Kifaru Ma Deuce review ***Updated 9/26/21***

dr.fred

FNG
I also appreciate the review. You brought up a few things I was wondering about. thanks!

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys sorry I've been neglecting this thread, I've been unusually busy with work and preparation for the quickly approaching season. I will get a video or two up this next week. In the meantime I can say that there's very little I'm displeased with about this pack.

I would like to hear from some of yall that have this pack on how you are loading yours. I'm still fine tuning my load and probably will while I'm hunting as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is a video I threw together on my initial impressions of the pack and my elk hunting load. Sorry I'm a bit late on this video, it took all night to upload with my slow internet.

Last edited:
OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's 4 and fits well. My 8 year old fits too.

c6a5a1438b90e38088cf09722a24236b.jpg

72c6ebc2d32252cf759da3f987d743ca.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Love mine too. I was sick of packs with buckle down lids that make accessing bag a strappy adventure. Adding a small or medium belt pouch to lower back of pack makes a great rifle carrier and you dont have to unstrap rifle to access the bag. Plus its huge without adding pockets.

HoboAaron

FNG
Hey guys, I haven't hunted with my Ma Duece yet, but I've taken it hiking about 700 miles this year. It'll handle tremendous loads. I actually have an E&E attached to the lower back and a claymire above that. It feels comfortable up to about the 120lb mark.

I use the e&e for a detachable daypack and i can even strap a Helinox cot max on the bottom and still have additional space to strap stuff down to the outside.

It's a beast for sure.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s awesome!
Ya I was surprised how well it works. In the past I've been able to make kifaru packs work in a pinch as a kid carrier, but I wouldn't say they were good option for either of us. The Ma Duece works well enough that I would factor that ability in choosing the pack over another.

Shea

FNG
Ya I was surprised how well it works. In the past I've been able to make kifaru packs work in a pinch as a kid carrier, but I wouldn't say they were good option for either of us. The Ma Duece works well enough that I would factor that ability in choosing the pack over another.

Thanks for sharing. Makes sense to call it the “ma” deuce now!

HoboAaron

FNG
I did see that sale on the duece earlier this week. Thats really by far the best sale I've ever seen Kifaru run on a bag of any kind, except during their garage sale

Kscrawfo

FNG
I'll be reviewing the Kifaru Ma Duece this year for Rokslide. I'll try to post some of my thoughts and take questions here throughout the process.

My initial impressions are it's very clean design with vitually unlimited flexibility. It is heavier than other similar sized pack bags by Kifaru. The weight doesn't bother me because I quit being a weight weenie years ago and within reason just carry whatever it ends up being. Also some of the extra weight comes from the lid being built on. The bag is basically the exact same layout as our jump bags on the ambulance so I really like that familiarity. At first it slightly bothered me that the bag doesn't cinch down very tight empty, but its a very large bag and for how I actually use it the bag is never completely empty so it doesn't matter. The lid design is fantastic. I like the mesh organizer pockets on the inside but I'm still playing around with how I will pack, so I'm not sure how useful these are for me yet.

I am currently running 2 large belt pouches on the back for quick access/day pack stuff, that may change. I also picked up 4 compression straps and for training have only used 1.

Here's the pack on a training hike with 70 lbs in it:
ede45f645f181ed99dc254da80718f7f.jpg
ff1236f33eec76c6488ead051b03d53d.jpg

Looking forward to review. Have a shape charge and been debating getting into a big kifaru

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking forward to review. Have a shape charge and been debating getting into a big kifaru
Jumping from the shape charge to the Ma Deuce is a good choice imo. A lot of similarities in the design, but the Ma Deuce has nearly 4x the capacity if you need it. I like the biggest pack I can get, but if you don't quite need that much capacity then the 44 mag would do well for you too. To put it in perspective, I can easily carry a completely boned out whitetail or a load of boned out elk and my complete camp in one very heavy load if I'm feeling particularly masochistic.

pc3

WKR
I currently have a 44 mag, but just added the Ma Deuce....given it was on sale (that's how I got the .44 mag, when they ran a sale on that). If I get to fulfill some of my hunting aspirations over the next decade i'll want a little more room than the 44 mag has....for me its a "big" day pack/couple of nights kind of deal.

I probably would have sprung for Fulcrum as the bigger pack but the sale price makes the ma Deuce a bit of a no brainer ,and the layout of the .44 and ma Deuce is pretty good really. To be honest as a larger pack either/or will do the same thing maybe the Ma Deuce is a taller rather than wider, like the Fulcrum ?

Anyway that is my larger pack won and done, the 44 for general and if I need more room i'll swap the 44 over to the ma Deuce.

I just know that if I didnt get it 12-24 months down the track I'll be saying gee I should have grabbed a ma Deuce on sale a couple of years ago. At $257.00 USD I thought it was great buying.

I'll use it on the one frame I already have the Tac 26".....although now I'd love to add a "lite" frame for the 44 🤪

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I currently have a 44 mag, but just added the Ma Deuce....given it was on sale (that's how I got the .44 mag, when they ran a sale on that). If I get to fulfill some of my hunting aspirations over the next decade i'll want a little more room than the 44 mag has....for me its a "big" day pack/couple of nights kind of deal.

I probably would have sprung for Fulcrum as the bigger pack but the sale price makes the ma Deuce a bit of a no brainer ,and the layout of the .44 and ma Deuce is pretty good really. To be honest as a larger pack either/or will do the same thing maybe the Ma Deuce is a taller rather than wider, like the Fulcrum ?

Anyway that is my larger pack won and done, the 44 for general and if I need more room i'll swap the 44 over to the ma Deuce.

I just know that if I didnt get it 12-24 months down the track I'll be saying gee I should have grabbed a ma Deuce on sale a couple of years ago. At $257.00 USD I thought it was great buying.

I'll use it on the one frame I already have the Tac 26".....although now I'd love to add a "lite" frame for the 44
I loved my tactical frame until I got the duplex light. The duplex light is well worth the buy imo. It's quite a bit more comfrotable and the weight savings sure doesn't hurt.

I've had both the Fulcrum and Ma Deuce, both are great packs but for me the Ma Deuce wins out. You're money ahead for sure jumping on that sale.

Reactions: pc3