Kifaru Ma Deuce review ***Updated 9/26/21***

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good review. I really liked the bag just too big for me most of the time. I do wish they would make a guide lid like the lid on the ma deuce.
The big expedition bags certainly are not for everyone, but the 44 mag and 22 mag fill the need for those who prefer smaller bags. It is a really nice lid setup.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Great review. I got to see this bag in action with William on an elk hunt. Quite possibly may be changing out of my Duplex Timberline to this bag. The layout is great and the size is phenomenal.
Are you saying it’s better than your Duplex Timberline? Gotta give some details. The DT1 has been my gold standard for years now. Hard to imagine the Ma Deuce besting it.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you saying it’s better than your Duplex Timberline? Gotta give some details. The DT1 has been my gold standard for years now. Hard to imagine the Ma Deuce besting it.
I can't vouch for him, but I've had a DT1 as well and prefer the Ma Deuce. It really just amounts to preference. I like other options instead of stictly top loader, so the zippered front panel works well for me. I'm pretty sure the side zippered pockets on the Ma Deuce are bigger and again I like having more options than simply top loader on those. I like the sewn on lid and how it's designed. Don't get me wrong, the DT1 is a great bag and will always have it's faithful following, but for me the Ma Deuce works better.

Well, that's a hard question to answer. Better is a relative term and determined by the preference of the end user. I will describe some of the reasons that I think it warrants a second look for me. Also, I have no virtually no time in this pack at all, so my taste could go away with real world use.

1: As William already stated it has the functionality of an EMS/Fire bag. So, there was some odd familiarity to the set up that I liked (although that's a poor reason to buy a new bag, or is it??)

2: I like that the lid is built in, I much prefer an all in one package and I like a lid that is already included.

3: The bag doesn't look overly "hunty" or "tactical" meaning that I would feel quite fine taking this on a family vacation to Hawaii (I like gear that serves multiple roles)

4: While I have only owned the EXO 5500 and then the DT I really like a bag that does not top load. I despise stuffing my gear into the bottom of a pack and then needing to get something and having to empty it, I know top loaders have their place but I like being able to "section" off gear and readily get to it. I use a fair amount of stuff sacks, the design of the Ma Deuce allows one to lay the bag out, zip it open and access gear.

5: The side pockets are considerably larger and I find a lot of utility in having side pockets, they also zip open long ways which I find more functional than a top loading side pocket.

6: This is really odd, but my favorite part of the bag are the strategically placed grab handles. I detest having to find a suitable place to life my bag without feeling like I'm putting stress on it when it's heavy. the grab handles are a very nice addition.

7: The built in meat shelf

8: The PALS on the front gives more modularity than the DT which has the "built in" pockets.

All in all I think it is a great bag with more modularity and functionality than the DT. But, I am also a creature of habit, so it is yet to be seen whether or not I will upgrade.

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be reviewing the Kifaru Ma Duece this year for Rokslide. I'll try to post some of my thoughts and take questions here throughout the process.

**Full Review** Kifaru Ma Deuce Review

My initial impressions are it's a very clean design with virtually unlimited flexibility. It is heavier than other similar-sized pack bags by Kifaru. The weight doesn't bother me because I quit being a weight weenie years ago and within reason just carry whatever it ends up being. Also, some of the extra weight comes from the lid being built on. The bag is basically the exact same layout as our jump bags on the ambulance so I really like that familiarity. At first, it slightly bothered me that the bag doesn't cinch down very tight empty, but it's a very large bag, and for how I actually use it the bag is never completely empty so it doesn't matter. The lid design is fantastic. I like the mesh organizer pockets on the inside but I'm still playing around with how I will pack, so I'm not sure how useful these are for me yet.

I am currently running 2 large belt pouches on the back for quick access/day pack stuff, that may change. I also picked up 4 compression straps and for training have only used 1.

Here's the pack on a training hike with 70 lbs in it:

ede45f645f181ed99dc254da80718f7f.jpg

ff1236f33eec76c6488ead051b03d53d.jpg

I'll be reviewing the Kifaru Ma Duece this year for Rokslide. I'll try to post some of my thoughts and take questions here throughout the process.

**Full Review** Kifaru Ma Deuce Review

My initial impressions are it's a very clean design with virtually unlimited flexibility. It is heavier than other similar-sized pack bags by Kifaru. The weight doesn't bother me because I quit being a weight weenie years ago and within reason just carry whatever it ends up being. Also, some of the extra weight comes from the lid being built on. The bag is basically the exact same layout as our jump bags on the ambulance so I really like that familiarity. At first, it slightly bothered me that the bag doesn't cinch down very tight empty, but it's a very large bag, and for how I actually use it the bag is never completely empty so it doesn't matter. The lid design is fantastic. I like the mesh organizer pockets on the inside but I'm still playing around with how I will pack, so I'm not sure how useful these are for me yet.

