Kifaru meat shelf

sivart

WKR
Prob dumb question, but why can't you just loosen the tensioner straps, and use those as the meat shelf? Just thinking it would save time from having to attach the meat shelf.

I hate switching mine to the shelf. It never seems worth it to me.
I just run more compression straps and either strap meat to the outside, or put it in the bag.

Attachments

• PXL_20211018_012740238.jpg
    PXL_20211018_012740238.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 97

Randle

WKR
I watched a video of Aron stuffing meat in the bag, looks like a pain in the ..
I like a shelf but I am not carrying camp and meat at the same time

OP
S

sivart

WKR
I agree, I'm not putting bloody meat in my main bag w/ gear. I carry the meat bet bag and frame. I'm just trying to figure out why use the shelf when the tension straps will do the same thing?

Randle

WKR
Your right the straps can work as support, but they can spread if loads is not kept tight.

Wrench

WKR
I put my meat in a game bag inside a huge sea to summit dry bag. That can go in my bag or get pinched. When I get to my destination I pull ut out of the dry bag and turn the dry bag inside out to dry if i can't rinse it.

I've put an entire boned out mule deer buck in a 22 mag using this method.

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to have these issues but I’ve yet to acquire some meat hahah

Good to know though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I put my meat in a game bag inside a huge sea to summit dry bag. That can go in my bag or get pinched. When I get to my destination I pull ut out of the dry bag and turn the dry bag inside out to dry if i can't rinse it.

I've put an entire boned out mule deer buck in a 22 mag using this method.
I do the same, just with a contractor bag. I use it as a ground cloth to keep my meat clean while butchering, then turn it inside out and throw the meat in the contractor bag, then put that in my pack.

I think a contractor bag, or kifaru meat bag will keep your shit in your bag clean.
Haven't had any issue using the outside for meat though. I always have extra compression straps in my Sherman pocket for keeping deboned meat in a good shape.

Haven't tried to carry elk quarters with camp too yet though. Just small stuff and camp.
I'd just make the extra trip back for gear or carry smaller load with camp first.

My buddy put a gutted bear in the meat shelf of his 22 mag a few years ago.
It was a pain in the ass to get the shelf going, but man watching that is why I bought a kifaru. Lol

OP
S

sivart

WKR
As hot as some of my pack outs have been, I would be nervous carrying the meat in a contractor or dry bag?

Rockin'A

FNG
Camp plus an entire mule deer. I only use the meat shelf if I have to. Most of the time the meat goes in a trash bag and in the main compartment, but wanting to make only one trip may require using the meat shelf, 73472930-FAE0-4002-99AA-24D20DD31F3B.jpeg

prm

WKR
With the Stryker you do just loosen straps, put meat on shelf, snug down and go. Couldn't be easier.

My meat goes in the bag . No need for a meat shelf. I remember the first time I cleaned the DT1 bag. I filled it with warm soapy water over night expecting the water to all be leaked out. It was still 3/4 full. These bags are not hard to clean……

I do the same, just with a contractor bag. I use it as a ground cloth to keep my meat clean while butchering, then turn it inside out and throw the meat in the contractor bag, then put that in my pack.
Same exact thing for me

big bag, meat in the bag, my Stryker xl, of course meat in the shelf (best daypack layout made IMO)

Jimbob

WKR
Backpacking hunting for goats and sheep and the meat goes in the bag with camp. I use a contractor bag to keep blood off my gear. Hunting in August and zero issues of any meat spoiling.

If I attached a smaller bag to my frame and was day hunting moose and needed to pack one out then I could see using the meat shelf idea. However, all of my hunting has been done with my large bag and I only have taken goats and sheep and they fit inside the bag.

Tradchef

WKR
I have used an OR dry sack to put my quarter bags in so I can haul it out in the main bag. I use a reckoning and have always preferred meat in the bag.