Kifaru LPP vs First Lite Chamberlain vs Sitka Kelvin WS Hoodie vs. Kuiu Superdown

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I didn’t take as you being a dick at all. And even if you were it doesn’t bother me.

There are other “non hunting” brand jackets that work as well or better than the FL, KUIU, and Sitka variants. Pretty much anything in the same fill power and weight from Patagonia (gasp the horror of mentioning them) is going to be a better quality and warmer coat as well. Same with Northface and Filson. Outdoor research and Arcteryx make really nice quality and field resistant puffy coats as well.

The LPP hits a nice little niche in warmth and durability at its price point. It’s the one “hunting” brand puffy coat I’d reccomend to guys before any of the other brands I’ve mentioned. As far as light weight, packable, down or synthetic puffy coats go I try to broaden guys horizons a little bit is all. There’s better quality and greater warmth if you’re okay stepping away from the hype and camo colors is all.
Thanks for the reply.

I love puffy jackets always on the lookout for the next one.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thanks for the reply.

I love puffy jackets always on the lookout for the next one.
Same here. If my Idaho non resident license, elk, deer, and wolf tags didn’t cost me $1,200 earlier this week I would be ordering that Nunatak custom order for Christmas. Went for the hunts instead.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Same here. If my Idaho non resident license, elk, deer, and wolf tags didn’t cost me $1,200 earlier this week I would be ordering that Nunatak custom order for Christmas. Went for the hunts instead.
That's always a better choice!

Vandy321

WKR
@Ryan Avery

Take a look at Montbell Alpine (the new one, not the plasma and not the light). Its 30D outer, 8oz of 850 fill, weighs 16oz overall and is $300. Warmer and more durable than anything I've found in hunting brands...any more durable and thins get heavy and $$...reference the arcteryx firebee and dually (made to hold up to ice climbing).

Edit: probably not more durable than the LPP, but at 1/2 the weight and with more warmth, pick your poison. I wear a Arcteryx Beta SV shell over any puffy if durability is a factory, although am rarely busting brush in a puffy, I get too hot.

Last edited:

TheCougar

WKR
Kind of tough to narrow down the "puffy' category because its like saying "pick the best car for me"... Puffy jackets have huge ranges in fill power, weight, durability, price, fill material, etc. I've used the Uncompaghre (not impressed in durability or warmth) Eddie Bauer (great budget puffy), the LPP (very impressed in both warmth and durability), MH Ghost Whisperer (warm and light, but not durable and I hated the shiny fabric) and Arcteryx Cerium (lightweight, warm, but not durable). I really, really like the LPP. This year was my first using the LPP and I'll be damned if it doesn't live up to the hype. Its heavy and bulky, but unless I need to go super light, its now a required piece of equipment.

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend checking out the Rab Valience. 6 oz of 800 FP, box baffled, and has a pertex shell that is waterproof. I haven’t tested its durability yet but I suspect it will be pretty sturdy.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
There are other “non hunting” brand jackets that work as well or better than the FL, KUIU, and Sitka variants. Pretty much anything in the same fill power and weight from Patagonia (gasp the horror of mentioning them) is going to be a better quality and warmer coat as well. Same with Northface and Filson. Outdoor research and Arcteryx make really nice quality and field resistant puffy coats as well.

The LPP hits a nice little niche in warmth and durability at its price point. It’s the one “hunting” brand puffy coat I’d reccomend to guys before any of the other brands I’ve mentioned (depending on temp needs) . As far as light weight, packable, down or synthetic puffy coats go I try to broaden guys horizons a little bit is all. There’s better quality and greater warmth if you’re okay stepping away from the hype and camo colors is all.

I appreciate you first response, but walking around and talking about warmth with a puffy is the same as walking around wrapped in a sleeping bag and saying how warm it is. I’ve been apart of quite a bit of work with determining what temperatures insulation layers are good to. Whenever someone starts saying “so and so is better”, I would like to know what “better” means to them. A real cold weather puffy isn’t for walking around, it’s for sitting and glassing in truly cold weather.

What jacket from Patagonia has 10 ounces of down? Same for Northface, Filson, OR, and Arctyrx?
The Chamberlin isn’t durable, nor would I expect it to be- it’s a puffy. There are only a couple jackets that have 10+ ounces of down, with a price and weight that remove them from contention. The FF Helios has 20% less fill than the Chamberlin, and it’s cut is not for hunting. The Snojack is in a different class in both weight and price.

It’s not hard to find that I’m not a fan of anything, especially hunting brand clothes, however the FL Chamberlin almost sits alone in its warmth/weight/price bracket.

valtteri

FNG
About hunting vs non-hunting brands.

I’ve been using an LPP and Arcteryx Thorium AR (down fill) concurrently for about two years and the Thorium is both lighter and much warmer. For me, if it’s really cold, I will always reach for the Thorium, I just know I’ll be warm in it where as the LPP would not keep me warm.

But the LPP just feels way more durable. Which is funny since the Thorium doesn’t even have a scratch on it but the LPP has started fraying from the cuffs and a couple of other places. Even still, the LPP just feel way more durable and I’ve probably put it through the ringer way more than the Thorium.

