Kifaru noise

ScottinPA

WKR
I've had my Kifaru Hunter Duplex frame since 2017. Ran a DT1 2018/2019 and now a Mtn Warrior. For some reason I'm getting an obnoxious squeak out of the frame/shoulder straps. Took a longish hike yesterday and was able to quiet it down some by really tightening the lifters and straps. Almost too much to be comfortable for long. Also I shortened the shoulder straps before leaving thinking that may play into it. Made some changes to how bag and lid are attached to see if that'll help. It seems that anytime I tweak the should straps it'll quiet down for a short time them come back.
I'll see if it helped today - short hike checking cameras. Any other ideas?

Jimss

WKR
Is it a new bag/frame that is squeaking? If you can narrow down where the noise is coming from you may try placing other material to prevent chaffing or possibly squirt a little water on the material and stretch the fabric? I once had straps on my Kifaru that were so stiff I couldn't get them to go through a loop. I wetted the strap down and it worked like magic!

matthewmt

WKR
Mine had saddle squeak so to say too. I wrapped some 100 mph tape around the shoulder harness where it made contact with the nylon strap on the frame seemed to help but never quite went away.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I bet if you sent it in they'd take care of it. Unless it's something you can live with and or dampen the sound yourself. I used to hear sounds with the DT1 and Bikini set up at times. But nothing loud enough to scare an elk off as I was drawing my bow and releasing an arrow at 0 - 40 yards thru or into an unsuspecting elk ;) 🏹 🏹🦌🦌

OP
ScottinPA

ScottinPA

WKR
Saddle squeak is a good description. Got caught up in a home project so hike postponed for a few hours.

Squeak is irritating but probably nothing that would spook an elk prior to an arrow zipping thru it plus it's only when walking, not drawing bow with pack on. It's enough to interfere with listening for elk noises though.

Saddle squeak is a good description. Got caught up in a home project so hike postponed for a few hours.

Squeak is irritating but probably nothing that would spook an elk prior to an arrow zipping thru it plus it's only when walking, not drawing bow with pack on. It's enough to interfere with listening for elk noises though.

Does the amount of weight in it affect the sound?

I know that it probably won't spook animals, but after a lot of miles those backpack squeaks get annoying as hell. I had a badlands that loved squeaking when it was under load and it drove me nuts.

The buckles can squeak like hell and sound like it's something else if they're not fully connected on my kifaru. I'm sure you've already checked that though.

OP
ScottinPA

ScottinPA

WKR
Mine had saddle squeak so to say too. I wrapped some 100 mph tape around the shoulder harness where it made contact with the nylon strap on the frame seemed to help but never quite went away.

Got rained out so I started tweaking on the pack and walking on dreadmill. Isolated the noise to be from the straps mentioned above. These are behind the back cushion and are part of the frame, 3/4" to 1" thin nylon straps that the shoulder straps run thru. Used some Lueko tape and put 2 strips on each strap at the outside portion of the shoulder strap. No noise now but we'll see how it goes on hikes this week.
Thanks for the ideas guys!

matthewmt

WKR
Hopefully that'll do it. Definitely gets a little annoying in the field.

Jimbob

WKR
I saw this post a few days and said to myself "mine is silent" then I went for a hike yesterday with 65 lbs and had a crazy squeak. Drove me nuts.

Took the strap off that was squeaking and found a maple seed squished between the strap and frame. It left sap in there and that's what caused the squeaky. Cleaned up and running smoothly now.

OP
ScottinPA

ScottinPA

WKR
086bbc4682eb1187ddfb69c12e27f14e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ScottinPA

ScottinPA

WKR
Did a long hike today with 45 lbs. Squeaked a little at start but I had to adjust shoulder straps. Once that was done, nary a squeak.