Kifaru muskeg 2800 v woodsman

Getting ready for a new pack. I can travel pretty light. Current using a 65L / 4000 backpacking pack, I've got space to spare. I want a load shelf and although I like the look of the muskeg more, I'm concerned It might be a touch small. Woodsman is another option. I'd run some pockets (Sherman and medium) on the muskeg and think the layout is better.

Anyone used both?

amp713

WKR
I've used the 5k muskeg alot, the woodsman a fair amount, and had the 2800 for a tiny bit of time. I'd say the woodsman is the better option unless you are doing day hunts only. It really is a lot smaller and to keep minimum stitch holes on the bag there is not a ton of places to add pockets. The woodsman is already a little bigger, you can add 2 spotter pockets on the sides and another pocket on the snow collar allowing you to add a lot of space quickly if you need to.

If you are planning to run a lid and something like a Sherman pocket then the tab loops arent as big of a deciding factor.

The woodsman doesn't have any sleeves on the sides to hold tripod legs in or trekking poles like the muskeg. Woodsman you can pick up cheap and used all over. Muskeg is harder to find used and will run you more. The small side entrance zipper on the muskeg is a limiting factor and it's hard to get anything of size out of it. I prefer the bigger center zip myself.

OP
M
Many thanks Amp, it seems like the woodsman is a better choice. I would love a muskeg 3500/4000 if they made it. The lay out is great. Do you use the 5000 for day trips often?

I own the muskeg 5000 and use it for day scouting trips often it can compress down nicely to make it less bulky, I run two pouches one small and one medium on the back makes it great to store items needed often or quickly. I’m sure a smaller pack would be more suited to day trips but I’ve never felt that the 5k has made day trips more inconvenient at all.

amp713

WKR
Many thanks Amp, it seems like the woodsman is a better choice. I would love a muskeg 3500/4000 if they made it. The lay out is great. Do you use the 5000 for day trips often?

The 5k was my everything bag. I have since switched to a reckoning because of the center zip and built in spotter/tripod sleeves. Then I run an apollo for shorter trips. It seems to work a bit better overall for me but I'd run a 5k muskeg full time for anything without hesitation. Just add a lid or a bane and some pockets if the trip requires more space.

Mitten32

WKR
If you're considering the Muskeg series I would definitely agree with the sentiments above about the 5,000 cubic inch bag it compresses down very nicely and doesn't limit you in terms of width like the 2800 does. I have the woodsman as well and really love that pack too. My only complaint with the woodsman was no side pockets which I had added.

OP
M
Many thanks for the feedback. Dropped the hammer on a woodsman last night.