Kifaru Muskeg Overkill

rammin79

FNG
Just curious, I am planning a 2nd season DIIY rifle hunt in Colorado this year. This will only be the 2nd time I have hunted in Colorado. The last time was back in 2016 with my dad and father-in-law and we done a lot of riding on the roads on a side by side looking for mule deer instead of much hiking. This time I am planning on doing more hiking and with that being the case, I am looking at the Kifaru Muskeg backpack. They are pretty expensive and I am assuming so because of it being "waterproof". The reason it gets my attention is, I also do some overnight kayak fishing trips with some hiking and am looking for something that may kind of be "dual purpose" for me to pack out my tent and supplies with. I am starting fresh and don't know a lot about these packs or other brands, but I would rather not spend as much as the Muskeg costs. So I am wondering is the Muskeg overkill or does this sound like something I should try to save up and get for my purposes?

PS..new to the group and am loving all the information here. Glad to be a part!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The muskeg is a cool bag, the xpack fabric might be waterproof but I doubt the bag is seam sealed and theres a large opening at the top which is also not waterproof. Its probably fine ina light downpour but its not a dry bag.

OP
rammin79

rammin79

FNG
OK thanks! thats good info, and that's what I am wondering, is it worth the extra expense or is it overkill for what I am looking to do with it. I also feel like I need a meat shelf to pack out whatever I would hope to kill.

JP100

WKR
Kifaru packs are all expensive, they are US made with high quality materials. thats why they cost.

The muskegs are not waterproof, they are water resistant. so they save you packing a rain cover.

They are certainly not a kayak trip dry bag.

Whether its worth it or not, thats upto you and your budget

Mitten32

WKR
The Muskeg is a great bag. More of a simple design and lighter weight than some of the other Kifaru options. I would agree with thinhornAK in regards to it not being a true dry bag, but it's great for me in spurts of rain/snow, and I personally have not had to worry about the contents of the bag getting wet.

Maybe take a peak at the Kutthroat too. It sounds like you sprinkle in some hunting with hiking/fishing trips as well. It's also the xpac material, but it is an internal frame pack that appears to have some meat hauling capabilities from others on here that have used it (I have no experience wit this particular pack). Just remember with muskeg you need an external frame as well which increases your cost of entry.

Kutthroat = $447
Duplex light frame + muskeg 5k =$736

Last edited:
Just curious, I am planning a 2nd season DIIY rifle hunt in Colorado this year. This will only be the 2nd time I have hunted in Colorado. The last time was back in 2016 with my dad and father-in-law and we done a lot of riding on the roads on a side by side looking for mule deer instead of much hiking. This time I am planning on doing more hiking and with that being the case, I am looking at the Kifaru Muskeg backpack. They are pretty expensive and I am assuming so because of it being "waterproof". The reason it gets my attention is, I also do some overnight kayak fishing trips with some hiking and am looking for something that may kind of be "dual purpose" for me to pack out my tent and supplies with. I am starting fresh and don't know a lot about these packs or other brands, but I would rather not spend as much as the Muskeg costs. So I am wondering is the Muskeg overkill or does this sound like something I should try to save up and get for my purposes?

PS..new to the group and am loving all the information here. Glad to be a part!
I’d checkout the Hoodlum 👍

OP
rammin79

rammin79

FNG
The Muskeg is a great bag. More of a simple design and lighter weight than some of the other Kifaru options. I would agree with thinhornAK in regards to it not being a true dry bag, but it's great for me in spurts of rain/snow, and I personally have not had to worry about the contents of the bag getting wet.

Maybe take a peak at the Kutthroat too. It sounds like you sprinkle in some hunting with hiking/fishing trips as well. It's also the xpac material, but it is an internal frame pack that appears to have some meat hauling capabilities from others on here that have used it (I have no experience wit this particular pack). Just remember with muskeg you need an external frame as well which increase your cost of entry.

Kutthroat = $447
Duplex light frame + muskeg 5k =$736

Yes that’s right I am looking for some type of all around pack, but definitely wanting meat packing capabilities. I will check out that Kutthroat. You don’t think and external frame bag is what I should go with and then possibly look at different bags for different scenarios and applications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaultman

WKR
Ok I will check that one out as well. Do I have to buy external frame with that one?

Yes. It requires a frame. I do not see it on their site now but they recently had a Hooligan that was similar to the Hoodlum. The main difference being the Hooligan did not need a frame.

However, neither of these are XPAC.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider

Check out this post. Its not very long so it shouldn't take long to get down to where Ryan talks about how he has hauled around some decently weighted loads with the kutthroat.

If I were you, I would think about how often I plan to use this pack to haul a heavy load. If it is only once every few years, I would probably go ahead and get the internal frame pack. But if I am planning to haul heavy loads a few times every year then I would go ahead and get an external frame pack. Keep an eye on the classifieds. I got my bag at a great deal on here then bought my frame from Kifaru. Saved a pretty good bit of money by getting a used (but great shape) bag.

OP
rammin79

rammin79

FNG
I am kind of leaning towards a Mystery Ranch bag now. Anybody have any experience with them? Particularly the Metcalf bag...

I have a metcalf and it’s great for me up to 60lb then it sucks. Typical day mode is awesome with 35lb. I’m going to a Kifaru or SG suspension setup.

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
I have a metcalf and it’s great for me up to 60lb then it sucks. Typical day mode is awesome with 35lb. I’m going to a Kifaru or SG suspension setup.

Agreed. Had the pop up series and it was the same shit. Cheap ass hardware too

OK thanks! thats good info, and that's what I am wondering, is it worth the extra expense or is it overkill for what I am looking to do with it. I also feel like I need a meat shelf to pack out whatever I would hope to kill.
Muskegs do have the meat shelf attached I believe

TowerT

FNG
Kifaru packs are all expensive, they are US-made with high-quality materials. that's why they're costly. Meanwhile, the muskegs are not waterproof, they are water resistant. so they save you packing a rain cover.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
The Muskeg is solid. I have the 5k version with a few other pockets. Right now the frame has a grab it and sherman holding down two bags of traeger pellets. It does a great job transferring the load to your hips. Well worth the price of admission. The whole package is worth the cost IMO.

A kutthroat with a lid would be a less expensive option and still probably get you where you need to go just pack out the meat in the bag. You could call Kifaru and they'd be able to answer some of those questions too. They've been nothing but friendly and helpful when I've gone in there to pick up stuff or when I was initially looking at bags. Got to take them all off the wall and play with them.

I am kind of leaning towards a Mystery Ranch bag now. Anybody have any experience with them? Particularly the Metcalf bag...
i had one for awhile.... i didn't keep it, i didn't care for how it carried weight over about 40-50lbs.... it was ok in hunting mode, but vastly different than my kifaru or exo

rootacres

WKR
Buy once, cry once.

Anymore good gear that works well isn't cheap, not just in the pack category. Id say go for it. If the Muskeg is the one you like then pick one up. Worst case you can sell the bag and pick up a different one that suits your needs slightly better. Kifaru has so many options you'll surely find one you like. IMO boots and packs are the two pieces of gear that will end an elk trip (backcountry) the quickest.

There are a ton of pack options, Kuiu, EXO, Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Mysteryranch, Outdoorsmans etc. They are all good regardless of what people say. Find one that fits you well and roll with it.

I don't have personal experience with Kifaru, many of my friends do and have good things to say about them. I have first hand experience with MR, Kuiu and SG. All three are great, I have kept my SG the longest and plan to keep running that pack [for what its worth].

Good Luck