Kifaru Pack for Horn Hunting

So, I have a T2 but I think it might be a little big for what I am interested in doing. I am looking for the perfect pack to use while horn hunting. I need something light and able to carry up to 80 lbs of antlers. It has to have room for a water bladder, spotting scope/tripod, and a little bit of food. Any ideas what set-up from Kifaru would best suit my needs? I was thinking the DT Frame with a cargo panel, but then there is no bag to put the items I bring with me.

Would my T2 with the added cargo panel be my best option? Just sinch the bag down as tight as I can get it, add the cargo panel and go from there? I just want an easy and durable system that allows me to strap plenty of antlers to it without having the load be awkward or losing any of them along the hike.

I used a 2200 last year but had to rig up 550 cord loops all over the pack to attach to each antler so I wouldn't lose them along the way. I hated that pack and every time I used it (which was about 5 days a week for 3 months) for carrying antlers I would just get upset :)

Any ideas??

Thanks!

I think that the Timberline or DT line of packs is perfect for what you want to do. The side pouches cover your spotter and tripod while the top lid and the two pouches on the front of the pack will carry whatever daytrip stuff you want to bring. Add a grab-it in concert with the compression straps or a cargo panel and you have what you need to hold the bone.

I think it will work fine. I have used my Kifaru Longhunter Guide 7200 cu for shed hunting. Kifaru packs cinch up real small for day use but expand for the big loads.
_DSC2589.jpg

Pick up the horizontal lashing kit from Kifaru and I think you would be good to go... Little lighter than the cargo panel and should be able to fit around a TON of bone!

Mike

JG358

WKR
HellsCanyon,

The pack already has horizontal compression straps so he probably wouldn't need the kit.

Larry

The built in straps do not go all the way across the pack so you'd be limited to only cinching stuff down over the side slot pockets. With the lash kit you can run straps from one side of the pack to the other and cinch everything down nice and tight all the way across the pack.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I would go cArgo panel on your T2 for she'd hunting. If I can throw this much gear plus an inflated raft in my t1 and cargo panel some day hunt gear plus a PILE of sheds should fit in the T2 and cargo panel.

IMGP1349.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Cool picture Luke, but sure woud suck if the winds kick up!

Haha yeah just left it blown up or the short portage from the lake we hiked into and camped at to the river we floated out on normally I carry the raft like this

IMGP1275.jpg

JG358,

The raft weighs in at 17 pounds with a payload of 1000 pounds and it has a self bailing floor which is very nice. I own two of these rafts now and hope to use them to float a moose out of some harder to access areas.

millsms

FNG
Haha yeah just left it blown up or the short portage from the lake we hiked into and camped at to the river we floated out on normally I carry the raft like this

IMGP1275.jpg

JG358,

The raft weighs in at 17 pounds with a payload of 1000 pounds and it has a self bailing floor which is very nice. I own two of these rafts now and hope to use them to float a moose out of some harder to access areas.

I've used those rafts from Larry Bartlett on my caribou float hunt in ANWR i did with my brother a couple years back....float drag you animal down in some parts right :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've used those rafts from Larry Bartlett on my caribou float hunt in ANWR i did with my brother a couple years back....float drag you animal down in some parts right :)

Pretty sure Larry just started using these style rafts last year, before that it was all pro pioneers which are sweet boats too, but at 80 pounds certainly not a packraft ;)