Kifaru Nomad 2 or Stryker

AD338

FNG
Hi all, this is my first post, but I've been reading and following for years. I recently decided that I needed a desperate upgrade for my hunting pack. I hoping for some input from the group.

I currently own a Horn Hunter Mainframe that is a great day pack, but not good for packing any meat. For heavy loads I've been using a metal Kelty meat hauling frame, that I can't get to ride nice or stay put without constantly trying to adjust. I've basically realized that by upgrading packs, I could have best of both worlds (day pack and heavy hauling capabilities) and also have a pack that isn't miserable to wear.

I've looked and drooled over SG, Exo, SO,and MR, but decided to do Kifaru (in all honesty, any of the above listed packs will be night and day difference to what I'm currently using). To me this is a huge expensive purchase and I've been saving and scrimping for over a year to make this purchase. I like the modular idea of Kifaru but I'm torn between the Nomad 2 and Stryker. I hunt Idaho and Wyoming and rarely do anything more than a 1-2 night excursion from where I park. I mostly want the pack for day hunts where coming out heavy with a boned out mule deer, elk quarters, and moose quarters (with gear) is possible and as comfortable as can be. Can anyone help give feedback or persuade me on which pack to choose.

I should also mention that I'm not against carrying meat inside of my pack, but it's definitely not my first or desired preference.

Thanks in advance!!

prm

WKR
I’ve had both. I prefer the Stryker. In fact, I wrote up exactly what I wanted after hunting with the Nomad 2, and what they produced in the Stryker is exactly what I wanted. Both are good, but I prefer the organization of my stuff while hunting during the day. I believe you need to add the Grab-It to the Nomad to make it as effective a meat hauler. But it works well. Edit: I also feel the Stryker snugs up better while maintaining easy access to main pocket(s) when not fully loaded.

OP
A

AD338

FNG
I’ve had both. I prefer the Stryker. In fact, I wrote up exactly what I wanted after hunting with the Nomad 2, and what they produced in the Stryker is exactly what I wanted. Both are good, but I prefer the organization of my stuff while hunting during the day. I believe you need to add the Grab-It to the Nomad to make it as effective a meat hauler. But it works well. Edit: I also feel the Stryker snugs up better while maintaining easy access to main pocket(s) when not fully loaded.
Thank you for that comparison! Did you need to order/attach additional straps to haul loads, or are the straps that are supplied, enough?

prm

WKR
I have two straps on the bottom for my sleeping bag, and two on the cargo shelf for whatever. I was thinking they could help secure meat or a head, but I didn’t end up packing out an elk so they went unused. Dont recall if those were all supplied.

oldhorse

WKR
I am the flip side of this coin. I prefer the Nomad 2. I love the batwing configuration. I tried the Stryker, and it is a great design. I just didn't like it as much as the Nomad. I don't use tree stands, but I think the Stryker design would be better for hauling them. Either one would serve you well in the scenarios you have presented. Good luck!

fatlander

WKR
Stryker or 22 mag. The nomad 2 I had was a strappy mess. It’s floppy with nothing between the wings, and you need a grab it to haul meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pezboat

WKR
I’ve owned both. I currently use the Styker. I was a huge fan of the Nomad, but my biggest complaint with it was when running it in “day mode (just the 2 flaps with nothing else),” I couldn’t fit a sweatshirt in one of the pockets. The two batwing pockets are great for gear, but if you shed a layer, it’s nearly impossible to stuff it in one of those pockets.

OP
A

AD338

FNG
I’ve owned both. I currently use the Styker. I was a huge fan of the Nomad, but my biggest complaint with it was when running it in “day mode (just the 2 flaps with nothing else),” I couldn’t fit a sweatshirt in one of the pockets. The two batwing pockets are great for gear, but if you shed a layer, it’s nearly impossible to stuff it in one of those pockets.
That was a huge concern of mine. In Idaho you seem to very often hit all 4 seasons in one day so having multiple layers is a must. Are you able to fit extra layers into your Stryker along with your hunting gear?.

I'm thinking I may need the guide lid or or another pack just for layers, on either pack I decide to buy, lol.

Pezboat

WKR
That was a huge concern of mine. In Idaho you seem to very often hit all 4 seasons in one day so having multiple layers is a must. Are you able to fit extra layers into your Stryker along with your hunting gear?.

I'm thinking I may need the guide lid or or another pack just for layers, on either pack I decide to buy, lol.
I believe both packs are roughly 1800 cu in. I can fit a mid layer, FL Woodbury jacket, hat, and FL Uncompaghre in the Stryker. I could never fit the jacket in the pocket of the Nomad. Same sized packs, just dividing capacity between 2 pockets really limits what you can fit in them. For added space, I use the Large Compression Pocket. It fits, but barely. I used the Sherman before, but it was just a hair small for my liking.

Pezboat

WKR
This is how I’ll be packing in tonight. I’ve got just under a mile walk. Uncompaghre and FL Woodbury in the bag. Tree saddle in the LCP. Sticks and platform sandwiched in between. F26B6A63-2733-4C2D-BB1A-165E1CE52A0B.jpegF6B9EBDF-D510-476F-90BD-851A3A1C8331.jpeg475F5671-96F0-4A89-9757-9BBA6A5149E2.jpeg

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Nomad 2. I put a Kifaru large compression pocket between the wings attached at the top of the frame (like a book as Aron puts it) to hold things that won’t fit in the wings. Seems to work ok.