Kifaru muskeg 5000 question!!

Looking for a pack for my wife. Really like the muskeg option. Has all the things necessary as far as access, compression, and ability to store a rifle for her.

Here is the question.

I have the fulcrum and it works great for what I use it for. Looking for another pack for her for a 7-10 day hunt that will hold her gear she needs. Sleeping system, food, change of clothes, camp shoes, water, and a few other gear items.

I will have everything I need for myself including cook system and Walter filtration in mine.

Just want to know the 5000 will be well suited so we don’t end up with 2 7000 cubic inch bags if it’s not needed.

Also, do the measurements on the bag include the snow color height?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
Not sure on the measurement part but I can easily do 5 days with the Muskeg 5000 and the collar extended...and that is without a guide lid.

I do have a large and two medium side pockets though.

That is about the max I can do carrying food but I came to the realization that if I don't get anything in 5 days its time to move anyway.

If she isn't carrying food she should be able to do 7 days easy.

OP
ddavis_1313
Not sure on the measurement part but I can easily do 5 days with the Muskeg 5000 and the collar extended...and that is without a guide lid.

I do have a large and two medium side pockets though.

That is about the max I can do carrying food but I came to the realization that if I don't get anything in 5 days its time to move anyway.

If she isn't carrying food she should be able to do 7 days easy.

Does 5 days include your tent/shelter and cook system? She won’t have any of that in her pack. I’ll have all of that in mine. If anything, I may have to toss some food in hers. And I’d get the guid lid and pouches for her as well.

gelton

WKR
Does 5 days include your tent/shelter and cook system? She won’t have any of that in her pack. I’ll have all of that in mine. If anything, I may have to toss some food in hers. And I’d get the guid lid and pouches for her as well.

Yes but I normally run the shelter on the bottom outside of the pack using the bottom straps.

There are a few factors..
There clothing is usually much smaller so that helps.
A down sleeping bag takes up much less space then synthetic. .

My wife can do 3-5 days out if a 22 mag with guide lid. With a down bag, pad, clothing water filter, game bags jetboil etc.
I carry the shelter. She mite have some trouble if it was later and needed more clothing.

Id say a muskeg 5 would work fine. A guide lid is around an additional 1k

I believe the 5k is with the collar up.

If you're not going to be carrying camp all day every day just strap a lightweight dry bag on to get in and out.

OP
ddavis_1313
There are a few factors..
There clothing is usually much smaller so that helps.
A down sleeping bag takes up much less space then synthetic. .

My wife can do 3-5 days out if a 22 mag with guide lid. With a down bag, pad, clothing water filter, game bags jetboil etc.
I carry the shelter. She mite have some trouble if it was later and needed more clothing.

Id say a muskeg 5 would work fine. A guide lid is around an additional 1k

I believe the 5k is with the collar up.

If you're not going to be carrying camp all day every day just strap a lightweight dry bag on to get in and out.

It’s a drop hunt so won’t be carrying camp every day. But I will add a guid lid and a large and medium pocket to the back.

It’s a drop hunt so won’t be carrying camp every day. But I will add a guid lid and a large and medium pocket to the back.

Personally I don't like adding pockets everywhere they cost money and add weight. Unless you just can't stand not having the organization.

After you get dropped id be leaving the lid in camp too.
Any weight you can drop will increase her enjoyment.

If you're getting taken in on horses for a drop camp just put half the stuff in a dry bag.
They most likely will want that to more evenly load the horses anyways.