Kifaru Meat Shelf question

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
Im ordering my BT1 this week and I am curious as to how the meat shelf would work with the bikini frame. My first thought is the meat bag would press against your back when fully loaded making for a pretty uncomfortable pack out. Has anyone tried this config out yet? I know its not an ideal configuration to have your pack that far out, and if I loaded this way there wouldnt be much weight in the pack. Just looking for a "if it would work without being uncomfortable" answer. Thanks.

Ron

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It works pretty well actually.

I like the Gen 2 Hanging Meat Bag better for that purpose though.

OP
Ronster

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. I couldnt find any threads about using the extension with the bikini and I was a bit concerned that the meat bag would come in contact with your back.

What generation of meat bag are they on now? The only options I saw on their page was for a meat bag, quarter bag, and a hanging bag. My plan was to go with the regular meat bag.

lintond

WKR
It works pretty well actually.

I like the Gen 2 Hanging Meat Bag better for that purpose though.

BB with the meat bag can you hang it between the main bag and frame, or does it have to be in the bag? Great review of the Kifaru and Stone Glacier packs!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
You can hang it directly off the frame, and lash the pack around it if you want, but it does provide a barrier between the meat and your gear, even in the pack (which is the better way to use it, IMO).

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. I couldnt find any threads about using the extension with the bikini and I was a bit concerned that the meat bag would come in contact with your back.

What generation of meat bag are they on now? The only options I saw on their page was for a meat bag, quarter bag, and a hanging bag. My plan was to go with the regular meat bag.

The meat bag could sneak through the stays and contact your back. However, you could just throw it in the pack and not worry about it.

The Gen 2 is the newest, and I think they should be available soon.