Still, if I had to choose one for hunting, I’d go for the Arcteryx simply because of less weight, more packability and more warmth.

For the apocalypse, I’d probably take the LPP.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
have only worn the FL Chamberlain, am working on a review now. It's the warmest coat I've ever worn, even ahead of the Kryptek Anorak.

not for hiking...

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
... A real cold weather puffy isn’t for walking around, it’s for sitting and glassing in truly cold weather.

...The Chamberlin isn’t durable, nor would I expect it to be- it’s a puffy....

... however the FL Chamberlin almost sits alone in its warmth/weight/price bracket.
I agree on all those points.

Clarence

WKR
What temperatures have you (personally) used each of these, with zero movement for multiple hours while being remaining completely comfortable?

Whatever Nunatek you have (details please)
FF Helios
WM Snkjack
Kifaru LPP
FL Chamberlin
Had the Chamberlain in the single digits for 3 hours with merino base layer, kuiu strong fleece 260 and guide jacket. Merino base layer bottom, guide pants, and under armor down pants on bottom. Sat on a z rest. 25-30 mph gusts. Pretty impressed how it blocked the wind. My feet were what would get me moving.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Had all four if I was rating them for warmth Chamberlin, Kelvin WS, and the LLP and Down pro to close to call.

But I will add I wear the LLP the most because it's the most durable, blocks the wind very well, and is very water-resistant. So basically I don't have to baby it as much as the others.

@Ryan Avery do you think the KUIU Superdown Pro is a hair warmer then the Stone Glacier Grumman? Ive gone back and forth and sitting in a tree stand this fall I feel like the SDP is a hair warmer even though it has 141 grams of down vs 150 grams of down to the Grumman. I think the super down pro has more down placed in certain spots to make it warmer where you need it.

However I like the 30d face fabric on the superdown pro but I have had way more down clusters poke through the shell then I have with the 15d pertex on the Grumman, which has been my only complaint on the superdown pro.

Derek abrahamson

FNG
Classified Approved
Had all four if I was rating them for warmth Chamberlin, Kelvin WS, and the LLP and Down pro to close to call.

But I will add I wear the LLP the most because it's the most durable, blocks the wind very well, and is very water-resistant. So basically I don't have to baby it as much as the others.
how's the fit compared from the chamberlin to the lpp? I'm a fat tall guy so arm and torso length make a difference. I'm trying to plan a Alaska moose hunt and trying to have my gear on point thank you

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t owned a Nunatak only tried on/borrowed one from a friend from Alaska when it was -37 F and blowing strong wind and my LPP was absolutely no match for the temps. He told me to throw on his coat and go back outside so I obliged. A whole different level of jacket.

For your questions, it’s hard to say on all of them. I’ve owned each one over the last few years and I spend a lot of time in the field. Trying to think of hunts where I was “completely still” for more than 5 or so hours. I usually get moving after 5 or 6 hours of sitting still.

Probably the best test would be the 6-8 hour sits for whitetail. I’ve since switched to dedicated bibs and super heavy jacket for those hunts when it’s cold. Something I’d never backpack or hunt with. Before the bibs and heavy jacket I’ve sat still in anywhere from 40 degrees F down to -25 F. And all temps in between. I’ve worn LPP, WM, Helios, and Chamberlin in those scenarios. What info on each are you looking for exactly? Each one has some strengths and weaknesses, and each one provides torso and core “warmth” overall. Most guys biggest flaw in keeping warm stationary is not insulating their legs, hips, and butt.

These threads pop up all the time for “best” puffy jacket and I like to try to broaden people’s horizons from the honestly crappy jackets for the price from Kuiu, FL, and Sitka.
Ryan I like your style dude!

Superdoo

WKR
I went with the Sitka WS. It was on sale, which helped.
I looked at my layering the same way I look at insulting a building. If you let cold wind through, it really doesn’t matter what the r value of the garment is.
It’s like building a house out of ICF’s and leaving a window cracked open.
Some folks will throw a WS shell over the top. That works, but you’ve added another piece to the puzzle.
The WS jacket was the only one I found that actually used a WS layer. Others claim effectiveness in wind, but that leaves too much to interpretation for me.
I live and hunt mostly in ND, so my priorities may differ from others. 😉

So far, I have been very happy with the purchase. Though I wish the hood was removable. It is an abomination.

rclouse79

WKR
My trusty cabelas bargain bin puffy finally ripped. I just ordered the decathlon trek 100 based on that spreadsheet someone posted. That thing destroyed every single coat on the warmth per dollar ratio. I am a big sucker when it comes to bang for your buck. Hopefully it isn't a pile of junk, but for $80 I will risk it.

@Ryan Avery Ryan you said you probably wear the LPP the most. Is this the case for backpack hunting. I've used superdown pro before and did like it. I never used the LPP and I'm either going back to the super down pro or gonna try a LPP for first time. This is for backpack hunting, which one would you choose?

Maverick1

WKR
Interesting. Kuiu scored dead last in warmth per $.
TTT. Some folks were looking for this spreadsheet.