Kifaru Native as Cargo Panel

North

FNG
I just picked up a Kifaru Cargo Panel and after messing around with it realized I could get the same basic functionality (on a smaller scale) with my Native and gain some enclosed storage space.

My thought is: base pack is Native attached with compression straps, Standard Guide Lid. Use as-is for day hunting, gear goes in Native and lid. Add dry bag under Native for overnights, drop bag at camp. Kill animal, strap meat to frame under Native.

Has anyone messed around with this setup? It looks like I could attach the bottom of the Native directly to the frame and be good to go, but I'm wondering if adding a Grab It with the Native above it would be a better route. I don't already own a Grab It so I can't compare the 2.

snowplow

WKR
That's pretty much exactly how my buddy runs an Apollo. Standard lid and no grab it. It's actually pretty killer.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
I have used the native attached to the frame and a lid for day hikes and scouting and it works pretty good.

fbhandler

WKR
Add dry bag under Native for overnights, drop bag at camp. Kill animal, strap meat to frame under Native.

I went the cargo panel route with the intention of running it the same way... What I found in my case was that the cargo panel (and I assume the Native) wouldn’t accommodate my camp dry bag and a load of meat at the same time very well. I needed a really big camp bag to put it all in, or I ran two bags side by side. The bigger camp bag worked better, but ended up being a really heavy set up. I never did try to run it under the frame, as I believe that weight, that low, would be exasperating. Just my experience.,,

ScottinPA

WKR
I've been contemplating the same idea. I have a DT! for longer trips and it compresses pretty well but thinking the native on the frame with the lid would be better option. That said, last night changed the QD connections on the DT1 to sliders and it's compressed further so I may not pursue this further.

Having the native would also give me a good daypack for treestand whitetails in PA, replacing my Camelbak Striker.

OP
North

North

FNG
I messed around with attaching the Native directly to the bottom of the frame with k clips and adding 2 compression straps on the top of the Native, one on each side. It works fine when there’s nothing inside the Native but when it’s filled with stuff it ends up being hard to get the stuff out of the bag. It would work ok if you really wanted to go light but it would probably make more sense to add a Grab It and run the Native above it like a cargo panel so the load isn’t “on top” of the Native as much as “underneath.” Of course, once you add the Grab It you’re approaching the weight of a Woodman or other medium pack but it’s another option.