I am currently running 2 large belt pouches on the back for quick access/day pack stuff, that may change. I also picked up 4 compression straps and for training have only used 1.

Here's the pack on a training hike with 70 lbs in it:

ede45f645f181ed99dc254da80718f7f.jpg

ff1236f33eec76c6488ead051b03d53d.jpg

Great review. Thx for the update

cwb1975

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the ma duece about a month ago when it was on sale. I'm I'm illinois and plan on using it for deer and turkey. Probably much bigger than I'll ever need but tightens up nicely. Can't wait to use it this year and for many years to come

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that's a hard question to answer. Better is a relative term and determined by the preference of the end user. I will describe some of the reasons that I think it warrants a second look for me. Also, I have no virtually no time in this pack at all, so my taste could go away with real world use.

1: As William already stated it has the functionality of an EMS/Fire bag. So, there was some odd familiarity to the set up that I liked (although that's a poor reason to buy a new bag, or is it??)

2: I like that the lid is built in, I much prefer an all in one package and I like a lid that is already included.

3: The bag doesn't look overly "hunty" or "tactical" meaning that I would feel quite fine taking this on a family vacation to Hawaii (I like gear that serves multiple roles)

4: While I have only owned the EXO 5500 and then the DT I really like a bag that does not top load. I despise stuffing my gear into the bottom of a pack and then needing to get something and having to empty it, I know top loaders have their place but I like being able to "section" off gear and readily get to it. I use a fair amount of stuff sacks, the design of the Ma Deuce allows one to lay the bag out, zip it open and access gear.

5: The side pockets are considerably larger and I find a lot of utility in having side pockets, they also zip open long ways which I find more functional than a top loading side pocket.

6: This is really odd, but my favorite part of the bag are the strategically placed grab handles. I detest having to find a suitable place to life my bag without feeling like I'm putting stress on it when it's heavy. the grab handles are a very nice addition.

7: The built in meat shelf

8: The PALS on the front gives more modularity than the DT which has the "built in" pockets.

All in all I think it is a great bag with more modularity and functionality than the DT. But, I am also a creature of habit, so it is yet to be seen whether or not I will upgrade.

That’s actually a pretty good little review right there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Duece way, way better than my DT2. Its the lid and organization along with the lack of strappiness that do it for me. Plus my DT2 was a little small for me. I like to carry my rifle strapped to the back of the pack. With the Duece i can open the lid without unstrapping anything. The dt2 took about 6 buckles to get in and then your gun was loose. Also prefer the zippered side pockets compared to the dumb unzippered design of the Timberlines.

pc3

WKR
Just received my Ma Deuce this week...I now have a 44 and the Deuce and 1x tac 26" frame really there would be no reason NOT to get the Deuce over the 44mag minimal weight difference big room advantage for when it is needed I think.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just received my Ma Deuce this week...I now have a 44 and the Deuce and 1x tac 26" frame really there would be no reason NOT to get the Deuce over the 44mag minimal weight difference big room advantage for when it is needed I think.
Yep that was my thought too. 44 mag is great but for my money the Deuce is the better buy.

Reactions: pc3

pc3

WKR
I've noticed on the Kifaru website they have changed the capacity of the Ma Deuce to 103L...it used to be 128-130 ?? I bought one of the ones on special I wonder what has occurred here ? It did have the second highest capacity to the Crater according to their website previously.

pc3

WKR
Now they have this below ...am I missing something ?? Did they have an error over at Kifaru where the patterns where cut a little smaller and that is why we are seeing such a long sale on the ma deuce as they have a variant that is a little smaller than original spec ? or did they originally over estimate capacity.

Volume: 6,300ci / 103.23 L total (4,960ci main bag, 420ci lid, 480ci in each side pocket)

It was upwards of 125l previously on their website......got interested as may add a couple of large x-pac pouches in the future and wanted to know what I actually had, I do know its larger than my 44 mag...swallows a few more sofa pillows than the 44 :)

This below on "all pack comparison".......see Litres in second column. Itd did strike me as a small 129l pack when I received it.

Ma Deuce (7,900 ci - 129 L) Bag Only - Diagonal Angle Photo

Ma Deuce
6340 total – 4960 main, 420 lid, 480 each pocket1293 lb 12 oz1.7 kg15.5″ / 39cm x 28″ / 71cm x 12″ / 30cmFollowing its smaller caliber siblings, the 22 and 44 Mag is the Ma Deuce. Just like it’s namesake, the Browning M2 .50 cal machine gun, it is big enough to get any job done. It has the same features as the 44 Mag but almost a 1/3rd more capacity.

Last edited: