutthroat vs bag for my frame) that would be used for hiking/backpacking with no need for heavy meat hauling. The wife is more interested in backpacking but I, like many of you, am part pack mule for the "extras".

I really like the kutthroat and the features it offers. However, I already have a duplex frame with a 22mag. I offered up my 44mag to a member here and now have the itch to replace it. I do wish the back panel on the 44 mag had less pals webbing and was more like the hoodlum belt loop matrix but I'm cutting hairs there.

This coming from a kifaru newbie but no stranger to backpacking.

Thank you

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I absolutely love the Kutthroat. Hands down my favorite straight backpacking pack ever, bar none. Only minor gripe is i wish they added a tab loop or two on the sides to run a optional compression strap across the bag for holding snow shoes more securely. I have several videos up on youtube of both the Kutthroat and the Minikeg if you want to check them out.

OP
huntem

huntem

FNG
I absolutely love the Kutthroat. Hands down my favorite straight backpacking pack ever, bar none. Only minor gripe is i wish they added a tab loop or two on the sides to run a optional compression strap across the bag for holding snow shoes more securely. I have several videos up on youtube of both the Kutthroat and the Minikeg if you want to check them out.
Thanks for taking the time to make and share the video. The kutthroat is on the top of the list of packs to consider.

bozeman

WKR
Anyone hauled meat in with the Kutthroat to discuss load hauling ability? Deer, elk, bear? or just stick with a duplex lite setup?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Anyone hauled meat in with the Kutthroat to discuss load hauling ability? Deer, elk, bear? or just stick with a duplex lite setup?

I’ve hauled a bit with a 14er, it sort of sucked but the 14er is a great pack with 25lbs or less in it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I think I have owned every Kifaru frame made. The Kutthroat is my favorite pack from Kifaru. It is so lightweight yet so tough.

One elk pack out with 101 pounds, it's not easy to get this much meat in the pack. . Two mule deer pack-outs 77 pounds and 88 pounds. I have a scale at the truck to keep people from lying. HAHA. I won't say it's quite as comfortable as a duplex frame loaded down. But it's way more comfortable with 0-60 pounds than a frame pack.

2f282d4a216f10ca791150dfc2237937.jpg

784c8fc84404ec813336e05163a69bd0.jpg

Last edited:

bozeman

WKR
Thanks for the info, that is what I wanted to hear........I cant see myself carry over 75lbs (will bone out some meat if I have to).

Are you just placing the meat the main compartment and then just cleaning it out? No load shelf, so that was my main concern. Even thought of a 'grab-it' on the outside of the pack if needed.

I think I have owned every Kifaru frame made. The Kutthroat is my favorite pack from Kifaru. It is so lightweight yet so tough.

One elk pack out with 101 pounds, it's not easy to get this much meat in the pack. . Two mule deer pack-outs 77 pounds and 88 pounds. I have a scale at the truck to keep people from lying. HAHA. I won't say it's quite as comfortable as a duplex frame loaded down. But it's way more comfortable with 0-60 pounds than a frame pack.

You sold me on it.

Did it handle the 101lbs like other Kifaru packs in terms of durability and longevity? I realize it's not intended for that. Thanks Ryan!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
You sold me on it.

Did it handle the 101lbs like other Kifaru packs in terms of durability and longevity? I realize it's not intended for that. Thanks Ryan!
No issues with the durability the only holes in this pack was from me trying to use the pack as a cutting board. LOL.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the info, that is what I wanted to hear........I cant see myself carry over 75lbs (will bone out some meat if I have to).

Are you just placing the meat the main compartment and then just cleaning it out? No load shelf, so that was my main concern. Even thought of a 'grab-it' on the outside of the pack if needed.
Yes, just put the meat in the pack. I put it inside a garbage bag or a cheap 55L Coghlans bag to keep the blood off the pack.

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider

Are those both Kutthroats in the picture ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Just looking for opinions on a pack (internal kutthroat vs bag for my frame) that would be used for hiking/backpacking with no need for heavy meat hauling. The wife is more interested in backpacking but I, like many of you, am part pack mule for the "extras".

I really like the kutthroat and the features it offers. However, I already have a duplex frame with a 22mag. I offered up my 44mag to a member here and now have the itch to replace it. I do wish the back panel on the 44 mag had less pals webbing and was more like the hoodlum belt loop matrix but I'm cutting hairs there.

This coming from a kifaru newbie but no stranger to backpacking.

Thank you
If you follow Aron Snyder on IG you've probably seen him do the "ask me a question". I'm looking to get a camping pack for my wife so I asked about a 2-3 day backcountry camping pack, no hunting and he said Kutthroat.