Kifaru Nomad impressions?

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I’m considering purchasing a Kifaru Nomad pack to use as a general purpose hunting pack. I don’t do many overnight hunting trips, but I do a fair bit of walking/ hiking on my hunts. I’m looking for a pack solution to come in light and leave heavy, something that can effectively carry my rifle, extra layer of clothes, spotter and tripod, water, a few edible essentials, kill kit, and small survival kit on the way in, then pack out meat on the way out. I like the looks of the batwing type packs that fold up small and then open allowing a meat bag to be strapped in between. Those of you that have used the Nomad packs, how do you use them and do you like the way it works? Any Pictures would be awesome!
Thanks

oldhorse

WKR
I am a big fan of the Nomad design. I had the original Nomad, then upgraded when the Nomad 2 was released. I have packed meat and bone-in quarters with them. I really like the batwing design. I have also done multiple backpacking trips with camp bag, various dry bags and even a duffle bag between the wings. You can run it super light, with only one wing full and the empty one compressed under it. Some folks find the design too complicated, too "strappy". To each their own. Full disclosure; I do own several other packs, and use them for different applications. However, if I could only have one, it would be the Nomad 2. Just my opinion . Pick one up and give it a try. If you decide it's not for you, someone on this forum will eventually buy it from you!

TripleJ

WKR
I have the original Nomad on a bikini frame, I don't have much to compare it to, but from my experience, it will work perfectly for what you are describing. I have used it for mostly day trips, but also for overnight trips for 3-4 days. It’s easy to secure a large bag between the wings and increase your payload by a lot.
5143676A-8DF7-4B01-BEC6-A7187C7B6D1D.jpeg128058BD-846C-47A6-A684-3715400202FE.jpeg

Doghed

WKR
I switched from the T2 to the V1 Nomad and love it. Its topped off with a long hunter lid. I have a nice collection of pods and 'dock and locks' which allows me to set up how ever I need. I drop the sleep system pod and the kitchen pod at camp and can carry the nomad as a really compact daypack. I stash the grab-it in a pocket and I'm ready to haul meat if needed. Very versatile.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Nomad v1 when they first came out and used it as a day pack and to haul out elk quarter. You need something in addition to the Nomad to hold a heavy load such as a hanging meat bag or a grab-it. I used a home made hanging meat with my Nomad. Ultimately I decided to replace the Nomad with a day pack/homemade meat shelf combo. I prefer this over the Nomad. My day pack/meat shelf combo looks very similar to Kifaru's new Stryker pack. A Nomad/grab-it combo will certainly work but you might also want to look at the Stryker pack.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the Nomad 2 for a couple seasons. I run it with a guide lid, grab it, and dry bag. I love how versatile it is, there doesn't seem to be anything I can't securely strap to it and comfortably carry.

For backpack hunts I have camp and food in the dry bag and day hunt stuff in the wings and lid. Makes it easy to drop camp when needed and also keeps camp dry since it's in a dry bag.

I do feel it gets a little haywire sometimes with all the straps and add on's. My pack tends to look like a yard sale, especially when packing meat and camp, but it works!

I'm taking a hard look at the Stryker now too. It could fit my needs even better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Timnterra

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly that’s about what I was thinking I’d do for situations where I need to carry more than the pack can hold. I was planning on using a sea to summit roll top dry bag for other camp stuff so I could just drop it at camp and have my hunting pack ready to go.
I've used the Nomad 2 for a couple seasons. I run it with a guide lid, grab it, and dry bag. I love how versatile it is, there doesn't seem to be anything I can't securely strap to it and comfortably carry.

For backpack hunts I have camp and food in the dry bag and day hunt stuff in the wings and lid. Makes it easy to drop camp when needed and also keeps camp dry since it's in a dry bag.

I do feel it gets a little haywire sometimes with all the straps and add on's. My pack tends to look like a yard sale, especially when packing meat and camp, but it works!

I'm taking a hard look at the Stryker now too. It could fit my needs even better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I ran a Nomad 1 for one season and while I liked the concept, I found it to be a PIA and far less functional than the Crew Cab I had run previous years, especially when packing bone-in elk quarters. The fact that the wings were fixed to the bag is specifically the issue I had with it. It was very awkward/difficult to have the wings filled with gear and then strap a quarter between the wing which is what I expected to be able to do and had done with my Crew Cab. But I loved the frame, so I switched to a Reckoning bag and am absolutely pleased with the system.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
I ran the nomad 2 this season in a couple different configurations and found it be to a great day hunt and scouting bag. The addition of the guide lid really cleaned it up for me using it to secure the wings but still allowing easy access into them.
I keep a 55L dry bag and grabit or a sherman on the back panel...but that new camp bag with the daisy chain webbing on it might be the ticket to be able to hang it rather than cradle a bag, which is my 1 main complaint when you remove compression on the dry bag and it wants to tumble down the mountain.

Attachments

• 82E5A59D-A3E1-4385-A848-7F56726E91C0.jpeg
    82E5A59D-A3E1-4385-A848-7F56726E91C0.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 7F827D6C-6287-49A0-854D-32826657F68D.jpeg
    7F827D6C-6287-49A0-854D-32826657F68D.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 67
OP
Timnterra

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
That’s just the kind of feedback I’m looking for, I can see how bulky the think would become if you had the pockets filled and then slap a big bag or elk quarter in between.
I ran a Nomad 1 for one season and while I liked the concept, I found it to be a PIA and far less functional than the Crew Cab I had run previous years, especially when packing bone-in elk quarters. The fact that the wings were fixed to the bag is specifically the issue I had with it. It was very awkward/difficult to have the wings filled with gear and then strap a quarter between the wing which is what I expected to be able to do and had done with my Crew Cab. But I loved the frame, so I switched to a Reckoning bag and am absolutely pleased with the system.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
If i were to buy another batwing style pack id seriously look at getting a stryker and 2 of the large compression pockets to make a MR crew cab type layout. I also had a crew cab before the nomad and really liked that style layout but the MR frame did not work for me at all. I used to laugh at some of the complicated load shelf setups taking a bunch of straps and connections apart then trying to compress it all with gear in your bag, and with the crew cab it was just dropping it in there and off I went.

That’s just the kind of feedback I’m looking for, I can see how bulky the think would become if you had the pockets filled and then slap a big bag or elk quarter in between.

Gumbo

WKR

If you were able to adjust the wings via straps attached to the bag "sleeve", (i.e. cinch them down tight like they are or expand them away from the bag "sleeve" to accomodate a large, bulky item like a quarter) it would be a more versatile design, but maybe there is a problem with that concept because I'm sure someone considered it.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I am a little late, but does anyone have pictures of the Nomad with a dry bag in between the wings?