Kifaru Muskeg Waterproofness?

Hi everyone, this year I bought a Seek Outside Peregrine partly due to the X-PAC material. During archery season this year I found myself in some rain storms and I was impressed with how well the pack did through the inclement weather. However, the pack itself just didn't fit my body type the best, I'm short and thin, so I'll probably end up selling the pack sometime soon. In an attempt to find my next pack I got really intrigued with the Kifaru Muskeg. I was wondering if anyone can attest to the "waterproofness" of this Kifaru bag? Would you recommend it? There are a couple good reviews on their site but I'm hoping you all can share further your experiences. Also, I'd appreciate any feedback if you have on how Kifaru packs fit short thin guys. Thank you in advance for all your thoughts and input!

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
As a short thin guy (5'7 125 on a heavy day) I went with the exo frame/3200 pack and have a 13litre dry bag in it.
They also have a separate dry section in the back of the bags thats pretty well covered with the lid on top as well. Movement is quick and easy in it.
Not the answer to your question but another option

JD619er

WKR
I'm surprised the seek doesn't fit you. I'm 5'10" 160 and have owned kifaru stone glacier kuiu exo and mystery ranch and found the seek belt with no lumbar pad fits me best. Have you tried adjusting what hole the bolts holding the belt in are set at? I moved them to the last hole and it totally changed the fit

OP
B
I'm surprised the seek doesn't fit you. I'm 5'10" 160 and have owned kifaru stone glacier kuiu exo and mystery ranch and found the seek belt with no lumbar pad fits me best. Have you tried adjusting what hole the bolts holding the belt in are set at? I moved them to the last hole and it totally changed the fit
Yeah I've tried doing that and It helped me too. It's possible that I may be searching for something that doesn't exist. Would you mind sharing your opinion between the SO and Kifaru?

JD619er

WKR
Kifaru packs are awesome my body seemed to like the older semi flat stay option or flat carbon stays probably because I'm skinny. It carried weight great and I really had no reason to try all the packs I did other than curiosity. Out of all of them I have stuck with seek outside because it carries heavy well for me and it rides the best and lowest in daypack mode. I have a short torso. I have a 34" inseam at 5'10" if that tells you anything. So all the other pack frames stick up high above my head, even kifaru 24" frames. So much so that I could hardly wear a hat backwards or walk under branches or brush with most frames.

JD619er

WKR
All that being said I had things I liked about every pack company. If I wasn't running seek it would probably be kifaru. I've had a bikini, hunting and ultralight frame. Late season and spike camp packs.

OP
B
Kifaru packs are awesome my body seemed to like the older semi flat stay option or flat carbon stays probably because I'm skinny. It carried weight great and I really had no reason to try all the packs I did other than curiosity. Out of all of them I have stuck with seek outside because it carries heavy well for me and it rides the best and lowest in daypack mode. I have a short torso. I have a 34" inseam at 5'10" if that tells you anything. So all the other pack frames stick up high above my head, even kifaru 24" frames. So much so that I could hardly wear a hat backwards or walk under branches or brush with most frames.
Awesome, thank you for sharing!

B-ski

FNG
I recently used my Muskeg 5000 on a 3 day excursion. It dumped rain every day. The contents of my pack stayed fairly dry. I was surprised. Had I run a lid, I think it would have been 100% dry on the inside. The other 3 guys used pack covers and my gear was way more dry than theirs.

I just came back from 2 weeks on Kodiak with a Muskeg 5000
FAIL!
My gear was soaked within an hour.

I wish I brought my SO Uniweep 4800 as it has PROVEN to be waterproof.

The Kifaru frame is more comfortable than the SO above 50 lbs.

My favorite setup so far is Kifaru Duplex frame with EXO K2 3500 bag.

Attachments

• 4CB206F0-92AF-4852-AD14-63ACC9A0ADE9.jpeg
    4CB206F0-92AF-4852-AD14-63ACC9A0ADE9.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 53C5A4EB-AB01-4FAB-8476-86F6AF0E0C2D.jpeg
    53C5A4EB-AB01-4FAB-8476-86F6AF0E0C2D.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 48
  • E475F017-C8CF-430A-B715-E4B6CC9F71A7.jpeg
    E475F017-C8CF-430A-B715-E4B6CC9F71A7.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 50

JP100

WKR
The Muskegs are water resistant, thats it,

The fabric may be waterproof, but the seams and design is not. they cannot be closed that well(roll top would be better).

If your trying to keep off a few showers/inclement weather, it will work fine.
If your trying to have a 100% water proof bag for a wet climate it will not keep the water out.

RBTX

FNG
I have had great results with my Muskeg 5000 when I was using it as a day pack in the rain. In 2018 we hunted thru a tropical depression and it rained all day for the first three days then some rain every day for the rest of the week. WE were able to pack in and out without any rain so I can not say how it would have performed packed with all of my gear in it.