Kifaru; Number 1 Pack

No, this thread isn't what you thought it would be ;)

I'm guessing that the Reckoning is the #1 Kifaru pack at the moment. I've read way too many reviews to think otherwise. Despite my love for my DT1, my interest is peaked.

Could the Reckoning be the #1 pack of all times? What is it about this pack that has allured so many to "run" the Reckoning?

Decker9

WKR
The reckoning, simple, functional, and user friendly, it’s my top pick pack for anything other then extended solo sheep hunts.
I switched to the reckoning from the DT1.... then my gal claimed it. Back to the DT1 I go lol.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the full center zip is loved. The only thing about it is the open topped side pockets... I'd rather have the Fulcrums vertical zip side pockets sewn right onto the Reckoning. That plus another 1,000 ci and that'd be the pack I'd choose! But the Reckoning right now is pretty damn good.

LionHead

WKR
From my experience with the EMR2 I'll echo what others have said,the dual separating center zip makes getting in and out of the pack very quick and easy.

I agree with @Jordan Budd vertical zip, side pockets would make a hard to beat pack

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

From my experience with the EMR2 I'll echo what others have said,the dual separating center zip makes getting in and out of the pack very quick and easy.

I agree with @Jordan Budd vertical zip, side pockets would make a hard to beat pack

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
And let's be honest here, the EMR2 is the greatest pack of all time. :cool:

I think the full center zip is loved. The only thing about it is the open topped side pockets... I'd rather have the Fulcrums vertical zip side pockets sewn right onto the Reckoning. That plus another 1,000 ci and that'd be the pack I'd choose! But the Reckoning right now is pretty damn good.
I agree with you Jordan, those little additions would be great. Personally I want it done with the Cordura bottom, and the rest of the pack in a lighter material like they used for the KU series back in the day.

But I have had my Reckoning for 3-4 years now, and the open tops on the pockets haven't been an issue at all. It's just a great design.

Rock-o

WKR
But I have had my Reckoning for 3-4 years now, and the open tops on the pockets haven't been an issue at all. It's just a great design.
@Trumpkin The Dwarf, or anybody else, have there been situations where you'd like/need for the side pockets to close? I like the bag and I'm trying to get over that they don't.

Cavern is nice but it's out due to asymmetrical design. Don't like the Mountain Warrior. That gets me up to the Hoodlum. I like it. But getting on up there in size when, realistically, the Reckoning is almost certainly more than what I need. I think the [medium] Muskeg is also asymmetrical otherwise I like it.

@Trumpkin The Dwarf, or anybody else, have there been situations where you'd like/need for the side pockets to close? I like the bag and I'm trying to get over that they don't.

Cavern is nice but it's out due to asymmetrical design. Don't like the Mountain Warrior. That gets me up to the Hoodlum. I like it. But getting on up there in size when, realistically, the Reckoning is almost certainly more than what I need. I think the [medium] Muskeg is also asymmetrical otherwise I like it.

I have a friend who has the Reckoning and the side pockets not closing is a major issue. Going through brush, debris etc. stuff falls in there (not good with spotter). It is pretty big hang up and he's selling to get a Hoodlum for that reason.

I have the Hoodlum and am pumped on it.

Mitten32

WKR
Full zip and compression system on it are tough to beat. It also works incredibly well in daypack mode in my opinion.

I never run my spotter in the side pocket unless it's got lens caps and a case on it, so debris just hasn't been an issue. Honestly, I bust a lot of brush and debris in the pockets has never been a big issue. The top strap cinches the opening down decently.

slim9300

WKR
I prefer the size, weight and function of the Muskeg 7000, but I require a big main bag for long hunts with the ability to carry huge loads. My AMR is my second favorite but it’s too heavy and doesn’t carry a bow well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmman44

FNG

I just ordered a hoodlum partly for the side zip pockets. I'm in the desert in AZ, and hate getting the stickery plants and cactus and scorpions in my stuff, especially where I may blindly stick my hands. It's probably not that big of an issue for most but I like the zip feature.

Brendan

WKR
I'm with @Ryan Avery and @Gunnersdad49 - EMR2 is the best pack going...

I'd owned two previously, sold them to try other packs, so had to go out and buy one used this winter with them being discontinued.

Number 2 pack for me is currently the OG 22 Mag on a 22" frame, which is my other pack...

Decker9

WKR

Both my reckoning and my DT1, the side pockets collect twigs and spruce needles like crazy. I keep saying I’m going to have flaps sewn on with a button, would be a easy fix, and still could run the pocket open if a guy wanted.

loopmtz

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely my favorite bag.. Simplicity, and does everything I need it to... Also, the straps on top keep the pockets closed and never had anything get in...