Kifaru Long Hunter Leagacy/Mystery Ranch Nice 6500 pack Questions?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me some things about the Kifaru Long Hunter pack and maybe how it compares to the Mystery Ranch Nice 6500 pack. Im looking at taking one of these packs on a DIY sheep hunt into the Alaska Brooks Range. Im just looking for some Pro's and Con's on each, how they handle under loads and how they do on 20+ mile hikes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think your best bet is to look for guys that live close to you that have these packs, and maybe others and try them on and see what fits your body the best. I was able to try out a Kifaru DT1 a little while ago, and 4 of us tried it loaded up with 75lbs next to a MR 6500 loaded up with 75lbs. It was a 50/50 split between us on what frame we liked better.

Both bags will carry anything you want to as both are well constructed and built just plain tough.
The Longhunter carries the weight above the belt so it stacks the weight more vertically. The 6500 is a bit below the belt so it pulls more than stacks if that makes sense. Of course you have the obvious differences between the suspension system, and yes both will have useable load lifters.
I believe it was Aron (years ago) that said the 6500 frame was stiffer than woodpecker lips....I still laugh every time I say that. Funny, but true.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm with Todd!

Call me (Kifaru) and I'll give you the 411 on our stuff. Do the same with MR (call them).

Then ask users of both packs

But trying them on is by far the best.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've used both the NICE 6500 and Kifaru Longhunter on 20+ mile one way sheep hunts...both are great packs. Really comes down to what you want out of features....that said I went from NICE 6500 to Kifaru and haven't looked back. But just cause the Kifaru fits my body better doesn't mean it'll fit you better. For starters:

The Mystery Ranch be about 25-30% heavier starting pack weight than the Kifaru Longhunter.

The MR NICE 6500 has more built in exterior pockets.

The Kifaru frame is 26" tall and will have working load lifters even without the packbag on it where as the NICE frame will not.

NICE 6500 is made of thicker material from what I recall (which partly accounts for more weight) so it is slightly tougher I guess you could say, though both packs are bomber. That said I've put small holes in both packs from general use/abuse.

Really can't go wrong either way so long as the pack fits your body. Both companies have killer customer service and will get ya setup with what your hunting style might be.

Hope that helps.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've used both the NICE 6500 and Kifaru Longhunter on 20+ mile one way sheep hunts...both are great packs. Really comes down to what you want out of features....that said I went from NICE 6500 to Kifaru and haven't looked back. But just cause the Kifaru fits my body better doesn't mean it'll fit you better. For starters:

The Mystery Ranch be about 25-30% heavier starting pack weight than the Kifaru Longhunter.

The MR NICE 6500 has more built in exterior pockets.

The Kifaru frame is 26" tall and will have working load lifters even without the packbag on it where as the NICE frame will not.

NICE 6500 is made of thicker material from what I recall (which partly accounts for more weight) so it is slightly tougher I guess you could say, though both packs are bomber. That said I've put small holes in both packs from general use/abuse.

Really can't go wrong either way so long as the pack fits your body. Both companies have killer customer service and will get ya setup with what your hunting style might be.

Hope that helps.

Both the 6500 and Longhunter are made of 500D cordura

OP
B
I'm with Todd!

Call me (Kifaru) and I'll give you the 411 on our stuff. Do the same with MR (call them).

Then ask users of both packs

But trying them on is by far the best.

Good idea I think I will call the companies and find out more about there products.

Thanks for the info guy's.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll be at the Fairbanks show in April and will have the Kifaru packs with me. Larry will have them at the Anchorage show this weekend (Pristine Ventures booth).

Here's my # 720-937-1418

Here's MR's # (406) 585-1428

Snyd

WKR
I'll be at the Fairbanks show in April and will have the Kifaru packs with me. Larry will have them at the Anchorage show this weekend (Pristine Ventures booth).

Here's my # 720-937-1418

Cool! Can you bring my Bikini frame with you?! My due date isn't until May 20 though. :rolleyes:

Snyd

WKR
I was wondering if anyone could tell me some things about the Kifaru Long Hunter pack and maybe how it compares to the Mystery Ranch Nice 6500 pack. Im looking at taking one of these packs on a DIY sheep hunt into the Alaska Brooks Range. Im just looking for some Pro's and Con's on each, how they handle under loads and how they do on 20+ mile hikes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I stopped in at Kifaru a few weeks ago while on a ski trip to CO. I had already ordered a Bikini frame that I,m going to morph onto a bag I already have for now. I checked out the High Camp bag and Bikini frame and it looks like the hot setup to me. If I need a new bag next year that will be it. Go to the show next month and check out the Kifaru stuff. No doubt any number of their pack options will do the job and then some.

OP
B

Here's my # 720-937-1418

Awesome, will you have packs for sale...maybe the Long Hunter?

magpie

Banned
Bowhunter1,
I took a MR 7500 on a walk in sheep hunt last year in AK. It did very well but I've since sold it to get a different pack, either a kifaru or stone glacier. The extra 3-4 lbs was the ONLY deciding factor. Other then that its a very comfortable pack!