Kifaru Ma Deuce review ***Updated 9/26/21***

Nik

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a 44 mag to replace my own issued ruck. What kind of head range of motion does that frame give you with a helmet on? I’m 5’4 and debating between the 22” and 24” frames.

You will need a 24" frame for the 44 mag...they don't fit well on the 22" as the bag is longer than the frame. It works but it's not pretty.

I’ve been using the Ma Duece the last couple years and I love it. Super versatile, can pack in full camp or compress down for just a day hunt.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Well, that's a hard question to answer. Better is a relative term and determined by the preference of the end user. I will describe some of the reasons that I think it warrants a second look for me. Also, I have no virtually no time in this pack at all, so my taste could go away with real world use.

1: As William already stated it has the functionality of an EMS/Fire bag. So, there was some odd familiarity to the set up that I liked (although that's a poor reason to buy a new bag, or is it??)

2: I like that the lid is built in, I much prefer an all in one package and I like a lid that is already included.

3: The bag doesn't look overly "hunty" or "tactical" meaning that I would feel quite fine taking this on a family vacation to Hawaii (I like gear that serves multiple roles)

4: While I have only owned the EXO 5500 and then the DT I really like a bag that does not top load. I despise stuffing my gear into the bottom of a pack and then needing to get something and having to empty it, I know top loaders have their place but I like being able to "section" off gear and readily get to it. I use a fair amount of stuff sacks, the design of the Ma Deuce allows one to lay the bag out, zip it open and access gear.

5: The side pockets are considerably larger and I find a lot of utility in having side pockets, they also zip open long ways which I find more functional than a top loading side pocket.

6: This is really odd, but my favorite part of the bag are the strategically placed grab handles. I detest having to find a suitable place to life my bag without feeling like I'm putting stress on it when it's heavy. the grab handles are a very nice addition.

7: The built in meat shelf

8: The PALS on the front gives more modularity than the DT which has the "built in" pockets.

All in all I think it is a great bag with more modularity and functionality than the DT. But, I am also a creature of habit, so it is yet to be seen whether or not I will upgrade.
I’m looking at switching to the Ma Deuce from an Exo K3. I absolutely love the pack, but it slides down when it gets heavy. You still liking this pack a year later?

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Duece way, way better than my DT2. Its the lid and organization along with the lack of strappiness that do it for me. Plus my DT2 was a little small for me. I like to carry my rifle strapped to the back of the pack. With the Duece i can open the lid without unstrapping anything. The dt2 took about 6 buckles to get in and then your gun was loose. Also prefer the zippered side pockets compared to the dumb unzippered design of the Timberlines.
I’m definitely a fan of the organization it has built in. You liking the pack still?

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m looking at switching to the Ma Deuce from an Exo K3. I absolutely love the pack, but it slides down when it gets heavy. You still liking this pack a year later?
Update:
The Ma Deuce is still my all-time favorite bag, and I utilize it for almost all of my hunting needs. It's too much for an EDC bag, but beyond that it's my go-to. It's an overkill on turkey and small game for sure but I never seem to mind. This past September I had my 9-year-old with me elk hunting and it handled my gear and a good chunk of his gear too just fine, though I severely underestimated how much water the little turd would suck down a number of times but that's another thirsty story. My only real complaints are it's so big that I tend to carry too much and I wish the bag was a bit lighter, but I've got more weight to shave off my waistline than the bag weighs in total so that's a moot point.

I can not attest to how it functions on a 22" frame, as I've never used that frame. It works fine on a 24" frame, but I use the 26". I'm not military, so I don't use it with a helmet, so I can't give my experience with how much the larger frames impede range of motion while wearing one.

If anyone is in the Missouri area and wants to check the Ma Deuce out I be happy to meet up, possibly on my trips west as well though they are more time sensitive.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Amos1693

FNG
I currently run the ma duece also. Love how it compresses down. I use as a day pack only . But i love it