Kifaru Minikeg - longer torsos

strongarm

FNG
Experiences from others with longer torsos using Kifaru Minikeg?

I'm looking for insights from those with longer torsos who may have logged some miles with the Kifaru Minikeg. I have a 20-20.5” torso. I use two different bags on a Duplex Light frame (26") for heavy hauling and a Kifaru Kutthroat (26" internal frame) for backpacking. The Duplex suspension works well for me and the 26" platforms fit me well and provide me excellent lift.

I fully understand that the Minikeg frame size wouldn't provide someone with a torso like mine any lift. I simply like the size of the Minikeg, which has increased capacity for higher volume gear (bulky cold-weather gear and/or camera gear/optics) yet would remain airline carry-on compliant. The Kifaru line of EDC/daypacks are smaller bags that when filled with my full camera kit (esp. big telephoto lens and/or spotter) would leave little room for anything else...nor do they have the cushy Duplex suspension that I've become used to.

The 357 Mag layout is frankly better suited for a camera bag, but it's a little big for my overall needs and over the limits of may airline carry-on requirements. While that's not a deal-breaker, the Minikeg just seems more right-sized for my desire to have a higher volume day use pack, being a bit larger than the other EDC-type daypacks...and a bonus of the Duplex suspension.

For longer-torso frames, how have your experiences been with the Minikeg and higher-volume/higher weights? Too much shoulder weight? I'd appreciate hearing both the upsides and downsides that longer torso folks have experienced with the Minikeg in the field vs. on paper.

Last edited: