Kifaru Pack Choice.

I had posted this on their forum but it is closing down. I know a lot of you guys run these packs so please give me any suggestions.

Thanks

Ok.....

So I have kicked around the idea time and time again....

I'm doing it and I need your opinions.

I am 5-9" - 34" waist - 170 pounds - Torso length 20" ( I measured it does this sound right?)

Using this pack for up to 10 day back country hunts / Packing out meat.

I am looking at getting one of the following:

Duplex Lite/Ultralite Frames Duplex Lite/Ultralite Frames Duplex Lite/Ultralight: Duplex Frame Ultralight 1/16"; Frame Length: 24"; Shoulder Strap Length: Long (18" Torso or longer); Belt Size: Medium (34" - 38" waist); Belt/Shoulder Strap Color: Coyote Brown (Height: 5-9"; Weight: 170; Waist Size: 34; Inseam: 34; Back Profile: Normal)
And
Cargo Panel Cargo Panel Color: Coyote Brown ( I WILL USE DRY BAGS TO PUT MY GEAR IN)

OR THIS OPTION:

22" and 24" Tactical Platform Frame And Suspension Shoulder Strap/Belt Color: Coyote Brown; Stay Options: Ultralight Composite Stays; Frame Length: 24"; Belt Size: Medium Duplex Belt (34"-38" (Your Height: 5-9; Your Weight: 170; Waist Size: 34; Your Inseam: 34; Back Profile: Normal)
And
Mountain Warrior(5,750ci / 94Liters Bag Only) Color: Coyote Brown; Top Lid: Guide Lid (1,200ci)

Give me your thought please on these three different setups.

GregB

WKR
Personally the cargo panel with dry bags doesn't sound like a great idea. I think it would make it difficult to run in a day pack mode and keep things organized. The Mountain Warrior is a good option that was one of the bags I was considering. I ended up with the AMR, it's bigger than the MW you can pack a ton of stuff in it, and it compresses down nicely a a day pack. I do like the panel load on the MW though.

jmav58

WKR
Instead of a cargo panel, I have the nomad 2 that has the wings and you can stuff a dry sack in between. If not dry sack and just doing day hunts, the two wings are 900ci a piece. Throw a lid on there and it's a nice little day pack. I've got the grab it 2 on the bottom as well.

If you want to go the cargo panel route- combine it with the tactical frame. This will give you actual options for how you attach it to the frame and use it. The Lite frame gives you one attachment point, and it is not the best attachment for the Cargo Panel. (count me as one who loves the cargo panel)

If you want to go the bag route- either frame would work- but again- the lite frame only gives you the very bottom of the frame to attach a meat shelf to. Some people don't mind that- I hate it.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
Best bet is to just give them a call they will be able to help you out best. Aron has always responded to all my emails very quickly even if not kifaru related also if you wanted to go that route.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
Add a couple large belt pouches or the new Claymore to the cargo panel and you have a very versatile system. The big bags are nice when doing longer hunts but personally I've never liked them in day mode. Too much material all over for my liking. As full choke pointed out having multiple spots to attach the CP to is very nice.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My pack/frame arrives tomorrow. I went with a Fulcrum. The design is pretty cool, and the large compartment collapses down for a day bag and uses the wing pockets essentially the same size as the nomad mentioned above.
I chose this over a reckoning because of the larger size and the zippers on each side pocket.

Felix40

WKR
I would lean toward a small belt if you are a real 34” waist. Im a 32 and bottom out a small any time I carry heavy stuff. Thats just my experience.

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
Second what Felix said. The small will have a little extra in it, and you’ll want to be able to cinch it down below 34 when you have any weight in the pack.

OP
MallardSX2
I am leaning towards the fulcrum with the tactical frame now.

Thanks guys.

I think I will give them a call today and place my order.