Kifaru mountain warrior questions.

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I'm looking at getting a mountain warrior. This will be my first larger pack and had a few questions. I was wondering if anyone could give me there input on how they like this pack compressed as a day pack? My intentions for this pack are to use it for everything from hiking and camping to scouting whitetails in the summer to western hunts both guided and un guided. Everything I have read leads me to believe I can't go wrong with this pack I was just wondering what you guys thought of running it as day pack. Also any pictures would be helpful. Thanks guys.

trkyslr

WKR
Ive used this pack the last two years with no issues. I run it as a day pack all the time and it compresses small enough for me.

gbrim21

FNG
I own the Mountain Warrior, it runs really slick as a day pack. The bottom of the bag compresses really tight, and with the compression strap tight I have my binos in the large outer pocket, spotter just inside the main panel zipper, plus I run a hip belt pouch on either hip and can run a guide lid if needed. Everything i need is quick/easy access, no straps to undo either. Only other bag I'd say runs as slick in daypack mode (IMO) is the AMR. Has 2 pockets instead of the 1 larger pocket like the MW if you prefer that. The reason I went with the MW is because of the panel loader though. You can also quickly access the mesh pocket on the inside of the pack in daypack mode.

The Reckoning looks interesting to me, but I like the idea of quick access to pockets without having to undo compression straps. Only negative I'd say for the MW in daypack mode is that the top buckle could tighten down a little tighter to the frame, there's a little play there even when fully cinched. It doesn't really let it flop around though, I never notice it while hiking around. Just aesthetics.

ljalberta

WKR
MW runs slick as a daypack. If you want to get rid of the top buckle slop, you can run the strap through the pack/frame grab handle up top and then back and it'll suck right up. I personally haven't bothered as it runs fine even with the little bit of play.

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely love my mountain warrior. Very pleased with the way it runs as a daypack. I run it with a small belt pouch on the left and a guide lid. I have not yet wished for more space. This bag will hold more than this skinny dude can carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I've had many Kifaru bags over the years, the MW is by far my favorite.

great as a day pack
great as multi day pack, will haul a lot of gear,,,

take the wings off the new fulcrum/nomad and be able to add them to the Mountain warrior when needed,,,and it would be perfect.

i like the panel loader much better than the center zip, love the MW big pocket

sveltri

WKR
You guys that use bigger bugle tubes, how are you carrying them on the Mtn. Warrior when hunting?

gramirau

FNG
I use a medium side pocket on one side and usually jam the bugle tube between the bag and the pocket, if that makes sense. If you just tie off the pocket at the 4 corner extremities with a bit of twine, there's a space in the middle that you can jam a bugle tube down between the pocket and bag, assuming your bag isn't full of stuff. It rides a bit high if theres too much stuff in the bag but I don't find it to be much of a problem. If i'm hunting with full camp on my back, usually bugle tube goes sideways under lid or something along those lines.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
MW is a great all around pack . Long or short trips , light or heavy loads. it can do it all.

kcm2

WKR
Patrick Smith, owner of Kifaru, runs a Mountain Warrior more than anything. I love mine, and have used a lot of Kifaru packs. Given that my 1998 Spike Camp is still good as new, I'm thinking I may never need to buy another one.

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
TJE, I have a Mountain Warrior for the exact same purposes as you describe. I also have the Tahr. I much prefer the smaller bag on the Tahr with the option to use the load shelf if you need more space. My sleep system (tent/pad/bag) goes into a 20L SeaToSummit Evac waterproof stuff sack and fits perfectly in the load shelf. Love the Tahr so much I sold the Mountain Warrior.

dotman

WKR
TJE, I have a Mountain Warrior for the exact same purposes as you describe. I also have the Tahr. I much prefer the smaller bag on the Tahr with the option to use the load shelf if you need more space. My sleep system (tent/pad/bag) goes into a 20L SeaToSummit Evac waterproof stuff sack and fits perfectly in the load shelf. Love the Tahr so much I sold the Mountain Warrior.

I don't get it, the meat shelf some may like but I'm not a big fan but not even considering that the Tahr only has access at the top and will leave you digging for items. The MW you can easily access and organize gear, just zip the panel back.

Is the meat shelf what really made you like the Tahr more?

ctsmith

Lil-Rokslider
Without going too deep, I pefer top loading, never used the MW panel, and the Tahr main bag is sized perfect for my taste. I do not run a lid and the MW collar system does not offer protection, in reality its designed to run with a lid. The Tahr collar is perfect in my opinion. I'd rather have a meat shelf to use on the very few occasions that I need it than constatly dealing with an oversided compressed pack. Also, I prefer two pouches on the back of Tahr to the one large built in pouch on the MW.

IMG_4806_zpsureq1ndd.jpg

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Without going too deep, I pefer top loading, never used the MW panel, and the Tahr main bag is sized perfect for my taste. I do not run a lid and the MW collar system does not offer protection, in reality its designed to run with a lid. The Tahr collar is perfect in my opinion. I'd rather have a meat shelf to use on the very few occasions that I need it than constatly dealing with an oversided compressed pack. Also, I prefer two pouches on the back of Tahr to the one large built in pouch on the MW.

IMG_4806_zpsureq1ndd.jpg

Makes sense if you didn't use the panel, that's what makes it shine but as a top loader only I would get a different bag as well.