Kifaru Ma Deuce review ***Updated 9/26/21***

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be reviewing the Kifaru Ma Duece this year for Rokslide. I'll try to post some of my thoughts and take questions here throughout the process.

**Full Review** Kifaru Ma Deuce Review

My initial impressions are it's a very clean design with virtually unlimited flexibility. It is heavier than other similar-sized pack bags by Kifaru. The weight doesn't bother me because I quit being a weight weenie years ago and within reason just carry whatever it ends up being. Also, some of the extra weight comes from the lid being built on. The bag is basically the exact same layout as our jump bags on the ambulance so I really like that familiarity. At first, it slightly bothered me that the bag doesn't cinch down very tight empty, but it's a very large bag, and for how I actually use it the bag is never completely empty so it doesn't matter. The lid design is fantastic. I like the mesh organizer pockets on the inside but I'm still playing around with how I will pack, so I'm not sure how useful these are for me yet.

I am currently running 2 large belt pouches on the back for quick access/day pack stuff, that may change. I also picked up 4 compression straps and for training have only used 1.

Here's the pack on a training hike with 70 lbs in it:

ede45f645f181ed99dc254da80718f7f.jpg

ff1236f33eec76c6488ead051b03d53d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Looking forward to your review. Really interested in the Deuce. I hunt with a large handgun and like the large side pockets as a possible place to carry it while hiking in. Thanks for doing this. -Rufus

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking forward to your review. Really interested in the Deuce. I hunt with a large handgun and like the large side pockets as a possible place to carry it while hiking in. Thanks for doing this. -Rufus
You actually hunt with one or as a sidearm?

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt with handguns. Also with rifles and sometimes archery. Favorite is with handguns. The ones that I am referring to about putting in the side pocket are Thompson Center either Contender or Encore. They are single shot break action handguns with 14 to 15 inch barrels. Also have scopes on them, so are quite large. Have tried a couple of different ways to carry them, just haven’t found the perfect way yet. Thanks. -Rufus

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunt with handguns. Also with rifles and sometimes archery. Favorite is with handguns. The ones that I am referring to about putting in the side pocket are Thompson Center either Contender or Encore. They are single shot break action handguns with 14 to 15 inch barrels. Also have scopes on them, so are quite large. Have tried a couple of different ways to carry them, just haven’t found the perfect way yet. Thanks. -Rufus
I will look around here locally and see if I can find somewhere that carries them and see if I can get you some pictures of how it fits. You mentioned side pocket, is the anything else you want to see?

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey William. Thanks for that. My Thompson Center Contender is about 18.5 inches long and about 8.5 inches tall and about 2 inches thick at the scope turret. This one has a 14 inch 30-30 barrel on it. Thanks-Rufus.

Attachments

• D9560585-9946-43C3-8660-8604E23264D4.jpeg
    D9560585-9946-43C3-8660-8604E23264D4.jpeg
    641 KB · Views: 107
OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Morning Rufus and Will,

The MaDeuce side pocket's base is 21"T x 10"W and the pocket runs about 2.5" deep if that gives you an idea on size. Let me know if you guys need any other dimensions.
Thanks Bender

Thanks for sharing. I really like this pack as well, especially the design features and capacity. I used my compression straps vertically to flatten out for day hunts, def helped with the bulk. I did get it fully loaded this past year a few times and I just wasn’t the biggest fan of the dimensions and how it carried weight and maneuvered. The width and depth was a bit much. Only improvement Id want to see, and maybe it’s just me being selfish, but would like it to be taller, at least a couple inches less in depth and slightly less in width with same overall capacity. I’m a pretty tall guy and felt turtle shelled out there. I’m interested on your take on this, it looks like it fits you better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlaw99

WKR
I’ve used it on short hunts and like it just fine for that purpose as well. There’s something to be said about having a kill down, sticking your extra base layers in the bottom of the back, cinching them up, quarrying out a whole deer and sticking it in the bag and walking out. No time rearranging or finding places outside the pack to attach things. Cinched down in day mode, I don’t notice it being any bigger or unwieldy than any other pack. It’s a bunch of material essentially cinched down to your frame. All in all, really like the “do all” / one and done capabilities of the Ma Deuce

zacattack

WKR
I'll be reviewing the Kifaru Ma Duece this year for Rokslide. I'll try to post some of my thoughts and take questions here throughout the process.

My initial impressions are it's very clean design with vitually unlimited flexibility. It is heavier than other similar sized pack bags by Kifaru. The weight doesn't bother me because I quit being a weight weenie years ago and within reason just carry whatever it ends up being. Also some of the extra weight comes from the lid being built on. The bag is basically the exact same layout as our jump bags on the ambulance so I really like that familiarity. At first it slightly bothered me that the bag doesn't cinch down very tight empty, but its a very large bag and for how I actually use it the bag is never completely empty so it doesn't matter. The lid design is fantastic. I like the mesh organizer pockets on the inside but I'm still playing around with how I will pack, so I'm not sure how useful these are for me yet.

I am currently running 2 large belt pouches on the back for quick access/day pack stuff, that may change. I also picked up 4 compression straps and for training have only used 1.

Here's the pack on a training hike with 70 lbs in it:
ede45f645f181ed99dc254da80718f7f.jpg
ff1236f33eec76c6488ead051b03d53d.jpg

How are you keeping your training weight from sagging? Mine always slips down into the bottom. I try to keep it up higher in the pack

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
How are you keeping your training weight from sagging? Mine always slips down into the bottom. I try to keep it up higher in the pack
I use a 50 or 60 lb bag of mortar wrapped in a black contractors bag. I use a compression strap cinched tight on the outside of the bag 1/3 of the way up to prevent it from being able to drop, then load the weight and strap it down from the outside.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey William.
Any updates on the Deuce?
Thanks, Rufus
Just been training with it so far. Hopefully I'll get out turkey hunting with it next week and bear next month. So far there's not too much I dont like about it. Anything specific you want to know?

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey William. Nothing specific, just interested in this pack. Good luck hunting! Thanks. -Rufus

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got it out turkey hunting today. Swallows 4 decoys and everything else with a ridiculous amount of room left over.