Kifaru LPP vs Kuiu Kenai Ultra Input

Wright406

WKR
Roksliders,

I've owned the previous version Kenai and regret offloading it. I havent owned the LPP but I'm eyeballing some synthetic options to add to my arsenal to supplement my other down products.

I'm looking for those who have owned both and how they stack up against one another.

The Kifaru is heavier and looks more durable.

Just looking for any input.

Thanks!

Brendan

WKR
Like you I loved my original Kenai, except the damn wrist cuffs where I couldn't take the thing off with a watch on... Just replaced it this season with the new one because my old one was 2014 vintage.. I have the LPP too.

I actually haven't taken the tags off the kenai yet, fit is a little looser. I am debating if I need to size down from large to medium, but will probably let it ride. It feels maybe a little lighter weight and even a little less insulation than the original, but hard to tell. Can't tell you how that plays out in the field yet.

Kifaru is definitely heavier and warmer, more durable shell with more wind blocking and DWR. The Kenai is quiet if you're a close range bowhunter, the Kifaru is not. I view the Kenai as a September-Archery type of puffy, or even a layer in colder weather. Kifaru is a colder / wetter weather puffy with more of a shell to the exterior.

Last edited:

sr80

WKR
I don't think you can really compare the two as they are not similiar. Kifaru is much warmer, great for throwing on overtop of other clothing when stationary glassing or in camp, and the kenai is like a thick mid layer. At least that is my opinion of the two. Miss the pullover LPP i had.

OP
Wright406

Wright406

WKR
I don't think you can really compare the two as they are not similiar. Kifaru is much warmer, great for throwing on overtop of other clothing when stationary glassing or in camp, and the kenai is like a thick mid layer. At least that is my opinion of the two. Miss the pullover LPP i had.
Appreciate it. That’s similar to what I thought a main difference was.

OP
Wright406

Wright406

WKR
Like you I loved my original Kenai, except the damn wrist cuffs where I couldn't take the thing off with a watch on... Just replaced it this season with the new one because my old one was 2014 vintage.. I have the LPP too.

I actually haven't taken the tags off the kenai yet, fit is a little looser. I am debating if I need to size down from large to medium, but will probably let it ride. It feels maybe a little lighter weight and even a little less insulation than the original, but hard to tell. Can't tell you how that plays out in the field yet.

Kifaru is definitely heavier and warmer, more durable shell with more wind blocking and DWR. The Kenai is quiet if you're a close range bowhunter, the Kifaru is not. I view the Kenai as a September-Archery type of puffy, or even a layer in colder weather. Kifaru is a colder / wetter weather puffy with more of a shell to the exterior.
Those damn wrist cuffs were a pain for sure.

Brendan

WKR
How do they compare size/fit wise? I have a large Kenai and been looking at getting an LPP.

I'm a large Kenai, Large LPP. Right on the border that I could go down on both to mediums (5'11", 175#, 42" chest). The Large LPP is nice if you want to be able to throw it on over the top of another jacket, but medium would be better if just wearing over lighter mid layers.