Kifaru Lumbar Irritation

Note: Anyone ever sew a different fabric on the pad?

Full disclosure, I've had this issue with my kifaru since the beginning but it's only when packing 70# plus so I've just dealt with it, but my back will rub raw on heavy pack outs.

I've contacted customer service several times throughout the years and have tried different stays, different shoulder pads lengths, added and removed padding, and back and fourth pics for fit adjustments... all with no results.

Essentially the belt slides down with heavy loads no matter what I try and I think the material they use on the pad itself isn't soft or tacky enough to keep in place. I also think the design itself allows the pad to very slightly move up and down on the frame.

Anyone out here make any modifications to their pads? I was thinking about sewing a different material on the pad, or maybe I need to find a better fitting pack.

I've tried Exo, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Kifaru but thinking maybe a seekoutside pack might ride 9n my back better.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I hate lumbar pads regardless whose packs they're on. With heavy loads they always seem to put the pressure right on my spine. That's why I use 1-piece belts without lumbar pads and lock them in above my hips.......no way for the belt to slip anywhere. Then all the pressure is on my hips and shoulders. I can deal with that.

OP
A
I hate lumbar pads regardless whose packs they're on. With heavy loads they always seem to put the pressure right on my spine. That's why I use 1-piece belts without lumbar pads and lock them in above my hips.......no way for the belt to slip anywhere. Then all the pressure is on my hips and shoulders. I can deal with that.
I've been eyeballing a Seekoutside pack for that reason. My issue is, I do have a really curved back so some of the 1 piece options don't ride on my upper back correctly

tttoadman

WKR
I tried the SO without the lumbar pad and I could feel the vertical stays pushing in my back and ribs a little. I put on the minimal lumbar pad and it was a reasonable compromise.

I have played around with a couple of the pads to make them more tapered to fit the back more evenly. that helped a little with contacting more area and slipping less.

It could come down to fit/adjustment and securing the meat and or gear in the bag appropriately to alleviate the issue. If the length isn’t adjusted properly, you will have issues when you are fully loaded. The proper stays make a difference as well. I previously had the Bikini Frame which was a great frame, but it took quite some time and effort to get adjusted. This time around I bought the rigid Tactical Frame with the carbon stays, and a UL frame. They are both much much easier to adjust. Getting the length right is a huge deal and not hard to adjust compared to the Bikini. It just takes a little time and effort. You have to learn the frame and adjustments. Essentially you have to become intimate with the frame knowing it inside out. Just like a bow or rifle. Once you find that sweet spot, these are awesome frames!

fatlander

WKR
Kifaru packs are money if you have a booty. Most of the complaints of slippage I’ve seen are from lack of derrière. I’ve noticed the more muscle I put on in that area, the better my pack has felt under heavy loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPD350

WKR
If you don't have the right stays installed you will never get adjusted right. If you have carbon stays and they don't fit your back just perfect you'll get movement when you pull the load lifters on heavy loads, that was an issue I had. The fix for me, I switched to aluminum stays and bent them to the right curve and all the issues went away, the thing about aluminum is that they will flex when you pull the load lifters so the pad stays where it is suppose to be.

zacattack

WKR

Full disclosure, I've had this issue with my kifaru since the beginning but it's only when packing 70# plus so I've just dealt with it, but my back will rub raw on heavy pack outs.

I've contacted customer service several times throughout the years and have tried different stays, different shoulder pads lengths, added and removed padding, and back and fourth pics for fit adjustments... all with no results.

Essentially the belt slides down with heavy loads no matter what I try and I think the material they use on the pad itself isn't soft or tacky enough to keep in place. I also think the design itself allows the pad to very slightly move up and down on the frame.

Anyone out here make any modifications to their pads? I was thinking about sewing a different material on the pad, or maybe I need to find a better fitting pack.

I've tried Exo, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Kifaru but thinking maybe a seekoutside pack might ride 9n my back better.
I have no idea if this will help but I used to over tighten the load lifters and it would pull the lumbar pad away from my body causing slippage. Now I just get them snug and no problems.

Kifaru packs are money if you have a booty. Most of the complaints of slippage I’ve seen are from lack of derrière. I’ve noticed the more muscle I put on in that area, the better my pack has felt under heavy loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And I’m betting 99% of those complaints happened because most people wear their pack adjusted so the hip belt is too low.

Kifaru’s lumbar pad will stick to glass. Plus, human antimony says any belt won’t slip if the pack is adjusted to fit properly. That’s on any brand. Especially one with such a beefy and textured lumbar pad.

If people would get over the looks of a properly adjusted pack and wear it where it should be worn, unless the belt loosens, it can’t slip. That’s physics 101.

I know everyone is built different. And sone brands fit those builds better. But, if you fasten the center padding of any belt over the tips of your hip bones, it’s going to hold unless your shoulder harness is adjusted too long. Period. End of story. That’s science. Not my opinion.

WRM

WKR
I've never had that specific issue and I've used several packs with lumbar pads. First off, as noted above, make absolutely sure you are running the pack correctly. Many people think they have a pack situated properly only to find the issues they are experiencing are really due to improper adjustment (and that sometimes is seemingly very minor tweaks that need to be made to get a proper fit).

You could try lukotape on your hotspot area and see if that helps alleviate the rubbing and irritation.

I run a HPG Prairie Belt on my packs because I have "no assitol" disease and it is critical at 90 pound loads to have that belt (for me). It may be something for you to look at, but I have never run one on a Kifaru frame.

That is an aggravating situation. Hope you resolve it, and please let us know if you do and how!

Last edited:
OP
A
I've gone back and forth with customer service multiple times. I've sent numerous pics in of the fit and by all account, it's setup correctly. Maybe I just am anatomically different from some cause it'll make my back bleed if I don't put tape or moleskin on my tailbone.
It could come down to fit/adjustment and securing the meat and or gear in the bag appropriately to alleviate the issue. If the length isn’t adjusted properly, you will have issues when you are fully loaded. The proper stays make a difference as well. I previously had the Bikini Frame which was a great frame, but it took quite some time and effort to get adjusted. This time around I bought the rigid Tactical Frame with the carbon stays, and a UL frame. They are both much much easier to adjust. Getting the length right is a huge deal and not hard to adjust compared to the Bikini. It just takes a little time and effort. You have to learn the frame and adjustments. Essentially you have to become intimate with the frame knowing it inside out. Just like a bow or rifle. Once you find that sweet spot, these are awesome frames!

OP
A
And I’m betting 99% of those complaints happened because most people wear their pack adjusted so the hip belt is too low.

Kifaru’s lumbar pad will stick to glass. Plus, human antimony says any belt won’t slip if the pack is adjusted to fit properly. That’s on any brand. Especially one with such a beefy and textured lumbar pad.

If people would get over the looks of a properly adjusted pack and wear it where it should be worn, unless the belt loosens, it can’t slip. That’s physics 101.

I know everyone is built different. And sone brands fit those builds better. But, if you fasten the center padding of any belt over the tips of your hip bones, it’s going to hold unless your shoulder harness is adjusted too long. Period. End of story. That’s science. Not my opinion.
This is not the case for me. I've been backpack hunting for a long time and have had numerous people verify the fitment is correct, including Frank and Dayna.

Serious question, what's the heaviest load and over what distance you've used in your pack? If you've never packed half an Elk out for several miles you might not notice the problem. LEGIT not trying to be a dick... just never noticed it myself until I did.

Last edited:
This is not the case for me. I've been backpack hunting for a long time and have had numerous people verify the fitment is correct, including Frank and Dayna.

Serious question, what's the heaviest load and over what distance you've used in your pack? If you've never packed half an Elk out for several miles you might not notice the problem. LEGIT not trying to be a dick... just never noticed it myself until I did.
Half a bull elk. A whole side. Numerous times. I really don’t know what to say except I couldn’t imagine it not irritating my back with all the sweat that’d be pouring out of me.

Good luck.

Vandy321

WKR

I went through the gambit with Kifaru as well, stays, belts, straps...nothing worked. EXO slipped on me as well. SG x-cirve is rock solid with 80+#.

No 'one sized fits' all fix...just gotta keep experimenting till you find a pack that works for your back/body.

Steadman

WKR
I've cut the padding in half, where the two colors meet and have had better success. That's worked for me, not having that thicker pad.

TheGDog

WKR
I've gone back and forth with customer service multiple times. I've sent numerous pics in of the fit and by all account, it's setup correctly. Maybe I just am anatomically different from some cause it'll make my back bleed if I don't put tape or moleskin on my tailbone.
Kifaru EMR II here.

I adjusted the shoulder straps to be as far downward in their adjustment range on the pack frame as they would go... because of injury I have... I'm trying to lift that lumbar pad OFF of my saccrum. It always seems to slide down to top of saccrum though once things get heavy. And I also switched to using First-Lite suspenders because their lumbar pad would grind on my pants belt... pushing it into my area of injury. (Cabelas T-Buckle Nylon belt it was). The First-Lite suspenders helped a lot as I can let the pants be loose around my (ever-growing) waist, so that the up-and-down movement of that lumbar pad can just push the back of my pants downward as needed so the seam of the pant doesn't, again, just grind into my area of injury.

And... trying to further lift that Lumbar pad off that area.... I can't tighten the bottom front of the shoulder straps anymore than I already am, otherwise it starts pinching into the skin of my pecs. Because apparently the padded portion of the shoulder straps aren't long enough for my torso?

Also.. where their bags slip onto the top of the frame stays... whatever fabric textile that is where the grab handle hole is at... when I'm loaded heavy the damn thing wants to squeek and sqauwk with every step I take.

