Kifaru Lumbar Irritation

jge340456

FNG
Also.. where their bags slip onto the top of the frame stays... whatever fabric textile that is where the grab handle hole is at... when I'm loaded heavy the damn thing wants to squeek and sqauwk with every step I take.

Cannot sneak around like that. When I called them regarding THAT issue, they suggested... get this... Hockey Tape! Seriously? You're gonna have somebody N***a-Rig-it to solve this issue on the $1000 pack they bought from you? The Hockey tape solution sorta worked.. but by the end of the 2nd day.. it had worked itself off the top of the frame stays. So that's NOT a "solution" in my book.
i use some thick rubbery heat shink tubing on both ends of the stays. leave it long and fold it over on itself while its hot.

TheGDog

WKR
I love my kifaru, but I had to remove the lumbar pad. It was killing me. Love it without one. Can’t recommend enough.
Seems to me like all they'd have to do is change the material which covers that pad... as well as make it not hang down so damn far. Part of the issue, I believe, is that grippy-textured material they cover it with.

It's like, you know darn well the persons body is going to need to slip-and-slide across that pad to some small degree simply by virtue of the pelvis rotating in both directions with each step taken. So in my mind... that grippy textured material is trying to hold-on to you... when it really shouldn't be. That's what the shoulder straps and the sides of the hipbelt over the iliac crests are for, no?

Seems to me like all they'd have to do is change the material which covers that pad... as well as make it not hang down so damn far. Part of the issue, I believe, is that grippy-textured material they cover it with.

It's like, you know darn well the persons body is going to need to slip-and-slide across that pad to some small degree simply by virtue of the pelvis rotating in both directions with each step taken. So in my mind... that grippy textured material is trying to hold-on to you... when it really shouldn't be. That's what the shoulder straps and the sides of the hipbelt over the iliac crests are for, no?
I don’t know so much that it was material for me as it was my body type. The pad just put too much pressure on my lower back.

You’re right about the grippy material, it’s for durability more than anything but something I think they could fix as far as comfort..seen more people complain about this issue than anything else who were confused as to why it was happening.

After running there system for a few years and contacting customer service multiple times trying to figure it out, I finally just switched pack companies. Same specs same fit, different material for lumbar lad. Problem solved. Honestly I hope they do switch materials, I’d def like to get back into a Kifaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
cover it with adhesive backed felt and see if its better?
You wouldn't exactly want THAT either as it'd be a magnet for picking up dirt/crap and rubbing it all over your lumbar. From the multiple times during the day of dropping your pack to do a set, whether for deer or coyotes/preds.

But that thought is along the right track though. Something softer, that isn't grippy, that won't hang on to dirt.

Last edited:
I recently bought a duplex lite 26” frame.

I came across this thread searching for Kifaru lumbar pad issues. After having the frame on my back (no weight) and the belt not too tight for 10 + minutes I get an ache in my lower back.

Been running the Exo K2 frames the last several years and haven’t had any issues.

I guess I’ll give it a few more tries and if it’s the same result go back to the K2.

TheGDog

WKR
I recently bought a duplex lite 26” frame.

I came across this thread searching for Kifaru lumbar pad issues. After having the frame on my back (no weight) and the belt not too tight for 10 + minutes I get an ache in my lower back.

Been running the Exo K2 frames the last several years and haven’t had any issues.

I guess I’ll give it a few more tries and if it’s the same result go back to the K2.
Cool...OK... so it's not just me. Thank you for reporting!

Theodoreh

FNG
Note: Anyone ever sew a different fabric on the pad?

Full disclosure, I've had this issue with my kifaru since the beginning but it's only when packing 70# plus so I've just dealt with it, but my back will rub raw on heavy pack outs.

I've contacted customer service several times throughout the years and have tried different stays, different shoulder pads lengths, added and removed padding, and back and fourth pics for fit adjustments... all with no results.

Essentially the belt slides down with heavy loads no matter what I try and I think the material they use on the pad itself isn't soft or tacky enough to keep in place. I also think the design itself allows the pad to very slightly move up and down on the frame.

Anyone out here make any modifications to their pads? I was thinking about sewing a different material on the pad, or maybe I need to find a better fitting pack.

I've tried Exo, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Kifaru but thinking maybe a seekoutside pack might ride 9n my back better.
Any update? I know this thread is 2 years old. You must have done a lot backpacking since then.

Have you tried stone glacier or exo k4?

TheGDog

WKR
BTW... re: Outdoorsman's Palisades pack and I mentioned minor squeaking issue. THAT turned out to be that the load-lifters straps were just a hair too tightened. So make mental note of that as a possible fix to try should any of you be experiencing a similar circumstance of hearing squeaking up high by the back of your shoulders, whilst on the move.

For the EMR II, that squeaking was because of the type of material where the top edge "sheath" of their bag, slides onto the composite "frame" sheet. Especially when tightening the straps across it's back to make sure contents don't move around whilst on the move. I noted the supposed composite "frame" sheet warps backwards towards the tightened straps exerting their force upon the bag, then bag slipped over the top of the frame stays. So.... in the "apex of the turn" in the area of rounding at the corner.. whatever that textile is which rubs it's super tightened up right there because of it's design to allow for some flexion so that, presumably, the pack will "move with" the users upper body movements.

OP
A
Any update? I know this thread is 2 years old. You must have done a lot backpacking since then.

Have you tried stone glacier or exo k4?
I eventually bought 3 additional packs- KUIU, SG, and EXO to test them SxS. I discovered the EXO ended up feeling the best for me under heavy load and sold my Kifaru.

I never found a fix for my lumbar issue on the Kifaru, but I don't have it with the Exo FWIW.