Kifaru Lumbar Pack

slowelk

WKR
I recently talked about this with one of the guys at Kifaru and they told me that popularity of Lumbar packs is very cyclical, and there isn't enough demand to consistently offer one. I brought up the consistent WTB adds on rokslide and they said that they are aware of the second-hand market, but restated the lack of demand on the new market. He did say it's more likely than not that there will be another lumbar pack in the future, but nothing was immanent.

Just last week I posted a WTB add for a Hellcat, and it should be arriving today. That's their most recent offering and is likely the easiest to find out of the Scout, Tailgunner, and Hellcat.

pc3

WKR
Id like them to do a run again. I'd buy one straight up, great for short day outings etc. I have an outdoorsman one which I like. But I know a Kifaru would be next level up.

They should do an expression of interest run on one of their models, people place orders when they reach X number they need for it to be worthwhile do the run, charge the credit cards

Keep it simple, offer choice of two colors or whatever. I mean they'd have the patterns etc. there, not as though they have to design it from scratch.

Which model was the larger one ?was that the best of them ?

Cutknife

FNG
Years ago when I lived back east and spent many weeks hunting the 6 million acre Adirondack park, average hunting day was 7 to 10 miles. That chunk of woods is 99.99% forested, moving around quietly in forest that thick is extremely difficult. Myself and other companions tried hunting with packs but always went back to the lumbar pack due to always hitting the never ending limbs and downed trees, the older you get the worse it gets because you can’t bend over that far.

Everyone in the group carried a burlap bag tied to their lumbar pack. When deer was down we would meetup, bone out the deer then divde the meat between everyones burlap bag. Just tie a knot in the bag, throw it over your shoulder like Santa and start humping the meat out. That far north some of the deer would dress out at 200 pounds so the more people you had the better.

Not sure what’s out there today but back then all the lumbar packs sucked. My idea of the perfect big woods lumbar pack would have the ability to attach a durable bag for meat at the top of the shoulder straps and down lower by the lumbar bag. This bag would be stowed in the main bag until needed so limb clearance issues are avoided.

The way we hunted this kind of lumbar pack would have been ideal, then again not many people hunted the way we did out there so not not sure how big the market would be for this type of pack.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be really interested in a lumbar pack that'd mount on the duplex frame, similar to the outdoorsmans system. I understand having the frame stays still poking up isn't as low profile as a normal lumbar pack, but it'd still be lower profile than even running a daypack sized bag on the frame, and worth the trade off to be able to pack meat out comfortably. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

stump06

WKR
I have an older Easton hinch lumbar pack that I use some and love. I'd love to have a Kifaru lumbar pack tho, if they made another hellcat run id definitely pick one up. It'd be cool to see a pullout meat shelf or sack where you could put a small load in, or attachment points for a guide lid/LCP/bane/sherman for a little more room.

wesfromky

WKR
I love my tailgunner and use it quite a bit. I had a hellcat as well, but didn't end up using it nearly as much, so sold it.

OP
G_Tacoma

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago when I lived back east and spent many weeks hunting the 6 million acre Adirondack park, average hunting day was 7 to 10 miles. That chunk of woods is 99.99% forested, moving around quietly in forest that thick is extremely difficult. Myself and other companions tried hunting with packs but always went back to the lumbar pack due to always hitting the never ending limbs and downed trees, the older you get the worse it gets because you can’t bend over that far.

Everyone in the group carried a burlap bag tied to their lumbar pack. When deer was down we would meetup, bone out the deer then divde the meat between everyones burlap bag. Just tie a knot in the bag, throw it over your shoulder like Santa and start humping the meat out. That far north some of the deer would dress out at 200 pounds so the more people you had the better.

Not sure what’s out there today but back then all the lumbar packs sucked. My idea of the perfect big woods lumbar pack would have the ability to attach a durable bag for meat at the top of the shoulder straps and down lower by the lumbar bag. This bag would be stowed in the main bag until needed so limb clearance issues are avoided.

The way we hunted this kind of lumbar pack would have been ideal, then again not many people hunted the way we did out there so not not sure how big the market would be for this type of pack.

sounds like you had a blast!

OP
G_Tacoma

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
Id like them to do a run again. I'd buy one straight up, great for short day outings etc. I have an outdoorsman one which I like. But I know a Kifaru would be next level up.

They should do an expression of interest run on one of their models, people place orders when they reach X number they need for it to be worthwhile do the run, charge the credit cards

Keep it simple, offer choice of two colors or whatever. I mean they'd have the patterns etc. there, not as though they have to design it from scratch.

Which model was the larger one ?was that the best of them ?

Agreed, just do a small run and only offer like one color. I’d buy one in a heartbeat

Reactions: pc3

pc3

WKR
A mix between the tail gunner and hellcat would be perfect

I reckon the best we can hope for except for "dying in our sleep" ;) (RIP KR) is that they just do a run of a previous model.....I wonder if between us all we could agree on which model and then perhaps organize a Rokslide Group Buy with Kifaru, or approach them at least. I had asked individually a few months ago and it was unlikley.....but get 25 or 50 orders they might do a run.

I'd probably like the larger one, which ever model that was, the one that had the aluminum stays in it.

OP
G_Tacoma

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
I reckon the best we can hope for except for "dying in our sleep" ;) (RIP KR) is that they just do a run of a previous model.....I wonder if between us all we could agree on which model and then perhaps organize a Rokslide Group Buy with Kifaru, or approach them at least. I had asked individually a few months ago and it was unlikley.....but get 25 or 50 orders they might do a run.

I'd probably like the larger one, which ever model that was, the one that had the aluminum stays in it.
Yeah I emailed Dayna at Kifaru and she said that they didn’t have anything in sight but that they’re always designing and she’d let the guys know.

I’d be down for a run of the tail gunner or hellcat, either one would be great

pc3

WKR
Yeah I emailed Dayna at Kifaru and she said that they didn’t have anything in sight but that they’re always designing and she’d let the guys know.

I’d be down for a run of the tail gunner or hellcat, either one would be great

Which was the better bag out of the hell cat vs tailgunner ? The images of the hellcat look good

OP
G_Tacoma

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
I think the tailgunner was more popular because of the modularity of it, but I’m a fan of the Hellcat. If I had to choose i‘d like a hellcat

I got a scout this year after watching my friend use one for the past few years. I put my duplex belt on it and it is about perfect for me. I am not going back to a regular backpack for a daypack.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
I passed on the Hellcat due to “play money” availability at the time but I had I known it was going to be so short lived I would have bought two. Would love to see another run or an offspring of the Hellcat and TG2.

OP
G_Tacoma

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
I got a scout this year after watching my friend use one for the past few years. I put my duplex belt on it and it is about perfect for me. I am not going back to a regular backpack for a daypack.

I forgot about the scout... I agree lumbar packs are just so much more comfortable especially for a day pack

OP
G_Tacoma

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
I passed on the Hellcat due to “play money” availability at the time but I had I known it was going to be so short lived I would have bought two. Would love to see another run or an offspring of the Hellcat and TG2.

I passed on the hellcat as well at the time, it definitely was short lived... I feel stupid now that I didn’t snatch one up