Cannot sneak around like that. When I called them regarding THAT issue, they suggested... get this... Hockey Tape! Seriously? You're gonna have somebody N***a-Rig-it to solve this issue on the $1000 pack they bought from you? The Hockey tape solution sorta worked.. but by the end of the 2nd day.. it had worked itself off the top of the frame stays. So that's NOT a "solution" in my book.

The next suggestions was Bowstring wax. That seems to help marginally. But still not completely.

So in review, the key factors that have helped me the most in not having that Lumbar pad give me some rash, is to make sure the packs hip-belt is pretty darn snug. Adjusting where the shoulders straps begin from at the bottom of the frame to be at the lowest setting. (Which incidently causes that velcro in the middle of their shoulder straps to want to rip away and pull away slightly on that back-pad everytime I go to lift up the pack by a shoulder strap to bring it up to my back and shoulders. I'm often cleaning oak leaves out of there.)

And the biggest help has been using the First-Lite suspenders that employ one strap in back and two in front. They're cheap and awesome if you have a little bit of a gut. That way when on an ambush sit, and I have to undo my top button on my pants and maybe even unzip slightly to be for sure comfortable, what with my injury area in the back. Then if I have to rise for anything it's no problemo as the suspenders just do their thing and hold the pants up anyway.

ALSO when hiking back out, I end up having to stop and pull-back-down my shirt backs at intervals because they inevitably end up getting walked back up my back presumably from however that lumbar pad happens to do a little up-and-down movement while trekking along, especially when you have to do a lot of high stepping upward with knees raised up. Such as an area with a lot of downed timber.

Having mentioned all these things, I'd like to ask you all the following:
I want a pack that's big like the EMR II, to where I could carry out a black bear solo if I had to, in one trip. BUT... is it too much to ask to want a pack that's quite?? And comfy as well? This kifaru is decently comfortable. Certainly it was much more comfortable than the used Badlands 2200 I first had used where the front belt buckle kept constantly undoing itself and sliding loose with the ton of my sweat wetting up the belt webbing while packing out my 1st deer... resulting in a horrific pack rash on my belly.

Last edited:
I've never had that specific issue and I've used several packs with lumbar pads. First off, as noted above, make absolutely sure you are running the pack correctly. Many people think they have a pack situated properly only to find the issues they are experiencing are really due to improper adjustment (and that sometimes is seemingly very minor tweaks that need to be made to get a proper fit).

You could try lukotape on your hotspot area and see if that helps alleviate the rubbing and irritation.

I run a HPG Prairie Belt on my packs because I have "no assitol" disease and it is critical at 90 pound loads to have that belt (for me). It may be something for you to look at, but I have never run one on a Kifaru frame.

That is an aggravating situation. Hope you resolve it, and please let us know if you do and how!
So you run a a Hill People Gear hip belt on a kifaru frame? Which hip belt i know they make a couple. Also which frame? I only ask because i just got a bikini and have the same condition.

TheGDog

WKR
PS I've since purchase an Outdoorsman Palisade pack. It's smaller at 5500cu in. And I'm gonna have to get some different solutions for pouches on the hipbelt, since their hipbelt doesn't have the Molle attachment points.

But overall the comfort is better. It has a little bit of an issue with Squeeks/ Squawks while hiking since it's engineered such that the bag attaches to it's frame by just pushing thru a slot the ending "buckle" clip on the end of the straps which fasten the bag to the packframe.

But it's done like that on theirs, because with their design you can then disconnect 1 of the two pairs of straps at each of those connections points...and the other pair? It eminates from another connection point on the bag and has an adjusted buckle so you can separate the pack from fram in order to stuff your meatbag/quarters in-between and then cinch those straps tightened up to have the bag hold the meatbag up against the frame, so you can stuff in-between items of varying sizes.

So overall the comfort is better. But still has it's own sound/squeak issues to contend with as well. Going to _try_ putting some bowstring wax around the backside edge of those slots you push the buckle/clip thing thru in the hopes that it can sorta "lubricate" where the pckframe and those buckle/clips are making contact with each other and squawking once your packs starts having some weight in it, causing it to pull upon those upper connection points.

To anyone reading this. Don't bother ordering that Extra lumbar cushion for the hipbelt. if you're like me and have this injury condition, that extra lumbar support pad actually ends up hurting you MORE! Since it causes that area of the belt to be raised, and thus push into you even more when tightened. For a non-injured person? I dunno... guess It's *possible* that pad could help them. Just wasn't my case is all.

And their Guide lid... it's not bad. But it overall has less capacity then the Kifaru one. And I LOVE the Kifaru Guide lid, with an extra pouch attached upon the back of it!

I went through the gambit with Kifaru as well, stays, belts, straps...nothing worked. EXO slipped on me as well. SG x-cirve is rock solid with 80+#.

No 'one sized fits' all fix...just gotta keep experimenting till you find a pack that works for your back/body.
Heard that before. More than a few times. Im curious as to what is making the difference. Design, fabric, body type....??