Kifaru Ma Duece review/thoughts?

XMP

FNG
I just placed my order for the Ma Deuce. My plan is to run the .44 Mag for shorter trips and for less extreme weather and the Deuce for longer trips and colder weather, which requires bulkier gear. Hope my plan works out.

I'll probably test out piggybacking my E&E on it so I have something simple to detach for grab and go situations.

OP
Jake Larsen
yeah, I’m probably just going to run a Sherman on it and that’s it. Don’t see the need for a bunch of pockets in the outside
I've got the Sherman as well. Nice for a detach fishing/stalking pack as well

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Jake Larsen
How are you guys using the Sherman as a detachable pack?
Might be hard to describe without photos but I'll do my best haha. I'm switching out the top compression strap on the 44/Deuce so both sides has a female autolock buckle. Then on the top of the Sherman I out 2 detachable male buckles. The bottom of the Sherman has 2 K clips to attach to the Sherman specific tab loops on the bag. On the second set of tab loops on the bottom of the Sherman (Adjacent to the K clips), I put a detachable female buck on each side. If you want to use the Sherman as a standalone pack, unbuckle it from the top set of main bag compression straps, pull the K clips from the bottom, and attach a set of compression straps from the male buckle on the top of the bag, to the female buckle on the bottom of the bag. Now you have a basic shoulder strap on the Sherman in about 10 seconds.

Reactions: XMP

XMP

FNG
I think I follow. I'll have to give it a try. I've got a Sherman on my .44 Mag and wondered about using it as grab and go option.

OP
Jake Larsen
I think I follow. I'll have to give it a try. I've got a Sherman on my .44 Mag and wondered about using it as grab and go option.
If it's not working out let me know and I'll try to get some photos up

OP
Jake Larsen
I may try that. I haven’t thought about having it so easily removable
I also like this setup because it allows you to cross your top compression straps into an "x" which works perfect for tying a head to the top of the pack. I packed out 3 deer and an elk head like that this season and thought it was simple and worked awesome.

I just take a wrap around the base of the antler right above the skull with each strap, buckle them in and cinch them up. Super stable and really easy.

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Zac where can I find that one I looked on their website, couldn't seem to locate it is there a link or a episode name ? it sounds interesting. Thanks.
Yeah I never claimed to be smart but there is a huge gap (from episode 115-227) that is not on the website. But I'm probably just too dumb to find it. Anybody know how or where to track down the episode 208?

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
I’m starting my research for that “one pack”. So far I’ve only run military packs and a few backpacking focused internal frames. Looking at needs I fall square between 44 mag and Ma Deuce. Not sure if should go with a 44 mag with a bunch of added pockets or a more or less bare bones Ma Deuce.

zacattack

WKR
I like my deuce because it’s the size of a house and I don’t have to worry with a bunch of pockets hanging off of it. The only one I’ve got for it is a Sherman. It just seem cleaner and more streamlined for my tastes.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I figured my needs were between the 44 and duece also. Went with the duece for the same reasons zac gave above. Better to have extra room than not enough when there is only 4oz difference.

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I never claimed to be smart but there is a huge gap (from episode 115-227) that is not on the website. But I'm probably just too dumb to find it. Anybody know how or where to track down the episode 208?
7073EA78-8BAE-4119-A39B-44902DE9C642.jpeg
this is the Episode (October 15th, 2019) if you can’t sort by Episode Number.

pc3

WKR
I’m starting my research for that “one pack”. So far I’ve only run military packs and a few backpacking focused internal frames. Looking at needs I fall square between 44 mag and Ma Deuce. Not sure if should go with a 44 mag with a bunch of added pockets or a more or less bare bones Ma Deuce.

For extended hunts I reckon the Ma Deuce might be more versatile. The 44 even for a full day trip, by the time you load your spotter, tripod, rifle gear bit of food some clothes etc.

What I like about using the 44 in that "day" scenario is that you don't need to play tetrus just stuff it all in, a true day pack with that gear for varminting/digi scoping etc. you are I reckon.

For extended day's (when I finally get to do it) a fulcrum or Ma Deuce will be added to the collection, and these larger packs could be used for the day trips as well just cinch down a little. I rushed in and bought the 44 when on sale, to good a deal to pass up at the time I thought.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
My Ma Duece arrived last Thursday. I really like the roominess and the layout. Ive been wishing for a pack without all the vertical straps caused by having a lid. This seems to be the answer. The top will be accessible even when my rifle is strapped to the back. The only unbelievable confounding thing is the lack of a water bladder sleeve. Kifaru doesn't even make one that could be attached to the internal PALS webbing. I am not fond of the idea of having a 3 liter bladder in the side pocket. Bender are you listening?

oldhorse

WKR
My Ma Duece arrived last Thursday. I really like the roominess and the layout. Ive been wishing for a pack without all the vertical straps caused by having a lid. This seems to be the answer. The top will be accessible even when my rifle is strapped to the back. The only unbelievable confounding thing is the lack of a water bladder sleeve. Kifaru doesn't even make one that could be attached to the internal PALS webbing. I am not fond of the idea of having a 3 liter bladder in the side pocket. Bender are you listening?
Check out First Spears' website. They make a MOLLE compatible water reservoir holder in 2 and 3 liter versions. I have the 2 liter model mounted in my 44 mag. Works wel, IMO

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I ended up going with the Kuiu version for $20. Just a simple lightweight bladder holder. Hope I dont offend anyone here with that combo...

Benjblt

WKR
Maybe this has been discussed but how would you pack meat out with the MaDeuce? w/camp on your back as well? If on the load shelf and between the pack and frame, would you be compressing the entire bag contents to cinch down the meat? Does the bag seam roomy enough to carry say a quarter boned out elk meat and some of camp?