Kifaru LPP vs First Lite Uncompaghre - need some advice!

Kifaru Lost Park Parka or FirstLite Uncompaghre?

• Kifaru LPP

• FirstLite Uncompaghre

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm wanting to get a synthetic puffy jacket. I've got some great down gear from Kuiu but I want something that will work when its wet and then dry out quickly. I'm debating between the Kifaru LPP and the First Lite Uncompaghre jackets. The FL would be a bit cheaper for me with a coupon I have but neither one is outrageously priced and I'm more concerned with quality. I'm leaning towards the LPP because the Rhino Skin outer fabric seams more durable. Which one do YOU consider "better" (for your own hunting) and why?

For the LPP folks - Do you prefer the 1/2 zip or the full zip? I can't decide. The full zip seems like a good idea for dumping heat (I wish the LPP had pit zips!) but I sure do like that kangaroo pocket on the 1/2 zip! Does the 1/2 zip shed heat quickly if I you zip it all the way down?

*zap*

WKR
I only have the uncomphagre but from what I have read about the lpp the two are really not similar. I would think the use you have planned would dictate the choice that you make. So, my opinion is that if your choosing between two products they should offer similar attributes. My uncomphagre is a mid layer for sitting when it is cold and an outer for non bush wacking mild temps or worn under a wind shell while moving in cold. Also a sleeping bag temp extender.

Last edited:

WJS23

WKR
I have the FL Uncompaghre and have used it for the past 5 years and have had no problems with it. I am going to order the lpp in a few weeks to see how that is

I have had both, stuck with the FL. The LPP is a warm jacket, I used the 1/4 zip model but I hated packing it. I used it mainly for sitting in a tree in eastern Kansas. Once I moved I offloaded it. I’ve had my FL for several years and use it all the time. It packs down nice , which is convenient for me. Before each season I wash it with NixWax and replenish its DWR coating and it works well for me as an outer layer.

I have both with the Kifaru being the 1/2 zip. The LPP is warmer, bulkier, and the kangaroo pocket is great. The hood on the First Lite is much better since you can adjust it. That weird angled zip on the First Lite is nice as well.

Esse quam videri

WyoElk

WKR
If I was treestand hunting, or hunting in this miserable cold I might lean toward the LPP however as an active hunter I can’t say enough good things about my FL. It’s amazing how broad of a temperature range it’s comfortable to wear in and with the correct layering it will keep you cold in the deep deep cold. I honestly think my FL puffy is my sole best piece of gear I own.

Kotaman

WKR
I have both of these as well as the Sitka Kelvin Lite. All three are great jackets but I actually prefer the Kelvin Lite in this ”class”. The LPP is the warmest of the three. IMO, the Uncompagre does the best job of managing moisture if you’re moving. (My experience in hiking all three). The Sitka just seems to be a nice “medium” in all features. Ca’nt go wrong with any of them really. Just pick the one that fits your needs best.

I've also had both, and offloaded them both. The qz LPP is bulky, and your lower torso will not get a heat dump from opening the qz. I'm not a kangaroo pocket guy, at all. I gotta say that the jacket is pretty darn tough though. I think an average user would be hard pressed to tear it up. One thing that repeatedly perturbed me about it was that I couldn't sit and eat wtih it on without the collar getting in my way. Also the hood on the qz is a zip-off and was always coming partially unzipped on me. I don't believe that is the case with the full-zip.

Regarding the uncompahgre I never tore it up but it felt cheap. Definitely more packable than the LPP. Didn't like the pocket placement, and the zippers were always hanging up on me. Also it just wasn't as warm as I wanted it to be.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Thanks for the replies so far. About equal number for and 'against' each one - kinda what I figured. lol! Wish I could afford both!

novcie870

WKR
I have had both and am a LPP fan. I was surprised how quickly I got cold in my FL. I love it for September elk hunting but found I can stay plenty warm for the September conditions with a Klamath hoody and vest under a rain jacket. I needed my Puffy to keep me warm in October - January for deer, late season elk, and waterfowl. The LPP is definitely warmer and more durable. I have the full zip and love it! It’s tough enough to stand up to the conditions I hunt and the full zip does vent very well. I do run cold generally. My brother runs warmer than me and loves his FL. Really depends on your tolerance and demands. Good luck! I went through the same decision making process as you and am happy to have my go to Puffy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
I've had/have both a full and 1/2 zip lpp and the FL. I'm not really a fan of any of them. The FL was the most comfortable and had the best cut, it isn't very warm for the weight. The zipper failed so it's worthless now.
The 1/2 lpp wasn't for me. The full is better. Imo the only thing the lpp has going for it, is it uses 3.5 apex. The fit sucks for me, the cut is to short, the sleeve ends are horrible. I find the cordura patches extremely annoying, my elbows constantly catch on the pocket opening. The cordura also makes the jacket really stiff and uncomfortable. I have zero intentions of belly crawling with a puffy on, the place I'd want reinforced would be the back cause I'm occasionally leaning against rock faces when glassing. The lpp is also really, really heavy and bulky. I think my large weighs about 26-27 oz. Starting over the only synthetic I'd consider would probably be Nunateck, Sitka, or mountaineering brands.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I have had both, stuck with the FL. The LPP is a warm jacket, I used the 1/4 zip model but I hated packing it. I used it mainly for sitting in a tree in eastern Kansas. Once I moved I offloaded it. I’ve had my FL for several years and use it all the time. It packs down nice , which is convenient for me. Before each season I wash it with NixWax and replenish its DWR coating and it works well for me as an outer layer.

This is a good idea, which nikwax product do you use?

nickstone

WKR
I have owned both. I currently only own the Lost park. If I had to do it over I would have gotten the full zip, but they didn't offer it back when I purchased mine. Overall the Lost park is much more durable and way better built. Even thought the material is stronger on it, I put a hole in my running through some thick brush when I first got it.

I owned the first uncompaghre for a very short time before I noticed a decent sized hole in the sleeve near the cuff from a seamed that appeared to not be finished. I sent it back to FL for a replacement that also had some issues with it. I really wanted to be able to use the uncompaghre, but after 2 jackets having issues back to back, in the back of my mind I'll never be able to have full confidence in any of their products. I probably own 12-15 things from FL and I'd guess that 25% of them had had QC issues that should have never made it to a customer.

I've never had that concern with anything from Kifaru.

I'm wanting to get a synthetic puffy jacket. I've got some great down gear from Kuiu but I want something that will work when its wet and then dry out quickly. I'm debating between the Kifaru LPP and the First Lite Uncompaghre jackets. The FL would be a bit cheaper for me with a coupon I have but neither one is outrageously priced and I'm more concerned with quality. I'm leaning towards the LPP because the Rhino Skin outer fabric seams more durable. Which one do YOU consider "better" (for your own hunting) and why?

For the LPP folks - Do you prefer the 1/2 zip or the full zip? I can't decide. The full zip seems like a good idea for dumping heat (I wish the LPP had pit zips!) but I sure do like that kangaroo pocket on the 1/2 zip! Does the 1/2 zip shed heat quickly if I you zip it all the way down?

Maybe I missed it in the thread but what type of hunting are you doing? Your clothing system can be the complete opposite than the next guy solely based on the style or type of hunting your doing. Like mentioned above these jackets are no comparison. Not knocking either one at all because I own both but they are for totally different types of hunts or set ups.

tdhanses

WKR
I have both and the LPP is warmer, both are durable. I prefer a full zip and wish it had been available been I got my LPP. If I could only have one it would be the LPP.